am I wasting my time -- accuracy with takedown - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:02 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

With the TD they can be sensitive if you are resting the forearm on something - it will flex things and change your POI - if the support point changes or pressure changes.

Also will be a function of how tightly you have adjusted the barrel tensioning screw.
Most tighten it so that you have to use some effort to get the barrel on / off. that reduces flex
Old 01-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Okiedokie1959
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
There's accurate and then there's accurate.

This is a 50yd target shot by my unadorned, unmodified Takedown.

Not super-accurate, but accurate enough for me.
That's not bad at all, matter of fact that's right nice for the gun in question.. Unadorned- does that mean no optic ? just the barrel mounted iron sights ? If so are you still a teen with 20/20 eagle vision ? Next question, is the rifle broke down after each use and put in the back pack ?

I'm finding the same impact shift as others after being broke down and back packed..
Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have several TDs - two Chargers and a 16.5" SS TD... i use a Simmons scope on my 16.5" with iron sights/cheap red dots on the Chargers..

I had to remove the scope when I swapped the Ruger TD stock for a Magpul X22 (it got in the way on the bench). With fingers crossed, I re-attached the scope in the same position, then went to the range (with the TD broken down in its bag) and ran the 10 rounds using CCI standard velocity (1070fps, 40-grain LRN) at 25yds through a clear rotary mag. I made sure to first cycle the bolt several times before loading the magazine. After a couple deep breaths, here were the results:

i'm more than satisfied... this year i'll have access to longer ranges (50/100yd), so it will be interesting to see what this crotchety, half-blind old codger can achieve...

:-)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently installed the X22 stock and it made a big difference in accuracy. Even got a decent group with Federal bulk @ 50 yards and the Aguila SV group was a lot better. Now I need a scope with finer cross hairs. looking at the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-5X20 with pig plex or the Leupold FX II 2.5X20. Both will work in low rings and still go in the bag.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed the Leupold FX 1.5-4x20 on low rings yesterday and went to the range. It fits the gun perfectly and I dont need the high comb. Fits in the bag with the backpacker stock. With the finer cross hairs I got a 1" group at 50 yards with Fed Bulk and a little less with Aguila SV. It would be a good squirrel gun and very capable of head shots out to 50 yards. Pretty happy with this now but it was a chore getting there.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM
coloradokid

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
50 at 50

Love my TD, way more fun in the field, but she is accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (448.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I know this defeats the purpose of the takedown, but I keep my locking ring very tight and the rifle assembled always. I use a X22 backpacker stock and carry it in a regular rifle bag. I find the assembled rifle (mine anyways) is very accurate compared to my regular 10/22's. I'm using a ruger 16" threaded stainless barrel and that with the X22 stock and a Nikon 2-7 scope give excellent performance. I have no need to keep taking it apart and reassembling it, I just leave it alone. Actually it's my most favorite 22 rifle to shoot.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM
CSG
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just got a chance to shoot my Talo 10/22 today. Has the Backpacker stock, threaded 16.4" barrel, and hi-vis sights.

I didn't buy this as a target rifle, I bought it as a truck gun for camping. It's accurate enough to take small game from 25-50 yards IMO.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Taked...ets/21188.html

I've got the locking ring fairly snug as well but not so tight I can't break it down and reassemble it.

Last edited by CSG; 02-14-2019 at 05:21 PM.