How did you get hooked / interested in .22 Magnum ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
How did you get hooked / interested in .22 Magnum ?

My 1st .22 Magnum was a Ruger Super Single-Six 6 1/2" convertible sometime in mid 1970's, my 1st handgun. I was surprised to find out Dad's Single-Six was now available as a convertible. I don't recall even shooting the Magnum cylinder for at least a year, using our mainstay Winchester Wildcats and Super-X. But when I finally decided to try it - I was hooked.

A bit louder (my ears rung more - this was pre hearing protection times) and recoil was slightly magnified. This was fun!

I also noticed jack rabbits were more likely to die on the spot, vs. limping away from long rifle ammunition and me having to stalk closer for a kill shot (the exception were CCI Stingers, then the 'new kid on the block'). The .22 Magnum for me was mainly for hunting, having no difference on paper targets then standard long rifle. For quite a while, that revolver was my sole .22 Magnum.

Which was your 1st .22 Magnum ?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:34 PM
LSavant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How did you get hooked / interested in .22 Magnum ?

Wild Hogs began taking over the Deer Woods & the .17HMR would pass right thru em like hot butter. So I set out to get a .22WMR since it is 5 calibers larger and should deliver more Energy in Foot Lbs on target. After looking at what was out there, I bought a CZ 512. I upgraded the 5 Rnd Mag to a 10 and taped (2) back to back to increase firepower, since it's not uncommon to walk up on 50 hogs or even be charged by a Boar. I was not disappointed, the 512 has stacked 3 shots in a fist size group at 100 yds w/ Open Sights.
Killed quite a few hogs with it scoped as well, but recently put a Red Dot on it to make quicker jump shots; looking forward to breaking my High of 20 this season.

Last edited by LSavant; 08-16-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 PM
FyrepowrX
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Had a friend back when i was a kid that had a .22mag rifle; he and i shot a lot of stuff, and when popping bigger stuff, really began seeing the difference the 22mag's killing power compared to 22LR.

I regularly hunted with the .22 mags over the next 30 years, and now in the last 10 years even more so.... about that time we bought a farm that has a lot of coyotes, coons, skunks, and assorted pests, and the number of varmints that needed shot increased several fold. Hate to waste good targets of opportunity, and i shoot a lot of 'em.

about 4 Years ago, our favorite squirrel hunting creek bottoms got invaded by hogs, and the .22mag has done well for that, and kills noticeably faster than the .22LR...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 11:14 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never really liked the 22 lr. Too small for my fat fingers and it didn't feel like a real gun while shooting. Not much fun. Shot a Ruger single six in 22 mag and was hooked. Longer cartridge makes it easier handling and firing it felt more like a real gun. Much more enjoyable for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongochicago View Post
Longer cartridge makes it easier handling and firing it felt more like a real gun. Much more enjoyable for me.
Yup, there is a very slight recoil from the Magnum when shot off the bench that just seems to add to the fun. My brother and I noticed that when shooting them.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend bought a Mauser 101(I think).
I was impressed.
No longer hunt deer just game and varmints I sold my center fires and reloading gear.
I in no way have handicapped myself even dispatching a wounded deer I happened on.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gotta admit, one of the draws to .22WMR was the bigger BANG.
During the winters up here in Alberta I shoot a lot of airguns indoors. One of the downsides is it just doesn't seem right that you pull the trigger and it goes 'pfffft'
But mainly I wanted to be able to hone my ability to estimate and deal with wind and distance. My local outdoor range goes to 250m...not enough to really challenge my .308. With the .22WMR I can shoot and expect to hold decent (as in minute of 8"steel plate) groups out to 200m, and at that distance I do have to accommodate wind and drop.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a kid I always looked at .22 WMR with awe as it was bigger and "cooler" than .22LR. At 18, I bought a Ruger Single Six Convertible and was in love with the mag capabilities of that revolver. But the noise was 'horrendous!'
I bought my first rifle in .22 WMR, a Marlin 25M and mounted a Burris 4x Compct scope on it about 6 years later. It was more destructive than any rimfire and I loved it!

Both those guns have left the stable many years ago, but I have other .22WMRs and will always have rifles in the cartridge!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
. . . but I have other .22WMRs and will always have rifles in the cartridge!
Me too, despite the higher cost and having to look harder for Magnum ammunition, it is worth the trouble. I consider it essential for 'larger small game' animals like turkey and javelina. You can handload .22 centerfire cartridges down to .22 Magnum, but you are still lugging around the heavier rifle, not a rimfire.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:58 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The prevalence of feral dogs in one area I hunted 30 years ago pushed me to the .22wmr, once I'd shot it a bit I fell in love with the round.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:44 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
If I would have had a .22 mag when I was growing up, I would have been super happy. Not many of them around where I lived . . . or I was just unaware of them. First experience (painful) was shooting them out of a Single Six w the mag cylinder. As I recall, it was in the middle of the night while dispatching a skunk. The dog would not leave the skunk alone and kept barking at it. None of us could sleep. Flashlight in one hand, revolver in the other. Boom! Ears ringing and fire ball from the muzzle and in front of the cylinder. Skunk was killed but don't know if it was the bullet or the muzzle blast or the fire ball that got it. Since then, I have owned several rifles in .22 mag and enjoy them all. I like the bigger bore than the .17 HMR. More bullet weight choices. Almost as accurate.

I'd like to see a modern straight walled rimfire in say .243 or even .250 diameter. I think they'd be fun and pack a bigger punch. Probably won't happen.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:50 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
As a kid I had a Marlin 25M. I shot woodchucks in farmers fields so the cows would not step in the dens. The 22 mag would leave a hole with the internals hanging out the other side . I was very impressed.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 PM
FyrepowrX

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
As a kid I always looked at .22 WMR with awe as it was bigger and "cooler" than .22LR.
i still kinda get that feeling, even after many years of owning & shooting 22mags....hard to describe, other than just saying there seems to be something that feels cool about 'em...
Old 08-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Simple, I wanted something between a 22 LR and a 22 Hornet, and the Maggie is here to stay! I have pistols and rifles in 22 Mag, now to find time to shoot them!
FM
Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
If I would have had a .22 mag when I was growing up, I would have been super happy. Not many of them around where I lived . . . or I was just unaware of them. First experience (painful) was shooting them out of a Single Six w the mag cylinder. As I recall, it was in the middle of the night while dispatching a skunk. The dog would not leave the skunk alone and kept barking at it. None of us could sleep. Flashlight in one hand, revolver in the other. Boom! Ears ringing and fire ball from the muzzle and in front of the cylinder. Skunk was killed but don't know if it was the bullet or the muzzle blast or the fire ball that got it. Since then, I have owned several rifles in .22 mag and enjoy them all. I like the bigger bore than the .17 HMR. More bullet weight choices. Almost as accurate.

I'd like to see a modern straight walled rimfire in say .243 or even .250 diameter. I think they'd be fun and pack a bigger punch. Probably won't happen.
Me too, I would love a .250" with 60 grain soft lead bullets.