Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hydrographic film

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Barksdale123 
#1 ·
Just finished my first projects using duracoat and hydrographic film. I think they turned out pretty good. The red AR-15 with the Rose pattern was painted with single stage urethane paint, candy ruby red over silver metalic. After dipping in the hydro film all were shot with 2 stage urethane matt clear coat. The other three have a base coat of sunrise bronze duracoat. The duracoat srayed really nice.the hydrographic film is amazing. Several hours of YouTube tutorials had me confident I could DIY this.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Pigbuttons:
day 1 disasseble rifle, clean and scuff the anodized rifle. Sprayed the duracoat. About 2 hours total. Let dry over night.
Day 2 dip rifle in hydrographic film, rinse off pva residue from film about 1 hour . let dry.
Day 3 spray clear coat and let dry. Reassemble rifle
The Duracoat and 2k clearcoat cure enough to handle pretty quickly compared to rattle can paint and they are more durable and solvent resistant too.

#5 ·
Nick7274: You Tube was invaluable. I watched both DIY and Professional videos. The activator for the film is nasty stuff. Do it outside or with lots of ventilation in your shop or garage and not in your house and use a respirator. I sprayed the duracoat and clear coat with an air brush which worked great for the handgun slides. A touch up gun would be better on larger surface areas like the AR recievers and the 32 oz. stainless tumblers that did to Match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.