Maintenance on new 10/22 wood stock - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:20 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question hoppes wax cloth

I have been hearing some good things about these, think I will order one and give it a try. I use a silicone cloth on some of my blued guns, wonder if this wax cloth is better? I like the birchwood/casey lead remover cloth for my stainless guns, really does a great job cleaning and polishing STAINLESS STEEL ONLY. it keeps the discoloration removed from the front of the cylinder on my 1993 Taurus 94 4"SS. puts a nice polish overall too.has anyone tried the wax cloth?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 PM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hoppes wax cloth et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
I have been hearing some good things about these, think I will order one and give it a try. I use a silicone cloth on some of my blued guns, wonder if this wax cloth is better? I like the birchwood/casey lead remover cloth for my stainless guns, really does a great job cleaning and polishing STAINLESS STEEL ONLY. it keeps the discoloration removed from the front of the cylinder on my 1993 Taurus 94 4"SS. puts a nice polish overall too.has anyone tried the wax cloth?
While they don't give a MSDS sheet for the "yellow" wax cloths one can assume that they do not contain liquid silicone cause it is a safety hazard and also because it is "death" on transparent wood finishes over time.

The "grey" ones though prominently display the word Silicone so don't use any of those on your stock.

Renaissance is THE premier natural wax product that all others strive to imitate but fail to do so.

People shy away from it because of the cost and you have to get on the NET or at a woodworking store like WoodCraft etc. if you have one nearby BUT the per application cost is very small.

Rather that retype all the stuff on Renaissance look up on the INTERNET and do an advanced search here on RFC.

noremf(George)

PS: We have a forum dedicated to woodworking on RFC because 99.9% of questions like yours are global not brand specific. It is called "Stocks: Making, Repairing, Refinishing, Modifying, and Bedding"

Other tips there like how to clean a transparent wood finish etc.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking thanks George

I hope it works well, I decided to invest $6.00 and give the Hoppes wax cloth a try, will report when it arrives. I just need something to wipe some blued guns down with before I put them back in the gun cabinet.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:14 PM
TacticalCanuck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On factory stocks, unless they are really super special (the ruger one is not) I usually remove any varnish or hard finishes and then apply tung oil.

1 coat, wait a day, rub with 0000 steel wool, rub another coat on. Repeat for as long as you like, I find the best results between 5 and 7 days.

Unless you get a crack or a bad chip in the stock (and they are repairable too) any kind of ding is super easy to 'patch up' and the stock looks like new as long as you take care of it.

I find about 1x a year, a rub down and a touch up coat of the tung oil is all that you need to do, but only if you want to, usually in the spring when the warmer weather hits, as an excuse to be outside.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Red face received the wax cloth today

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremf View Post
While they don't give a MSDS sheet for the "yellow" wax cloths one can assume that they do not contain liquid silicone cause it is a safety hazard and also because it is "death" on transparent wood finishes over time.

The "grey" ones though prominently display the word Silicone so don't use any of those on your stock.

Renaissance is THE premier natural wax product that all others strive to imitate but fail to do so.

People shy away from it because of the cost and you have to get on the NET or at a woodworking store like WoodCraft etc. if you have one nearby BUT the per application cost is very small.

Rather that retype all the stuff on Renaissance look up on the INTERNET and do an advanced search here on RFC.

noremf(George)

PS: We have a forum dedicated to woodworking on RFC because 99.9% of questions like yours are global not brand specific. It is called "Stocks: Making, Repairing, Refinishing, Modifying, and Bedding"

first, doesn't feel very waxy ! warning on back states it contains something which the state of CA says causes cancer !! I am suspicious, don't believe this would be WAX. maybe a little silicone included but not mentioned? the plot thickens. I will try it soon and see if it does ANYTHING ! LOL
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 AM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If it does anything!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
first, doesn't feel very waxy ! warning on back states it contains something which the state of CA says causes cancer !! I am suspicious, don't believe this would be WAX. maybe a little silicone included but not mentioned? the plot thickens. I will try it soon and see if it does ANYTHING ! LOL
If it contains that warning then you can bet it will contain either liquid Silicone or Mineral Oil!!!!!!!!! See below on both of those.

If it does contain liquid Silicone odds on it showing up via lifting of the finish very quickly are really small and when it does "let go" you won't get an email warning you in advance. The finish will simply fail and 99.9% of the folks that have silicone impregnated finishes assume the finish itself failed not that it failed because it was mistreated.

A "little bit of Silicone" is just as bad as a lot. Liquid Silicone and Mineral Oil will migrate up to 1 meter from where they enter the finish and they cannot be removed via either chemicals or sanding!!

I would not use it!!!!!!!!!! Courting trouble that can happen happen weeks, months or years later is not worth it IMO and IME when there are better ways to do stock and metal protection that do not involve any potential "collateral damage".

You can use original formula Johnson's Paste Wax in the flat yellow can which will do every thing a silicone impregnated cloth or "sock" will do and then some if you are shying away from Renaissance and it's cost!

NO automotive waxes, NO home care waxes, NO gels, NO sprays, Nothing that says it will "feed" the wood such as Howard's Feed-N-Wax (Sticky on that),

https://rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/sto...D%20OTHERS.pdf

Nothing that says polish on it such as Scratch-X (Sticky on that also)

https://rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/sto...0ON%20WOOD.pdf

or Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax,

or Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen

or anything else that you either cannot get an MSDS sheet for or one that shows CAS numbers and you know how to look em up!!!!!!!!!!

They also can contain Mineral Oil which will also, in time, destroy a transparent wood finish.

Pictures in the "Stock" forum from folks like Henry about contaminates.

If you get the finish contaminated you cannot remove it and refinish without a barrier coat of Shellac which will involve extra labor time and is not as easy as it sounds.

Most of the PM's or emails I get are because of finish failures because of contaminates and in some cases the solution is to use the stock for kindling and buy a new one and that includes some 10/22 stocks.

Also you, or anybody else should really reconsider using steel wool on either a chemical coatings finish, bare wood or as an applicator for a finish.

Why?

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...74&postcount=4

Really don't want a PM from you down the road cause you have a screwed up stock finish cause of a contaminate you put on that you did not need to.

Done here for me. Again we have a forum specifically designed for questions like yours and trying to answer global ones for each brand of firearm takes too much time and effort when those questions have already been addressed.

I can only point out what the chemicals do, not what you want them to do or think they will do so is your choice on heeding them or not.

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 04-04-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:37 PM
armandoarriaga

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremf View Post

noremf(George)

Thank you very much