How did you get hooked / interested in .22 Magnum ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:01 AM
4x4_bugsy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Went kangaroo shooting a while back with a 223 rem but ran out of bullets (only took a box of 20!). My mate had his Winchester lever .22lr loaded with stingers and took out just as many although a follow up was usually needed.
First thing we both did when we got home was hunt down a 22 mag each. I got a savage 93 which had some serious FTF issues, just got a replacement at last. Got better hitting power but cheaper than 223, also not as loud, esp when mags can also shoot subs for those quieter moments...
Yes I know 223 is cheap for you guys sadly not here!
Old 08-19-2017, 09:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
My very first 22mag was a ruger single six and I only shot it a few times way too loud and only shot it after I got my first mag rifle. My first 22mag rifle I got from my older brother was a Ruger 96/22 and it was ok but not so much shooting off a bench up at Cedarville...lever actions and bags don't work very well together. I got to shoot my Brother's Marlin 983 SS and fell in love with it...just as soon as I got home from that trip back in 2010 I started looking and all I could find was NOS Marlin 883 in blue which I like better over Stainless back then. I hunted with that rifle almost every weekend when weather and time allowed...even when there was nothing to hunt or shoot it was great exercise. With 12 rounds in the tube I did not need any more ammo with me. I had a total blast walking about two miles over my hunting route and shooting at what ever caught my eye.

The main reason I love the Magnums is because when I do go rabbit hunting I want the power to kill what I shoot...I have had my years of trying to shoot rabbits at longer ranges and miss...trying to judge distance on the fly does not work for me...watching a jack run up a hill side 130yards out and stop a look back 22lr just does not cut it for me. With my 11 or so 22mags and 4 17hmr rifles it's just point and shoot. Bang~dead~dinner~happy

My very first 22mag rifle I bought was my Marlin 883 in back...loved it so much. When a 983 Fleur De Lis poped up had to have it and finally I bought my brothers 983 SS from him. All with V-16s on top great combination

Then I got CZitis too many rifle to post here.

Signalman
Old 08-19-2017, 07:39 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had .17HMRs, and .22LRs for years and years, but only just got a .22WMR barrel for my CZ455. I mostly got it to see what all the fuss was about. After a couple years now, I'm still waiting to find the fuss.
Frankly, my WMR barrel isn't all that grand a shooter. It's underwhelming. I have shot a LOT of .223, .221, .22 Hornet, etc. as well as a lot of HMR, and in my rifles at least, the WMR just ain't cuttin' the mustard. It doesn't shoot too awfully bad with the Hornady 30gr. loads, but everything else is mediocre, at best, and downright awful, at worst.

I can shoot my .22 Hornet for less money, and it shoots better, than my WMR barrel with ANY load I can scrounge. It just doesn't float my boat.

For hunting purposes, there's practically nothing I haven't kilt with a .22LR that I could kill with the WMR, or Hornets.

It just ain't my thing, I guess. When I've got this batch of ammo shot up, I think I'll peddle the whole rig (that 455 isn't all that great with .22LR or HMR, either, and I have another 455 that shoots lights-out).
My 452LR will outshoot both of them, too. Harrumph to the WMR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
I have had .17HMRs, and .22LRs for years and years, but only just got a .22WMR barrel for my CZ455. I mostly got it to see what all the fuss was about. After a couple years now, I'm still waiting to find the fuss.
Frankly, my WMR barrel isn't all that grand a shooter. It's underwhelming. I have shot a LOT of .223, .221, .22 Hornet, etc. as well as a lot of HMR, and in my rifles at least, the WMR just ain't cuttin' the mustard. It doesn't shoot too awfully bad with the Hornady 30gr. loads, but everything else is mediocre, at best, and downright awful, at worst.

I can shoot my .22 Hornet for less money, and it shoots better, than my WMR barrel with ANY load I can scrounge. It just doesn't float my boat.

For hunting purposes, there's practically nothing I haven't kilt with a .22LR that I could kill with the WMR, or Hornets.

It just ain't my thing, I guess. When I've got this batch of ammo shot up, I think I'll peddle the whole rig (that 455 isn't all that great with .22LR or HMR, either, and I have another 455 that shoots lights-out).
My 452LR will outshoot both of them, too. Harrumph to the WMR!
Sounds like you have an issue with the rifle.
What is the best it shot?
If bigger than 1"then something is no right.

This discussion is not about any claim being made about WMR is the replacement of other cartridges, it is for folk that appreciate it for whatever reason.

Best wishes.

R.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post

This discussion is not about any claim being made about WMR is the replacement of other cartridges, it is for folk that appreciate it for whatever reason.

Best wishes.

R.

Hornady's 30gr. VM load isn't too awfully bad, but rarely beats 1" at 100yds. ANY 40 gr. load is lucky to break 1.5", danged lucky. The 455 in LR is tolerable, .75" at 50 yards with HV hunting ammo. About like any other decent .22 LR. Frankly, for the cost of the WMR ammo, I can load Hornets a lot cheaper (if you shop carefully) with greater accuracy. It just isn't rockin' my world.

