GI ammo cans & CCI-SV - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GI ammo cans & CCI-SV

The shortage of .22lr ammo here is over now, but what a mess! Especially since my .22lr is a fussy eater----CCI Standard Velocity is the only ammo it seems to digest, and of course during the shortage CCI-SV was as scarce as hen's teeth.

Now that it is back being stocked at reasonable prices, I've determined to lay aside a supply 'just in case.' FWIW, I thought it would be interesting to share my findings:

A standard (not the "fat") .50 cal ammo can will hold 3,600 rounds of CCI- SV in the blue card stock boxes, 6x bricks of 500 plus 12x individual boxes of 50. I don't know if this applies to other manufacturer's 500 rd bricks as the blue CCI bricks appear slightly smaller to my eyes than Federals.

The small 7.62mm/30 cal ammo cans will hold 1600 rounds of CCI-SV in the 100 round plastic slider boxes, 16 plastic sliders of 100 rounds vertically. This probably applies to all similar 100 round plastic slider boxes such as those for Minimags and Winchester Super X

Either or both will fit handily in the drawer of a locking steel filing cabinet for security.

I know that some fill ammo cans with loose ammunition in order to squeeze in the greatest number of rounds, but I don't because
1) .22lr ammo isn't the sturdiest of cartridges---bullets can get too cockeyed easily when subjected to abuse---I think the original packaging is the best protection against damage.
2) Just in case there should be a recall, I want to see my ammo in the original packaging with the lot #s to effect a replacement or refund.

That's all, folks!

Last edited by Hovannes; 06-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:03 AM
DBray6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I also wouldn't just fill up the boxes with loose ammo for the same reasons that you stated.

Check your math on the amount that will fit in the standard ammo can. Using you numbers I come up with 2100 instead of 3600. The bricks you stated are 500, not 1000.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember that before I got my ammo safe, I got 4300 rounds to a GI 50 can. Six (Wally 550) Value Packs, 14 50 round boxes to the side, and six on top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBray6 View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I also wouldn't just fill up the boxes with loose ammo for the same reasons that you stated.

Check your math on the amount that will fit in the standard ammo can. Using you numbers I come up with 2100 instead of 3600. The bricks you stated are 500, not 1000.
Right---that's what I get posting before my morning coffee!
I should have posted SIX 500 round bricks and twelve individual boxes of 50
Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question me neither!!

I NEVER have understood taking boxed ammo and dumping it loose in a container!! I like the neatness of the boxed ammo, PLUS I date each and EVERY BOX with the date I bought it. this way I can rotate the ammo and shoot oldest first. bulk ammo , ok, I date the box also. then I know how old it is when I load my two spee d loaders, one for butt fed and one for tube magazines. I have them labeled so not to use the wrong one in the wrong gun. these loaders are the best money I have spent on gun accessories. I only have a couple of rifles with box mags, most of my MANY .22 rifles are tube fed.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:41 PM
leenie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered 100 boxes of federal ultra match from sportsman guide expecting it to be in a case box. it arrived in a good sized box with a smaller box inside. I opened it didn't see a case box but ten bricks with the end of the boxes cut off. after stuffing the 50 round boxes back in the 5 sided brick boxes I called sg and asked why it wasn't shipped in the case box. she said you ordered 100 boxes. so I asked why they cut the end off the bricks I said after they cut the first brick they should know there would be 10 in each brick. she said you ordered 100 boxes. I said it would be less work to ship it in a case box. she said we sell more than just ammo. I looked at the site and didn't see a place to order a case. so I stacked the 5 sided bricks with the open side to the back of the safe. good shooting to all. dave
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 PM
katman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A .50cal ammo can will also hold 12 boxes of Federal Auto-Match.