Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 PM
no4mk1t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I'd like to offer a bit of insight into this thread.
I'm a Mod on NFATalk.org. We do independent silencer testing for peeps that want an unbiased assessment of the cans that are out there. Test results are gathered at test sessions around the country by folks that attend with their own firearms and silencers for us to test.
The baseline from which to determine the effectiveness of a silencer is a shot fired unsuppressed. Even if you are not interested in suppressors, the unsuppressed data is there if you are interested in learning which ammo is quieter, and how much barrel length affects dB.

This data is collected with industry standard meters and microphones designed and calibrated for the purpose. You cannot get accurate numbers from meters designed for workplace noise assessment, or from phone apps. They don't have the rise time necessary to accurately capture the spike of a gunshot. Yes, you will get a reading, but it won't be accurate.

We use B&K 2209 meters and 1/4" pressure mics which are industry standard equipment.

The data is free to view. Have a look.

www.nfatalk.org
Old 12-17-2018, 08:52 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Everything mentioned so far is supersonic. If you're really concerned about the neighbors you'll want to shoot .22 LR Standard Velocity (1050-1080 fps or so) to avoid the supersonic "crack" of the bullet. You can get good accuracy to 100 yards or so and less noise but it will still be easily heard a couple hundred yards away, depending on the terrain. Add a silencer and it's more like a hammer hitting a board. Or shoot CCI Quiets if you're just punching paper or squirrels up close.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:56 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
...The data is free to view. Have a look.

www.nfatalk.org

That's an amazing amount of data. Thank you very much.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
Add a silencer and it's more like a hammer hitting a board. Or shoot CCI Quiets if you're just punching paper or squirrels up close.
Actually, the sound a suppressed 22LR makes from a non semi auto is similar to disconnecting an air powered tool from the air hose. The best silencers and the quietest ammo lower the sound level to the point where striker impact noise seems louder to the shooter.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The results will be meaningless without proper equipment. Not interesting or less accurate or better than nothing - totally worthless. The duration of the sound is too short to be sampled with anything resembling ordinary measuring device. You need a very fast sampling rate. I tried this one time. I am sorry I forgot what I used. it was a joke. Joke on me. I was not using a supressor. I was comparing 30-06 to 22lr, etc. No luck. Human ear worked to some degree.

Last edited by fourbore; 12-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:58 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
Actually, the sound a suppressed 22LR makes from a non semi auto is similar to disconnecting an air powered tool from the air hose. The best silencers and the quietest ammo lower the sound level to the point where striker impact noise seems louder to the shooter.

You can quibble about whether a semi-auto sounds different from a non-semi-auto but I would describe my suppressed semi-auto .22lr pistols and rifles as sounding comparable to a hammer hitting a board. In fact I just did.

I would also describe my suppressed .22lr bolt-action non-semi-auto rifle as sounding comparable to a hammer hitting a board. I can tell the difference between the semi-autos and the non-semi-autos because my ear is a foot or less from the receiver and I'm not wearing ear protection. I can also tell the difference between the sound of a hammer hitting a board and a suppressed .22 and an air-powered tool being disconnected from an air hose, which I and neighbors all do fairly often, but to the neighbors my suppressed .22's all sound pretty much like a hammer hitting a board and not much more noticeable than a break-barrel air rifle, which they also sound like.