Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wolf MT and SK Standard Plus Are the SAME

I wrote some version of this for about the 5th or 6th time so I thought I would give to you guys and then "stick it" in our tech section. The strange story of they gray stuff in your cases we call powder.

According to the people that make the stuff it is exactly the same. So why different results?

Ammo companies buy powder on the open market. I have this nasty little habit of pulling bullets and checking powder and loads. I have seen at least 4 different TYPES of powder in these two and several times that in charge weights.

How is that?

As I said ammo companies buy powder where ever they get the best deal with in a certain burn rate range. If you reload you know the same cartridge can be loaded with many different types and a range of burn rates. It is even more diverse in the open powder market.

When we reload a .44 Mag with with a max load of Win 296 or H110 (they are the same Ball powder) we have to trust that powder to be very close to the same thing if we bought the powder last week or last year. This is called Cannister Grade Powder and it comes with this precision. Because of that CGP is very expensive to make. If the people that load SK and Wolf MT used CGP the ammo would be several times more expensive than it is.

But SK Jagd, the company that makes this ammo or CCI or Winchester or Remington do not buy CGP. They buy Non Cannister Grade Powder by the tons, many tons depending on the amount of ammo loaded and rimfire companies load billions of rounds a year. They buy the powder from about 6 or 8 powder companies around the world and those powder companies will tell them something like this metric ton lot is with in "this" burn rate.

When SK Jagd gets the NCGP they do what is called a "Closed Bomb Test" to determine the EXACT burning rate at 24,000 PSI the SAAMI Max Average Pressure rate or MAP for the 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle, 22 Magnum and the 17M2. Based on the Closed Bomb Test they load a sample lot and shoot it in SAAMI approved pressure barrels using the piezoelectric strain gauge to further determine the accuracy of the pressure data and they shoot them in both SAAMI barrels and various real rifles and pistols to test for accuracy. If all that goes to plan they load several hundred thousand to several million rounds depending on the company and their budget

In the case of SK Jagd (a German Company) they are owned by Lapua (a Finnish company) and SK Jagd has a contract to make two types of 22 ammo for Wolf, Match Target and Match Extra. The same production line makes SK Standard Plus/Wolf MT. It is packaged in different boxes and THAT is the only difference.

Beyond that, what might be a great lot in your rifle may be a not so great lot my rifle and in fact may be that way for two rifles with consecutive serial numbers and this has been proven numerous times.

It drives the people that make the ammo crazy and it drives those of us that shoot it crazy but folks that is the way it is

Welcome to the wonderful world of rimfire ammo.

In fact the same it true of centerfire ammo. Remember me telling you about my nasty habit of pulling bullets? Once years ago when Winchester ammunition and Winchester powder were both made by the same company I got a box of Winchester .243 that was amazingly accurate. Winchester only made three powders that were suitable for loading the .243 and they were 748, 760 and 785 and Winchester only makes Ball powder so I thought I would pull an 80 grain bullet and try to figure out which powder they used in this great box of ammo.

Imagine my surprise when it was loaded with STICK powder

Here is another reference:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-same-quality/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 06-26-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
cx2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wolf & S&K

Your article was very informative. It finally gave a explanation as to why when I shoot S&K Standard Plus I'm getting bulls eyes. Then I switch to Wolf Match Target I hit low & to the left. So far I've been lucky that my many 22s love S&K Standard Plus.

Thanks again,
Fred
Old 04-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
More proof From Speedo2

Recently RFC member Speedo2toured the factory and here was his report as whether they were the same ammo:

Whole thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=1#post4523661

Report as to whether these were the same in post #16:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...8&postcount=16

Quote:
Wolf and SK are indded manufactured on the same production line. Only difference is in the packaging. If I understood them correctly, either Wolf or SK lables and boxes are fed into their machines per the requests from their distributors/productioiin orders. While I was there i saw both styles of packaging adjacent to their "boxing macine" (nice lady running it, too). At the time they were packaging SK, but both Wolf and SK box lables had the same lot number stamped on them. -S2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 03:28 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Also the same...

Likewise Wolf Match Extra and SK Rifle Match, same ammo. I shoot a lot of both. The 50 yard iron sight bench rest. I probably go through 20,000 rounds a year. My experience is that they are shooting the same. I can run out of the Wolf half way through a target, put in the SK and never need to change the sights. Nice stuff, good value for the price.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thank you very much for adding this to this thread. I originally was not even going to leave this open as a thread but close it as a tutorial. I am now glad I left it open.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quality and accuracy varies over the production life of the raw materials and the wear on the production machines. I suspect that manufacturers like Lapua, Eley, and the rest monitor the quality during production. Then they put the best stuff in their top lines, then the cheaper lines get the lesser stuff. Even the top line ammo varies from lot to lot, that's why competition shooters like to use only certain lot numbers. Don't expect little old scientists sitting behind custom machines making ammo one by one. That doesn't happen. Production comes first. Been there, done that.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wolf now being made by ELEY...

This was brought to my attention. From Champion Shooters Supply, LLC, website's.

"Wolf Match Extra is now being made by ELEY. Testing may be required to confirm if it will shoot the same in your gun as the Wolf made by SK."

"Wolf Match Target is now being made by ELEY. Testing may be required to confirm if it will shoot the same in your gun as the Wolf produced by SK."