Old Brno 1 year of manufacturing - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:14 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

There are actually two different trigger configurations found on Model 1. Both are 2-stage Mauser type triggers. However the original design was not adjustable, the later has two adjustment screws. According to an email from Denny I just reread, the original non-adjustable triggers were only made from in the mid to late 1940’s. When the Model 1 was commercialized the adjustable trigger was introduced. At that point, some of the original non-adjustable triggers were replaced for the newer version. They are directly swappable.

I know of a number of TGF that have this non adjustable trigger, but also some that have the adjustable version. Hard to say if all were originally the non-adjustable or if some were made with each trigger version.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:21 AM
MagnumWheelMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info... I would have guessed these rings ( grooves being wider than standard tip off 22's??? ) are different than what came stock on my 10-22 for example???

I have several sets of Millet engraved rings, 2 of the other rifles I'm selling on this list ( a Winchester Jack O'Connor Tribute 270 & a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen both have them ) ( those not being tip offs though )

Also looks like Amazon is out of the engraved tip off's right now...

https://www.amazon.com/Millett-Engra.../dp/B003R6C35Y
Old 10-25-2019, 11:25 AM
MagnumWheelMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In this picture, the non adjustable ( or is it really adjustable as it has 1 screw adjustment ) trigger appears different than both triggers pictured

Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWheelMan View Post
In this picture, the non adjustable ( or is it really adjustable as it has 1 screw adjustment ) trigger appears different than both triggers pictured

Where is the adjustment screw you mention on the trigger you have?

That appears to be the non-adjustable trigger, but I have not seen the notch in the receiver behind the trigger like that... would be interested to see the machine marks in and around that divot. The spring that sits in the divot would seem to get rid of trigger take-up maybe... but again I’ve never seen that on a Model 1 before.

I have however seen a few different Model 1 which were later modified for other triggers to be affixed. Not sure on this one.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:15 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
The notch behind the trigger and what looks to me like a set screw to limit over travel is what I thought was different from the other examples that are seen on a #1. Maybe MagnmWheelMan can tell us if there is a spring or just a set screw.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:49 PM
MagnumWheelMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can’t post the picture for a while... but the number is “92” does not fit with the serial
Old 10-25-2019, 06:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mis-matched Bolt

Most likely your bolt has been switched with another rifle. Fortunately, this does not detract much from the desirability of a Model 1 except by serious collectors.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:31 PM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrax View Post
Most likely your bolt has been switched with another rifle. Fortunately, this does not detract much from the desirability of a Model 1 except by serious collectors.
Agreed. The vast majority of bolts are non matching. There are also replacement bolts with two tear drop shapes rather than numbers.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:05 AM
MagnumWheelMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 10-28-2019, 06:08 AM
MagnumWheelMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it appears to just be an overtravel screw, but the notch also looks factory, not just that an over travel screw was added to a non adjustable trigger???
Old 10-28-2019, 06:45 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
As far as I know, Brno Model 1/ Model 3 type receivers never were produced with that notch cut in for the overtravel screw as you describe/ depict. In fact, while the adjustable trigger and earlier non-adjustable trigger should be directly swapable, the notch cut into the receiver actually removes the metal the rear adjustment screw would normally pivot against making such a swap impossible without further modifications.

However, with Brno you never know, and I agree that the notch in the photos appears to be very well machined either way. Though I don’t see the fine transverse lines in the metal finish as can be seen around the notch and in the flat areas around the trigger. So further pictures would be required to really investigate, and even then, without a clues like a oTk stamp in the notch/ on the screw, we we likely only be able to speculate. I am also interested in how the hole cut into the trigger right where engagement with the sear occurs may effect things.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:50 AM
MagnumWheelMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hard to tell in that picture, but the bluing closely matches, which is what makes me think it was factory???

BTW... I thought it interesting, that pushing the trigger forward was how the bolt removed
Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWheelMan View Post
Hard to tell in that picture, but the bluing closely matches, which is what makes me think it was factory???

BTW... I thought it interesting, that pushing the trigger forward was how the bolt removed
Yes, pushing the trigger forward is the normal way to release the bolt on both the Model 1 and Model 3.

And I agree as I said, the finish of the notch appears to be very good. I’d still like to see the metal work compared to the rest of the receiver.

But I does seem rather unlikely that Brno would change the machining of the receiver and multiple trigger parts mid-production for a presumably very short period (based on no other example of a TGF trigger configuration being like this). The receiver is the one part where there really were only 2 versions (possibly made to different tolerances for different models), the Model 1/3 and the Model 2/4/5. Even the Stecher receiver was not modified, making it necessary to rely on a single action screw as the trigger mechanism uses one of the action screw holes.

Though it is Brno we are talking about
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 AM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Though it now strikes me... this would be a great opportunity for members here with other TGF (presumably manufactured at the same time) to inspect and photograph the trigger mechanism their example has equipped.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:54 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Once more the old admonition to never say never with Brno, but I've not seen such either.