Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

May 2017 100-Yard Benchrest Challenge

22K views 414 replies 35 participants last post by  chilly807 
#1 · (Edited)

May 2017 100-Yard Benchrest Challenge​

Guidelines:

Notice: These guidelines are for May's 2017 100-Yard .17/.22 Rimfire Benchrest Challenge. Hopefully it is pretty self-explanatory, but if you have any questions, please PM me for clarification or post your question in the thread.

The classes will be divided into three (3) groups. Factory Sporter, Modified and Honorary. Only CZ or BRNO rifles are allowed in the Factory Sporter and Modified classes. Any rifle capable of chambering a .17 or .22 caliber rimfire round is permitted in the Honorary class.

Factory Sporter: Rifles can include trigger modifications (including aftermarket trigger replacement,) bolt work, striker mods, etc., but it must use a factory CZ barrel. No tuners are allowed, even with factory barrels. Stocks must be factory OEM. No limitations will be included on optics. Use whichever power scope you wish.

Modified: Will include any rifle which hosts a 3rd party barrel, (Lilja, Benchmark, Shilen, etc.) Again, no limitation on optics.

Honorary: Though he is not a CZ shooter, this class was begun due to the inspiration of Smoothtrigger and his desire to participate in our Challenges. This class will include any non-CZ/BRNO rifle of .17 or .22 rimfire caliber and will also include any action capable of chambering either round. Again, no limitation on optics.

Posted Targets: During the Spring, Summer and Fall months, consider this to be from March through November, inclusive, all submitted targets must be shot outdoors at 100 yards. During Winter months, consider this to be from December through February, inclusive, participants have the option to shoot indoors, but will be shooting under a Class entitled "Indoor." The "Indoor" class will be open to any make and/or model of .17 or .22 caliber rimfire. There will be no restriction on optics and the choice of ammunition will be left to the shooter's discretion.

This month, the target is provided as a collaboration between Jaia and Rick Baum and is quite similar to the first target we used for the Challenge some months ago.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING: YES, IT'S IMPORTANT!

This month will be quite a departure from how we normally score/measure targets. Bill40718, one of the TargetMeisters from the Ultimates thread on the 1022 Forum has volunteered to measure our targets for us. DO NOT MEASURE YOUR OWN TARGET. In order to keep all measurements consistent, e-mail your target to Bill who will measure targets using OnTarget software and will return your target to you for you to post. Prior to e-mailing your target to Bill, make sure you write the caliber the target was shot with clearly on the page...ie., .17 or .22 caliber.

Target Guidelines: You will fire 5 shots per bullseye and attempt to obtain the smallest group possible on the target from 100 yards. There are 4 bullseyes per page for a total of 20 shots, with the average of the 4 groups used to determine your score. Again, because we are using an electronic form of measurements, the "sighters" you see in the middle of the page are unnecessary. Use them if you'd like to ensure your optics are sighted correctly, but they are not necessary to find the average bullet size.

When Bill returns your target, simply ensure the necessary information is present on the target prior to posting…ie., shooter's RFC name, rifle make/model, ammunition used, class, etc.

The following e-mail address will be used by participants to contact Bill: bp071840az@icloud.com

Per Bill's request, DO NOT plug any shots. Plugging expands the hole a bit and could result in an inaccurate measurement.

In addition, Bill has requested an actual, accurate measurement of something on the target just in case his printer or he doesn't print the target correctly. An example would be the length of the bottom horizontal line of the top left group box. In this manner, Bill can set the reference length accurately and everyone's target is measured by the exact same scale.

Lastly, Bill has asked that when forwarding your target, you send the target as an attachment...do not embed the target in the text of the message.

In the event of a tie, and I am confident we will not have one, the 1st group (upper left hand target) will be the 1st tie breaker. Should a tie continue, we'll go to the 2nd group (upper right hand target) and continue in like fashion until we reach the 4th group. Should a tie remain unbroken, you should enter the clergy and not waste your time shooting because you are truly blessed. We'll call it a tie.

