Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:44 PM
matteo323

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
which .22 semi auto pistol to buy

hey guys need help picking a .22 semi auto. I shot both the Walther p22 and the ruger sr22 tonight. Had less jams with the ruger, they both were pretty accurate,kinda favored the ruger. I also like the 1911-22's and really like the Rug.er mark iv 22/45. I really want a pistol that is very accurate and has less problems with jamming. From your experience with different pistols what do you guys recommend.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo323 View Post
hey guys need help picking a .22 semi auto. I shot both the Walther p22 and the ruger sr22 tonight. Had less jams with the ruger, they both were pretty accurate,kinda favored the ruger. I also like the 1911-22's and really like the Rug.er mark iv 22/45. I really want a pistol that is very accurate and has less problems with jamming. From your experience with different pistols what do you guys recommend.
A revolver
Old 11-03-2019, 08:55 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. It's very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Since you already like the 22/45 go with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If you like the 1911 style, then get a 1911 lower off of Gunbroker and 1911 22Lr upper. I have a S&W lower and a Nelson Conversion upper. Great trigger and very accurate.

If you want accurate and do not mind spending the money, then look at the Volquartsen Scorpion (based of Ruger MKIII 22/45) or the Volquartsen Black Mamba (based on Ruger MKIV 22/45).

Lastly, as stated, you cannot go wrong with a Ruger MKIV 22/45, lots of upgrades available.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 PM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a ATI/GSG (made by SIG) 1911-22LR. Really nice. Not really for carry purposes, I just liked the gun. I put USCG grips on it 'cause I am a Coastie and had never seen CG grips before. Skeletonized trigger and threaded barrel standard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gsg2.jpg (508.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Lastly, as stated, you cannot go wrong with a Ruger MKIV 22/45, lots of upgrades available.
They have a good following as do the Buck Marks.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 AM
matteo323

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks guys I'm gonna give the 22/45 a shot.They have a black and gold one that really caught my eye. When I put in for another purchase permit I might give the 1911 suggestion a try.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:30 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For both accuracy and reliability, the Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark IV series are excellent. I have heard the sr22 was reliable, so; I assume the OP was trying to economize on bulk ammo. I could have got that story wrong. I would not expect anything remotely like bullseye accuracy from an SR22. It is not that kind of gun. Again, I could be wrong. I may try sr22 long barrel some day. For fun, not for shooting paper.

For reliability, shooting crap ammo is a crap shoot in any 22. My two recommendations are based on CCI ammo. Those two will both run mini-mags for field use or Std Vel for range use. You could consider a spring change in the MK for millions of mini-mags. I specifically recommend the gun and ammo combination. Beyond that I have no opinion.

Based on actual experience, ruger or Buckmark should be a 100% reliable with CCI and very accurate. My Ruger experience is the Mk I, II, III and IV. I dont know about the plastic frame version. Those maybe fine. I dont know. I have stood along side of a Buckmark Rosewood Challenge and shot that quite a bit. After 2 years and numerous bricks of CCI, not seen one malfunction. The Buckmark was shot with a bit with aguila target and norma match, even though that is outside my recommendation. No fails. Same ammo in the Mk IV and no fails.

Last edited by fourbore; 11-04-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a MK IV Target and a MK III 22/45 Lite. I can shoot the target much better than the lite because of the additional weight. A Tandemkross Boss muzzle brake has done wonders for the lite but it is still lots more muzzle flippy than the target.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:00 AM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the S&W Victory, Browning Buck Mark, and Ruger 22-45 Target. The S&W and Browning in my opinion are better than the Ruger. The take down on the Ruger is easier but the trigger is garbage and more expensive to up grade. Why do I have to do a tune up on there mags to make the gun reliable. They dropped the ball on the MK IV plus you can find the other two cheaper.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I go along with the last poster. Why buy a pistol and then spend more money to make it what you want.

I have owned a Browning Buck Mark since 2008. I think I have replaced the buffer a couple-three times, but that is about all.

My model was the Camper with the standard barrel - 4 inches or so. I was shooting bowling pins with it and having a blast. A buddy was also shooting a Buck Mark, but he had purchased the 8 in. target barrel. I shot his one evening and liked it so much, I ordered the Browning Target Barrel as well.

The longer barrel and extra weight improved my speed and transition from one pin to the next. My personal best time on 7 pins is 2.7 seconds. That was an unbelievable night. The time has been matched or beaten on occasion by some of the other guys. I have a holo red/green dot on the pistol. It just shoots and shoots.

If you want to move up a notch as I did, find a Browning Medalist and/or Challenger II. These are sweeter than the Buck Mark. Like moving from a Chevy to a Cadillac or Ford to a Lincoln. No modifications required. Just clean them occasionally and shoot and shoot.

VH
Old 11-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accuracy first.........

If accuracy is what you want, then look for a Smith and Wesson Model 41 or one of the high grade Brownings from a few years ago. Short of a purebred 22 target pistol they are about as good as you can find!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have all of those you mentioned. My choice boils down to the Buckmark or Victory. Both are very reliable and accurate with no malfunctions and have reliably shot any brand of ammo that I have fed them.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I have had every series of Ruger in my hands and still LOVE my Browning Buckmark better than any other I have tried
Old 11-04-2019, 03:07 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've owned a few semi-auto rimfire pistols. The SW Model 41 was my most accurate.