Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Win52d
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Win52d
Advice please

I currently have a Winchester 52D heavy barrel made in the mid 60s. When I acquired it back in the late 80s it had been neglected a bit. Only about 60% of the bluing remained and there are minor pits in the barrel from rust. I cleaned it up and used some cold blkuing on it. It doesn't look too bad but it isn't great. Does anyone know of a restorer that can clean up the pits and reblue the barrel to restore its collector value?

If that is not possible I was thinking of replacing the barrel to extract even more accuracy out of it and possibly use it in local BR competitions.

I will post some pics in the next few days if needed.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or you could just start a new thread in the 52 section....might be the easiest way.

As to collector value, I don't thing the gun will have a lot of value to a true collector once you have it reblued. In it's current condition the value in the gun may be as a shooter. Have you shot it enough to know how it shoots as it currently is?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Win52d

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Win52d
It shoots exceptionally well, though there is always room for improvement. I am not highly concerned about collector value as this one is a lifetime keeper. I would like it restored to as close to original looks as possible just for the pride of having something as gorgeous as it shoots. That is why I am also interested in an aftermarket barrel. I could get better looks and performance out of it and still have the original barrel warts and all for collectors values
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
You can get a nice target barrel installed and it will last you a few decades. Just do it. However, nice target barrels require nice target ammo. You will spend more on ammo in the next year than the install and barrel will cost.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A new barrel may not shoot any better.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litetrigger View Post
A new barrel may not shoot any better.
Exactly. If I was happy with the accuracy, I wouldn't do a thing to it except maintain it against further rust. It will never be a collectable so why go to the expense of doing anything to it? Use the money to buy cartridges it likes.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This would probably be my choice too. Clean it up. get it looking as nice as you can, and shoot and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you are trying to create an heirloom out of what you have there are a handful of people that could do the work for you. A couple can even re-rollmark the barrel if you so wish to maintain the integrity of the rifle. Doug Turnbull comes to mind, but he doesn't work cheap but his quality is above reproach. If the rifle shoots well I would leave the barrel alone and decide what you want to do as far as putting it back in respectable order per your wishes. Any firearm that is worked on by Turnbull will only go up in value as he is in a class by himself.

Rick H.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Could you post photos of the barrel?