The link to download the target is below. Please let me know if you have any trouble with the link.

The title of this month's target is May 4 x 5 Target. You may use either the black or red version.

This is the "Black" version.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...enchrest Challenge&txt=Link to May 4x5 Target

This is the "Red" version.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...nchrest Challenge&txt=Link to the May 4x5 Red

Remember, your best results scoring a target will come from using a heavier paper. Most like to use a 60+ pound paper available from virtually anywhere....Meijer's, Staples, Walmart, etc.

All targets, there are 4 per page, will require 5-shots per bullseye. Shoot as many pages as you would like and post your very best. Only your best page and lowest combined group average of the 4 targets will be posted.

When you print the target be sure to set it to print "Actual size" and 100 percent which should give you the correct target size.

The rifle can be supported front and rear; however no one-piece or vice-type rests are allowed. Bipods/rear bags, mechanical rests (front and/or rear) may also be used either from the bench or prone position….shooter's choice.

Calibers can include any 17 or 22 caliber rimfire in any class. There are no restrictions on bullet type. You may use match ammo, HV, HP or whatever it is with which you typically shoot.

Remember to include the necessary information when posting your target:

1. Shooter's RFC screen name.
2. Rifle description - Make/Model
3. Ammunition used
4. Date of target
5. Class - Sporter, Modified, Honorary

For those with any number of CZ's/BRNO's and other brands, feel free to shoot in any class at your discretion. Please post only your best target from each class.

The top 3 places from each class will receive the following:

1st Place Factory Sporter:

25.00 Gift Card From Home Depot

2nd Place Factory Sporter:

15.00 Gift Card From Home Depot

3rd Place Factory Sporter:

1 Box .22 CCI SV

1st Place Modified

2nd Place Modified:

3rd Place Modified:

1 Box .22 CCI SV

1st Place Honorary

2nd Place Honorary:

3rd Place Honorary:

1 Box .22 CCI SV

In the event a shooter feels a mistake has been made in reference to a competitor's score or the shooter's final position among participants, an RFC Moderator will make the final determination.

Please have all targets into the thread which reads "May 2017 100-Yard Benchrest Challenge," no later then the 5 days before the end of the month. This will allow all targets to be viewed and any protests to be answered. When your target is submitted, it MUST have all pertinent information included such as shooter's screen name, rifle type/model, ammunition used, etc.

Have fun!!!

Bob (dnttech)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Standings​

Modified

1. .519 - RickBaum - CZ 455/Lilja/22LR/Federal UM 22, Lot 354/Page 6, Post #77
2. .544 - Shrink - CZ 455/Lilja/22LR/RWS R50/Page 16, Post #228
3. .833 - CamBaum - CZ 455/Lilja/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 27, Post #400-B
4. 1.221 - Steelpier - CZ-2KE/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 23, Post #324
Factory Sporter

1. 636 - SavagePlinker - CZ 452 American/22LR/SK Standard Plus/Page 16, Post #245
2 .710 - rcmark - CZ 455 Factory Sporter/22LR/Lapua Center X/Page 23, Post #335
3. .747 - FFournier - CZ 452 Full Stock/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 14, Post #209
4. .751 - Bronco302 - CZ 452 American/22LR/Eley Match/Page 22, Post #319
5. .867 - NoNewTricks - CZ 452 Military Trainer/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 22, Post #326
6. 1.022 - R4B1DM4U53 - CZ 455 FS/17HMR/CCI 20gr. JSP/Page 13, Post #189
7. 1.033 - Oldskeeter - CZ 455 Trainer/22LR/SK Rifle Match/Page 20, Post #296
8. 1.059 - Loke - CZ 452 American/22LR/Norma Tac 22/Page 6, Post #88-B
Honorary