Other than prairie dogs, I really can't think of much that 30gr. load is good for, either. I love to shoot prairie dogs, but my trips out West to do that are over and done now. My buddies have quit those trips, and my new wife wouldn't think much of that, either, as she loves the "cute" little vermin.
So, the WMR shoots "okay, I guess" with a load that isn't good for much aside from PDs, which I can't hunt any more. That means, to me, that it's usefulness is limited to just about nuthin'.
If your WMR will shoot 40gr. loads decently, more power to you, but I'm not investing another dime into it.
Besides, that Hornet shoots exceptionally well, costs less to mess with, and isn't perceptibly heavier, either.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
Hornady's 30gr. VM load isn't too awfully bad, but rarely beats 1" at 100yds. ANY 40 gr. load is lucky to break 1.5", danged lucky. The 455 in LR is tolerable, .75" at 50 yards with HV hunting ammo. About like any other decent .22 LR. Frankly, for the cost of the WMR ammo, I can load Hornets a lot cheaper (if you shop carefully) with greater accuracy. It just isn't rockin' my world.

Other than prairie dogs, I really can't think of much that 30gr. load is good for, either. I love to shoot prairie dogs, but my trips out West to do that are over and done now. My buddies have quit those trips, and my new wife wouldn't think much of that, either, as she loves the "cute" little vermin.
So, the WMR shoots "okay, I guess" with a load that isn't good for much aside from PDs, which I can't hunt any more. That means, to me, that it's usefulness is limited to just about nuthin'.
If your WMR will shoot 40gr. loads decently, more power to you, but I'm not investing another dime into it.
Besides, that Hornet shoots exceptionally well, costs less to mess with, and isn't perceptibly heavier, either.
Fair enough.
My 452 shot lousy with most ammo.
That is until I lifted the receiver off the high spot in the stock and fully floated the barrel.
Now it shoots most ammo and bullet weights.

R.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
My 1st .22 Magnum was a Ruger Super Single-Six 6 1/2" convertible sometime in mid 1970's, my 1st handgun. I was surprised to find out Dad's Single-Six was now available as a convertible. I don't recall even shooting the Magnum cylinder for at least a year, using our mainstay Winchester Wildcats and Super-X. But when I finally decided to try it - I was hooked.

Which was your 1st .22 Magnum ?
j.r., I bought my Ruger SS/mag cyl. in 1966 iffc. I shot some WMR in it from time to time, but 99% 22LR. Then I was in service for a few years and didn't shoot any .22.

Years past, and I started shooting more and buying .22s, some new and some used. Then I found RFC and I really got into the game. A year or 2 ago I started thinking about getting a .22WMR to go along with my SS. I passed on an opportunity to get a Zastava WMR at Cabella's a couple years ago. Then Whittaker's (sp?) had the Zastava .22WMR about a 9 months ago [?approximately] at nearly the same price and I jumped on it. Why Zastava?

Well, I have a Rem Mdl Five (aka CZ99) and it outshoots all my other .22 rifles. Period!! I also have a Zastava (CZ99) [re Cabella's] that shoots nearly as good as the Mdl Five, and hangs in there with my CZs, Rem.s & Win.s. etc. So why not one in .22WMR?

I put a Bass Pro Oculus 3x9 by 40 scope on it. The glass is made by Steiner and and is clear and sharp as can be. I have not decided whether I like the 40 gr JHP or the 30 gr. PT. The poly tip is a barn burner as far as velocity, but doesn't seem as consistent as the heavier bullet. But to be fair, I have only put about 100 rounds through the barrel, so it may need a little more breaking in. Good excuse to get it out again.

VH
Old 08-20-2017, 11:17 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Me too, I would love a .250" with 60 grain soft lead bullets.
I have seen it mentioned on here in other posts.... Why doesn't Winchester make the .17WSM in .22? That would make a really super round for pigs, coyotes, etc. A .22WSM sounds good to me!

VH
Old 08-20-2017, 11:21 AM
drinva
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was a kid, .22LR was THE ROUND you killed everything with, and I do mean EVERYTHING.

.22WMR was RARE, it was what dreams were made of. NO ONE owned one, all you ever seen of them were in ballistic charts or in hunting sale magazine ads. A .22 that would shoot FLAT to near 100 yards? DREAM GUN, HAD TO HAVE ONE.

Finally in my late 20's I ordered one. Still have it today. I've since added QUITE A FEW to give it some company, and it's still my all time favorite round.

22magfreak

DR

Last edited by drinva; 08-21-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Best wishes.

R.
Sorry, you show me a .22WMR that isn't a high end Anschutz that will consistently shoot 1moa or better (5 shots) at 100yds and I'll eat my proverbial hat.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HAD a Savage A22 magnum that shot under 1" at 100 yards. But only with the Hornady ammo. Got rid of it because I HATE the accutrigger - or to be more precise, I hate the accurelease. Also HAVE a custom Winchester that does under 1" at 100 yards only with the Hornady ammo. But that is a custom job over the price of an Anschutz.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
Sorry, you show me a .22WMR that isn't a high end Anschutz that will consistently shoot 1moa or better (5 shots) at 100yds and I'll eat my proverbial hat.
Can't prove it but have seen it.
My rifle can do it too but I don't shoot targets very often.
All the best.

R.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back when, my father had a 22 mag Winchester pump for turkey hunting. In the late sixties, I shot it enough to really like the magnum. I once lusted after the 22 Automag. I purchased the PMR and a decent amount of ammo. Then, decided that I needed a rifle to go along w all the ammo. So, purchased a 597 and a 10/22.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 PM
JFK10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I was making money and had some discretionary funds so I bought a HK-300 for my first .22 magnum rifle. Had a HK-05 scope mount for it and ran a Burris scope on top. It was my go to varmint/ small game rifle for the longest time.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own two that will shoot MOA, I don't see what the big deal is really. Most guns are capable of it in my opinion. Problem is most rimfire guns have horrible triggers and the ammo isn't super consistent.

Both mine will NOT do it every time, but they will do it once or twice every 10 rounds depending on me, the wind, my trigger break and the ammo.

DR