Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Tiger-Ock,
Almost identical experience. I bought it more or less on a whim, having had shot a buddies, and thought it was neat. Ended up putting a Kidd Trigger Job Kit, Magpul Backpacker stock, and UTG Bugbuster Scope on it. I have as much into it at this point as it cost me.

Had I read here for two hours first I would have made a different choice and bought a Sporter. I'm now in the process of building one off an OEM receiver I picked up on gunbroker, but aftermarket stock, barrel, bolt.

After that experience, I would have started with an Aftermarket receiver too!

The take down is fun, especially if you are just using the iron sights. Once you go with receiver mounted optic, it's a lot of work and you never get to as good as a standard model.

jam
Old 01-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Tiger-Ock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post

Ock,

1) Ended up putting a Kidd Trigger Job Kit, Magpul Backpacker stock, and UTG Bugbuster Scope on it. I have as much into it at this point as it cost me.

2)Had I read here for two hours first I would have made a different choice and bought a Sporter.

3)The take down is fun...

jam
Just Ock, thank you.

1) I overpaid for mine at Cabela's. I coulda saved $75 by buying online. Also over paid for my spare mags and BX trigger. I could have saved $300, counting the Magpul® (gulp), and had a new CZ, and been much happier if I had. Water or $$$ under the bridge. I probably got $300 worth of knowledge by fiddling with mine. Went in not knowing nothing, and now know my way around a 10-22.

2) Yes. When I got mine there wasn't much on the Internet but praise, as is usual for a gun review. Somehow, sometimes they just don't get into the details. And let's me tell you (you already know), that there are a few details to get worked out. If there is a way for a TakeDown to be inaccurate, I believe that I have seen it.

3) It is a fun piece if you got it shootin' straight. I prefer to have a firearm that shoots and retains accuracy without have too many hoops to jump through.

I have a Leupold 3-9x33mmAO mounted. Very good scopes that are being discontinued.

I had no idea how bad the OEM stock was until I got the Magpul®. Magpul® makes good stuff. I have some magazines, and a butt stock of their manufacture. If you likes premium plastic, they're the guys to go to.

I'm not here to bash Ruger, just tell my story, and try to help others who were drawn in to the TakeDown mystique.

Best,

Gun Bubba Ock
Old 01-29-2018, 10:42 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ock,
At this point I agree. If you want an accurate target rifle there are better options.
But for its purpose - a packable rifle - it’s not bad.

If you really like the Magpul, you could get their barrel optic mount and go with a compact scout scope, a red dot, or reflex sight. That barrel mount will address the accuracy concerns.

Or you can just use the iron sights.

It’s a plinker, not a bench rifle.

jam
Old 02-01-2018, 04:21 PM
ramiller64

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agreed.

I put a BX Trigger and Tech Sights on mine and it is a lot of fun. I doubt I will ever try to test its group size at 50 yards - but that is not what I have it for. It does surprisingly, and consistently well at 25 yards - which is about right for my purposes. It also swallows a steady diet of anything I feed it.

It is a fun one to have in the trunk of the car.

And yes, I have a scoped rifle for times when I want to reach out further or enter matches.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:36 AM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm 42 years old and my first rifle that was truly "mine" was a Marlin "Papoose" that I got for my 16th birthday. I still own the little take down rifle and love it....it's had 10's or thousands of rounds through it over the years.
When the 10/22 takedown came out several years ago I had to have one....thought it was super cool "and still do".
I live in Mississippi very near to Mossy Oak Camo's home base, and soon after the rifles came out there was released a Mossy Oak special edition with the camo bag, stock, etc. I paid way too much for it...$375 with a camo 25 rd mag, but it was cool. I thought It shot well enough for what it is. I spent some time and effort trying to get it to shoot one-holers, but ended up realizing that was kind of crazy. I ended up putting a red dot site on it to use for fun stuff like steel targets, etc. I actually found it in the closet a few months ago and we haven't shot it in a few years. Stil think they are cool guns, but certainly not made to win bench rest shoots. I think with some tweaking and the right ammo/scope, etc. they can be very accurate and probably more accurate than they should. However, I doubt that most will be able to take them down and re assemble without having to re-zero every time.