1. .315 - Les1911 - GM25/CST 1022/22LR/Lapua Midas +/Page 18, Post #265
2. .574 - Bronco302 - Anschutz 1827-F/22LR/Lapua Polar Biathlon/Page 10, Post #140
3. .580 - Smoothtrigger - Anschutz 1717/Lilja/17HMR/Federal TNT/Page 2, Post #29
4. .712 - 1Corinthians2 - Remington 541S/22LR/SK Rifle Match/Page 14, Post #202
5. .800 - Soupcan - Kimber 82G/22LR/Norma Match/Page 26, Post #389
6. .886 - JakeBaum - Anschutz/Benchmark/22LR/Federal Ultra Match/Page 27, Post #400-A
7. 1.002 - JerryP - Anschutz 54.30/22LR/RWS R50/Page 16, Post #241
8. 1.081 - Loke - Ruger 77/17/17HMR/Federal Utra Shok/Page 6, Post #88-A
9. 1.399 - bdriscole - Anschutz 1416/22LR/S&K Match (?)/Page 24, Post #360

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Guys, the most important thing about this month is DO NOT MEASURE YOUR OWN TARGET! This will invalidate your entry. The e-mail address to whom you send your target is embedded within the Guidelines.

Prior to sending your target to Bill40718, please ensure you specify the caliber with which your target was shot....17, .22, 88mm...ya know, the important stuff...

The last day to post targets for this month's Challenge is May 26th. No targets can be submitted after that date.

Thank God, an easy one to score this month!!!

Game on....

#22 ·
Greetings,

I have not shot one of these matches before, since I own no qualified rifles.
I have noticed the "honorary" class, and I can come up with something there.
If I understand correctly, I can shoot several rifles, then submit the best target?

Thank you! :bthumb:

#3 · (Edited)
DO NOT SCORE YOUR OWN TARGET!

OnTarget software right?

I've got that installed on a computer.
Downloaded the original v1.10 setup package when it was freeware.
Recently it was removed from distribution.
Bet it was interfering with sales of the latest version. :rolleyes:

I'll score my own targets with it.
As the ammo I have is so inconsistent
it's unlikely I'll shoot anything worthwhile.:(

No use wasting Bill's time.

#5 · (Edited)
You know they want to play Rabid.
You know there were plenty of targets shot, but not entered.
What good is it to post a target that wasn't worth the effort.

More than likely they've been purchasing their ammo from the same suppliers I have. :(

Good thing I have the "holy terror" to cheat with, right chilly?

#6 ·
Julie will have her new stock back from DJ in a couple of days. She's looking forward to shooting this month's target.

That'll be another entry into Modified, Rabid....It's a shame she doesn't like the KIDD or I'd have her in Honorary, also.

#7 ·
I can always have my boys shoot the CZ.. Unfortunately we didn't get out last month.. Turns out, they hate shooting in a tube more than I do.. Lol. If spring will ever dry out so we can get out to the desert here, they will be posting some targets in modified.

#9 · (Edited)
jala

In the October match, which was the same contest/target type (5 shots for average on 4 bulls), you had the second best score of all of the shooters...placing second by a mere 1/000 of an inch.

DJdilliodon - .493 CZ455/Benchmark/.22LR
2. Jaia - .494 CZ455/Lilja/17HMR

Why would you want to disqualify yourself from this months contest by scoring your own target?

I realize that you've had a bad run of ammo recently, but come on, there's still hope.:)

Smooth

#10 ·
I remember shooting that target. That setup didn't use the custom chamber but the lilja match with old style cone breech. I'd love to try it from a rest with a gun using the new chamber. I'm going to the range tomorrow and have a pro varmint build to test. Can I use any target that has 4 bulls like the October match target?

#13 · (Edited)
Ummmmmmmmmmm, DJ? Why don't ya just print a couple of targets out BEFORE ya go to the range? Problem solved!!!! You're sure it's open today, right?

Did Duck write that question????

