.22 Hornet -----not trigger related - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Bigfeet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

There are some serious Hornet nuts around here. I'm suprised Vincent and Jed haven't chimed in yet. I bought mine when my cousins started getting into HMR's. I liked the idea of a small reloadable round so I went for a Hornet instead. I like reloading and have never regretted it. I know an Hmr is an apples to oranges comparison but the grin factor is the same. It will whack the snot out of a plinking target.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
kimberkook

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
The fellow that started this thread lamented that the Ruger #1 was no longer available in 22 Hornet, and we've evolved the discussion to a hornet love fest. All fine and good. I wouldn't think of raining on this because I love my hornets too. I also love my 218 Bee, another hoot of a cartridge. So, maybe you'll enjoy these links if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=91129831

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=91038816

I don't have any dog in this hunt. Enjoy.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Alright another thread for us Hornet Junkies! I personally have a 77/22 all weather hornet and love it. I believe Uncle Jed also has a 77/22 Hornet and Vincent has a CZ and they both have great things to say about them. I'm sure they will both chime in soon. The biggest problem with mine is i don't have enough time to shoot it.
Isn't it amazing, concerning the .22 Hornet! Back in the 1960's, when I bought my first High Powered Rifle, a Remington M-700 ADL in .222 Remington; I though the .22 Hornet was a dead cartridge that would no longer be available in a few years. NOW, it seems there are MORE Rifles chambered for the Hornet than for the .222 Remington, a cartridge that was suppose to "Kill-Off" the .22 Hornet!!........Just goes to show you that ~"What goes around, comes around~...." I hope the same thing happens with the .222 Remington as well as with the .218 Bee. I would love to see a neat little bolt action rifle chambered for the .218 Bee.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
dumac

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I also think the .218 Bee is a pretty neat cartridge....I've been looking at a Custom Mannlicher stocked 1950 Winchester model 43 chambered in the Bee for couple weeks which is driving me nuts, the wood is unbelievable!
There is more neat stuff like this on saubier.com where you'll run into .22 Squirrel & .22 minks which area really neat when you actually pull a blueprint on either and see the possibilties.
Dumac
Old 02-02-2008, 03:41 PM
apachebrave
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stretched Version

Whoa! Is that a Hornet Magnum?? Hornets have always interested me...I just never yet jumped into one...but I am about too. I have seen the CZ Prestige on their website...but never seen one in person. Now I see why they call it that. I saw on the Gander Mtn website that they have all of their firearms ...new and used on sale for 10-30% off and that's not bad...most of the time....Think I will at least check it out. Reloading .22 Hornet....Are Nickel cases better? I am going to check out Saubier also...sounds interesting...

Last edited by apachebrave; 02-02-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added more to end
Old 02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
dumac

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
The Bee was a stand alone cartridge from the Hornet, Here's a link to an explaination; http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/218b.html
The Hornet does have lots of cousins thou, the K-Hornet, Akley Hornet in several different calibers along with the Mink & Squirrel all using Hornet cases, albeit different lengths, shoulder angles, etc., Pretty addictive stuff for the reloader who wants something a bit different.
Dumac
Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
apachebrave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornet Wanter

Now you guys also have me hooked on checking out the .218 Bee. But no matter ...my .22 Hornet will come first...I Think....Ha! Like some of you have said...I also like the .17 HMR, but the Hornet I gotta have one. For another reason...I want to reload and I have always had a soft spot for small centerfires...Guess I could not find what I wanted...I know I didn't look hard enough. I know Marlin made a lever action .218 Bee. Didn't want invest in a Cooper and not know whether I would really like the caliber or not. But if I bought a small cenerfire I was looking for accuracy. Since I was on the smallbore rifle team in high school, just got used to an accurate rifle. I know there are tack driver .22 centerfires but I like...The Hornet...Gotta Have!! Wow! that 2nd Ruger No.1 is a beauty....but no bids and started high...Yet the other one is at $774...little difference in price....lotta difference in stock figure....

Last edited by apachebrave; 02-03-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added Wow!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
We have two. My daughter's NEF SuperLite and my CZ.

The NEF should not be over looked. They are inexpensive, accurate and fun. Lot's of stuff you can do them. They are easier to "K" if that makes you happy. Good for around 1 MOA

What can I say about the CZ 527 that has not already been said? Mine is a consistent 1/2 MOA shooter. I use it as a single shot with a single shot adapter. I use the BobSled adapter. That does away with the "ugly" magazine. I do it for other reasons.

The new style 40 grain bullets are long. I like the Hornday 35 and 40 grain V-Max. I load them both over 13.0 grains of Lil Gun in Remington cases Rem 6 1/2 SR Primers.

I have written several posts about setting up dies and loading the 22 Hornet. You can search them using my name.

I also shot the Hornet and K-Hornet in a T/C Contender for 25 years.

The 22 Hornet has been my favorite cartridge for many years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
apachebrave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornet Buzz

I hadn't thought about NEF...That's great idea for trying the K- Hornet. And where did you get the single shot adapter for the CZ? I will definitely check out your previous posts. Is your CZ 527 Maple stock? What scope do you have on the CZ...whole gun looks great...?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachebrave View Post
I hadn't thought about NEF...That's great idea for trying the K- Hornet. And where did you get the single shot adapter for the CZ? I will definitely check out your previous posts. Is your CZ 527 Maple stock? What scope do you have on the CZ...whole gun looks great...?
I got my BobSled from Bob Hahnin, he also makes some great bore protector for cleaning the 527.

The NEF does make a fine and accurate little knock about fun gun. There is alot of tuning info here on how to fix them up. Plus you can get additonal barrels for the same frame.

Yes my CZ has a maple stock and I like it alot. Maple is weird. It keeps changing and the stock is prettier today than it was 1.5 years ago! It is also much harder than walnut. Several times I have wacked it against something and thougt there would be a mark but there was no ding

The scope in the picture is a Mueller APV 4.5 -14X. The rifle currently has a BSA 8-32X "Platinum"

I have almost stopped shooting my other centerfires since getting this little rifle. With it's set trigger and stunning accuracy it is a very interesting rifle..

Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
apachebrave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 Hornet Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I got my BobSled from Bob Hahnin, he also makes some great bore protector for cleaning the 527.

The NEF does make a fine and accurate little knock about fun gun. There is alot of tuning info here on how to fix them up. Plus you can get additonal barrels for the same frame.

Yes my CZ has a maple stock and I like it alot. Maple is weird. It keeps changing and the stock is prettier today than it was 1.5 years ago! It is also much harder than walnut. Several times I have wacked it against something and thougt there would be a mark but there was no ding

The scope in the picture is a Mueller APV 4.5 -14X. The rifle currently has a BSA 8-32X "Platinum"

I have almost stopped shooting my other centerfires since getting this little rifle. With it's set trigger and stunning accuracy it is a very interesting rifle..
Thanks!....Yes, for doing a K-Hornet I did not want to put alot into it, just in case it does do that good, but you are happy I see. Thought would be good for my first endeavor on a K-Hornet. I agree with you...those Maple stocks are out standing. I had one on a Rem 541-T and it was beautiful...Going to definitley consider that CZ in a Nice standard .22 Hornet....Have a great day...Really looking forward to my purchase...What do you think about Gander Mtn gunsmith's doing the job of rechambering?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Personally I know nothing about Gander's gunsmithing.