Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 02:45 PM
peteyboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need help identifying and valuing an old Colt

Any help is appreciated. I have an old Colt rimfire. On the barrel is says "Colt Official Police 22 Long Rifle". S/N is 261XX. My research tells my it is from 1940. I would say it is in 97% condition. It has an adjustable rear sight. I couldnít find a similar one on GB
Old 11-16-2019, 03:05 PM
peteyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need help identifying and valuing an pics of the olt old Colt

A few pictures.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Nice gun.

You have Id'd it. There are several on Gunsinternational.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 03:47 PM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Can I play , too ?

You do realize that the rear sight is a Smith and Wesson from , say , perhaps , a K-frame model ? It looks good , and , probably shoots well , but , the "collector crowd" will turn up their snooty little noses . This was a popular conversion " back in the day " , and , should be considered "period correct" .
Old 11-16-2019, 05:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Value is really hard to determine,an original OP in 22 would probably be 6-$700. The grips itís wearing date to the 50s and early 60s and are probably worth $250-$300.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:29 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Imo, because it has been modded its pure collector value is dropped, but it is still a Colt though more to the shooter class. It may have been 'built' by a Colt fan to compete against the S&W K-22s when revolvers were still used in Bullseye.
Your best return may well be to get a 'less collectable' set of target grips for it (most anything for the Official Police, Officers Match and Python fit that), plenty reasonably to be found and sell those Very Collectable grips separately.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:36 PM
peteyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Imo, because it has been modded its pure collector value is dropped, but it is still a Colt though more to the shooter class. It may have been 'built' by a Colt fan to compete against the S&W K-22s when revolvers were still used in Bullseye.
Your best return may well be to get a 'less collectable' set of target grips for it (most anything for the Official Police, Officers Match and Python fit that), plenty reasonably to be found and sell those Very Collectable grips separately.
Thank you one and all. Now I know pretty much what this revolver is. I will determine what to do about the stocks , whether to leave them or replace them and sell separately. After that, what avenue to sell the revolver. I am really not a Colt guy and would love to get it to someone who would appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:47 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyboy View Post
Thank you one and all. Now I know pretty much what this revolver is. I will determine what to do about the stocks , whether to leave them or replace them and sell separately. After that, what avenue to sell the revolver. I am really not a Colt guy and would love to get it to someone who would appreciate it.
I would just leave it as is and let teh buyer play with the mods. Unless you have some stocks in your desk drawer, why bother?

As far as price goes, due to the mods, just put it up for 0.01 on a gun auction site and let it go for what it goes. but note the mods.

if some collector wants it, they will pay what they think its worth.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Why bother?
Because a lot of guns seem to be worth more in parts than they are together now Unless they are pristine and un-modded, the way 'collectors' want them.
My guess (and it is a guess based on MY gut) is that those grips alone on a bidding site will bid high while on the gun as a 'package' the bidders will be trying to get the grips more than the gun so the 'gun side' of the package will be low, but it would move the whole thing in one sell.
If it really is all about the money, and why else sell, get as much as ya can.
Now if you could prove that was one of Elmer Keith's guns the mods wouldnt matter.......
Old 11-19-2019, 07:23 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It also depends on the individual. I have a Bannerman modified trapdoor. It is worth more in parts than as a whole. I will never break that up. That is an emotional decision, not a business decision. Most dont consider Bannerman part of out shooting heritage and a modified gun is not worth saving. I dont agree. Now, if I owned a business and had a family counting on me, my decision might be different. It all depends, there are good reasons to go either way.

In this case, I have no knowledge or opinion. I am just talking in general, parts value vs the whole is not always a consideration. Not for me.
Closed Thread