Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 PM
chuckles
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I third the stickey thing. Bump to keep it on top.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Plinky&theBrain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You just made my day.

A definite sticky.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 AM
22only
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"bump"
Old 03-02-2007, 09:54 PM
KwM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the detailed information

Thank you very much for the detailed description and great photos.
Really nice write up!
This thread should be a sticky.

Regards, KwM
Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Jet-A

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks chim for your very detailed tutorial. It made things very easy. I did find one thing odd about my Buck Mark Micro Std. though. Mine was made in 2004, but it appears I have no magazine disconnect. Mine looks exactly like the one in this pic:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/462705.jpg
Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You're quite welcome. I don't know when Browning began with the mag disconnect. I believe it was probably within the last year or two.

Yours does have the plastic insert for the firing pin doesn't it?..............chim
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 PM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post
Remove the barrel/rib assembly. All you need to do is make sure the gun is empty and lock the slide back, remove the mag, remove the rearmost screw of the rear sight (or rib if so equipped). Note the locations of the washers.
chim,

I took off the plastic sight base from my new Camper in order to install a TacSol rail with rear sight. Only the front screw had a washwer, kind of molded in the shape of the flush fitting hex screw, with gear like ends. The rear screw did not have a washer. Should it have one?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 AM
greener
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent set of instructions. Definite bookmark and should be a stickie. For us folks accustomed to simple, easy pistols like Ruger MKIII's, the Buckmark seems to be fairly complex.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
chim,

I took off the plastic sight base from my new Camper in order to install a TacSol rail with rear sight. Only the front screw had a washwer, kind of molded in the shape of the flush fitting hex screw, with gear like ends. The rear screw did not have a washer. Should it have one?
Good question. I've seen some Brownings with washers in different locations. There was one I had that wouldn't work without a washer under the rear of the sight - the slide was pinched down too tight.

I never had a Browning with a plastic sight. Does the rear screw have a "shoulder" on it, like the bolts they use on lawn mower wheels so the screw gets tight before it compresses the wheel - or in this case sight base?

I don't know why Browning made changes through the years, but can only guess there are some differences in the rear sight bases. I don't have one to look at right now, but I did have a Standard that was probably made in the early 80's. I believe that rear sight base was thinner and made from stamped steel. The only rear sight base I have at present (the rest have factory rails) is from a Bullseye that's about 10 years old. The Bullseye sight looks like it is made from an alloy, and appears to be thicker. It doesn't have any washers under the base......................chim
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 AM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure what the bolt shoulder looks like, it's pretty much a flush fit hex head screw that matches and fits in the base hole. The front washer looks like this one (top right) with the gear type ends.

Quote:
Good question. I've seen some Brownings with washers in different locations. There was one I had that wouldn't work without a washer under the rear of the sight - the slide was pinched down too tight.

I never had a Browning with a plastic sight. Does the rear screw have a "shoulder" on it, like the bolts they use on lawn mower wheels so the screw gets tight before it compresses the wheel - or in this case sight base?

I don't know why Browning made changes through the years, but can only guess there are some differences in the rear sight bases. I don't have one to look at right now, but I did have a Standard that was probably made in the early 80's. I believe that rear sight base was thinner and made from stamped steel. The only rear sight base I have at present (the rest have factory rails) is from a Bullseye that's about 10 years old. The Bullseye sight looks like it is made from an alloy, and appears to be thicker. It doesn't have any washers under the base......................chim
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Jet-A

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You're quite welcome. I don't know when Browning began with the mag disconnect. I believe it was probably within the last year or two.

Yours does have the plastic insert for the firing pin doesn't it?..............chim
Mine does has the plastic insert for the firing pin. I thought mine had a magazine safety until I took the grips off, so I never bothered to try firing it w/o magazine. Then after everything was put back together I tried firing it with a snap cap and no magazine and it fired.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:08 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Not sure what the bolt shoulder looks like, it's pretty much a flush fit hex head screw that matches and fits in the base hole. The front washer looks like this one (top right) with the gear type ends.

I think that is called an external star lock washer. A shoulder srew / shoulder bolt is as shown in the picture below. IIRC the screw on the rear sight was a flat head with a short shoulder. They are made with a larger diameter "shoulder" that comes into contact with the piece it threads into before it gets tight on the piece you're fastening to it. A common use in for attaching wheels to walk-behind lawn mowers. The shoulder gets tight to the frame before the axle of the wheel gets pinched..................chim

Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No sholder, both of them look like this. Can't post pic, you have to click the link I guess. Seems tight enough so I think the new tacsol rail is ok.

Quote:
I think that is called an external star lock washer. A shoulder srew / shoulder bolt is as shown in the picture below. IIRC the screw on the rear sight was a flat head with a short shoulder. They are made with a larger diameter "shoulder" that comes into contact with the piece it threads into before it gets tight on the piece you're fastening to it. A common use in for attaching wheels to walk-behind lawn mowers. The shoulder gets tight to the frame before the axle of the wheel gets pinched..................chim

Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Hoffy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since I'll be field stripping my new Contour for the first time this weekend (my first time for any pistol), I'll give this a bump so it's handy. I won't take the grip off or take the trigger apart, but Chim's pictures will still be helpful.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Hoffy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chim,
Just checking...does the (metal) Recoil spring guide rod really rest directly on the (metal) barrel of the Buckmark Contour 5.5?
Hoffy