Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
CDNN has VLEHP on Closeout

Like the subject line says. The now discontinued VLEH with a PINK Hogue Overmolded stock for $320 delivered to FFL. While I am not a fan of the pink stock (or any of the Hogue Overmolded stocks), this is a pretty good deal as it comes with the sixteen-inch (16.25") hammer forged barrel and a short bipod. CDNN also tossed in a TacFire reflex sight and a Winchester sling. That stuff, along with the pink Hogue stock, will likely be donated.

Mine is getting a Kidd trigger upgrade when I move it to a Volquartsen VX-5000 stock as the factory "target trigger" is not a great trigger. I dropped the same Kidd kit into a Tactical Solutions rifle I use for small-game hunting, and it made a world of difference. I expect the same level of improvement with this rifle. The VX-5000 should be pretty nice from the bench, and the balance of the rifle should be pretty good with the short bull barrel and the heavy stock.

I am going to start with a Leupold FX-I 4x28mm scope that I bought for $100. I like the idea of a light 4X scope paired with a short barrel. The rifle as shipped weighs six pounds, fourteen ounces due to the bull barrel.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-10...cal-pink.html#

Last edited by farscott; 05-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Going to reply to my own post. The "target trigger" on this VLEH is considerably better than the usual 10/22 trigger. The break is crisp even if the pull is a bit heavier that I like. I may hold off dropping the Kidd kit into it even though I have it sitting in my parts box.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:09 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I cannot pass up a good deal, so I grabbed a second one of these 10/22 VHELP rifles. I think I am going to leave the second one stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2018, 09:37 PM
LostJT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was on the fence, thinking about it. Got an email from them for free shipping, so I bought the last one. Already have an empty Magpul stock for it anyway.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I bought one of the VLEH (Target Tactical) models a while back. Didn't get the one with the pink stock, although I would have if it was available at that price at the time and just spent the $50 to get a new one in black. Out of the box accuracy was decent. I got a few groups at 50 yards in the high .3's to .4's but not with much consistency. The trigger was definitely better than the regular OEM 10/22 trigger, but still wasn't great and kind of heavy for me. I ended up putting in the Kidd trigger job kit also which was a world of difference. I still wasn't getting really good groups on a consistent basis though. I ended up putting the OEM trigger back in and sent the whole barreled action to Randy at CPC for the "Full tune-up". The best $200 I've ever spent on a firearm. It now shoots amazing. It is consistently under .5 at 50 yards with midgrade ammo, with some groups getting into the .2's on occasion. This by far exceeded my expectations. It now wears a Weaver Grand Slam 5-20 and is one of my favourite 10/22's to bring to the range. I still have it in the Hogue stock also. I tried a Magpul X22 Hunter stock but I couldn't get it to shoot as good as it was with the Hogue. When I purchased it it was a fairly new model and I think I paid just over $500 w/tax plus the $200 to CPC. Now you can get the rifle and the full tune-up for around $500 all in. Quite a bargain compared to what I have into some of my other 10/22's.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:45 AM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My LGS has one of the 2014 models with the black Hogue stock and a matte metal finish on the shelves, but the asking price is $500. It also has the barrel in contact with the stock. I like to support my LGS, but the price difference from CDNN is just too much. I cannot justify more than $200 for a black stock and a local sale, especially when a transfer is less than sales tax.

My first pink one is 2016 production per the serial number (0005-prefix), and the barrel is free floating within the stock. I hope the second one is as good.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:25 PM
LostJT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
picked mine up from ffl. seems good except the bipod is missing and the free sling they advertised wasn't there. will call CDNN tomorrow. hopefully they make it right.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Like the subject line says. The now discontinued VLEH with a PINK Hogue Overmolded stock for $320 delivered to FFL. While I am not a fan of the pink stock (or any of the Hogue Overmolded stocks), this is a pretty good deal as it comes with the sixteen-inch (16.25") hammer forged barrel and a short bipod. CDNN also tossed in a TacFire reflex sight and a Winchester sling. That stuff, along with the pink Hogue stock, will likely be donated.

Mine is getting a Kidd trigger upgrade when I move it to a Volquartsen VX-5000 stock as the factory "target trigger" is not a great trigger. I dropped the same Kidd kit into a Tactical Solutions rifle I use for small-game hunting, and it made a world of difference. I expect the same level of improvement with this rifle. The VX-5000 should be pretty nice from the bench, and the balance of the rifle should be pretty good with the short bull barrel and the heavy stock.

I am going to start with a Leupold FX-I 4x28mm scope that I bought for $100. I like the idea of a light 4X scope paired with a short barrel. The rifle as shipped weighs six pounds, fourteen ounces due to the bull barrel.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-10...cal-pink.html#
I didn't read any of this thread other than the start of it, and granted its like nearly 2 weeks old, but there is one part I don't get. Why would you spend over $300 on this gun, then replace the trigger and stock. Why not just build something from the ground up. Is the bolt/factory receiver/barrel worth $320 over whatever else you could do? Not trying to sound smart, it just sounds like another route would yield a better end.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:12 AM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
I didn't read any of this thread other than the start of it, and granted its like nearly 2 weeks old, but there is one part I don't get. Why would you spend over $300 on this gun, then replace the trigger and stock. Why not just build something from the ground up. Is the bolt/factory receiver/barrel worth $320 over whatever else you could do? Not trying to sound smart, it just sounds like another route would yield a better end.
Fair question. To me, the factory short hammer forged barrel, receiver, bolt, extended magazine release, magazine, and the bipod is worth it. A Ruger barrel of the same profile and length is $110 used, and I cannot get a receiver for less than $120. While the barrel can ship directly to me, I need to go through an FFL for a used receiver from the Classifieds, and a lot of the local FFLs prefer not to deal with individuals. So the factory rifle is the better deal.

I already had spare Kidd trigger components and some stocks, so I had no additional cash outlay. I also enjoy the process, so there is that.

My total outlay is $340 for the rifle, $100 for the Leupold scope and rings, $100 for the trigger components, and nothing for the stock (gift). That is a total of $540 for a custom rifle ready for the range.

Last edited by farscott; 06-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.