Yeah, go ahead and use a different target if you need to...lol

Bob

Little Rascal, huh??? Remember, I've still got a good memory..

Jaia??? What Smooth said!!:confused:

#15 ·
Bill's gonna wish he'd never offered to score targets once we get going. I'm probably going to shoot at least a couple entries to give us something to look at early on in the month. The wind can't blow every weekend, right?

I'm heading to the range today, although it's pretty windy. I'll still shoot the 25 yd scoped match, wind isn't as much a problem at 25.

The Wild Thing remains in the experimental stage, it won' t get used at 100 til 50 looks promising. Too many variables at 100 to tell if I'm making progress.

#16 ·
Chilly???? Where ya been hiding??? I wasn't really gonna torture ya, I have guys at work I do that to.....daily, just by showing up!!!

#18 ·
Didn't make it to the 100 yard line today but I will say that Fred is gonna give you guys a bit of trouble in the modified class! The other build I tested today did good with one lot of R50 I had but wasn't exactly to my standards. I'll bring it out next weekend for lot testing with eley match.

This post has been deleted
#19 · (Edited)
Not to worry Bob, I've been lurking around in the bushes as usual.
I got a chance to shoot the May target today as a dry run. I was confident enough that it would be too windy that I left the Center-X home deliberately. No temptation, right?
Although still breezy, it wasn't too bad. I shot the 25 yd scoped match first, then decided to have a go at the 100 with some Standard Plus.
First two groups were about 1.2", which is what I expect from the Varmint given the conditions, then the third group was hanging at .630" until a hot round turned it into a 1.5" disaster. Last group was .900, which I'd be happy with.
I'll save it in case nothing better comes along, it's not even quite May yet!

Rick, the Oracle seems to be off his game, I'll blame it on the start of flea season. Every time he seems about to make a choice, he stops for a scratch and ends up wandering away. Then there's the issue with only getting 23 hours of sleep every day. I'm reluctant to ask about the Wild Thing, he might tell me I'm wasting my time.

#24 · (Edited)
Lmao.. For some reason, that picture makes me crave lasagna.. Has the Oracle ever heard of Garfield? Did they base the character on the Oracle, or did the Oracle find a role model in Garfield?.. Lol ;) I may just consider coming back as Chilly's cat if given the chance.. Looks like a pretty laid back (Chill) life.:D

Edit to add... Cancel that I you neuter your pets:D

#28 ·
Yep, it's a cat's life most days around here. He's getting to be an old fella, something I can relate to.

Bad news, Rick.. that's all I can say!

Instr8, to answer your original post, I think .500"-.600" will be in the hunt for first place in honorary class, but I could be wrong about that. Of course it depends on who plays the game and what they bring to the table. Modified class, I'd expect to see about the same.
Factory sporter, .900"-1.000" should do well.

So, having stepped out on the proverbial limb, I'd love to have it sawed off from under me.. let's see some targets!

What the heck, I'll give ya something to look at. Not an official entry (I really hope the factory sporter crew can do better, myself included). 452 Varmint and Standard Plus, the only target shot, not counting 5 warm-up shots.

#32 · (Edited)
Hey Chilly..

Not too bad of a target really.. If all 4 were like the two groups on the right half you'd be in the hunt for sure. Gotta love this ammo we play with, eh?

Sounds like maybe the Oracle might be messing with you since you had the vet mess with him? Lol. If I were you, I'd try this... Ask him to pick your ammo and then take whichever box he picks last.. If he's bitter about "the procedure", he'll be trying to lead you astray. Just don't let him see you put THAT box in your pocket.. Cats are smart.. If he sees you take the last(good) box he'll start picking the good box in the middle of his picks just to mess with you. Lol ;)

#29 · (Edited)
We'll I'll start it off.

Shot just one target with my 1717 in a bit of headwind, which annoyingly causes swirling eddies with our baffles.

Came out better than expected, but I'll need to improve on it to be completive.
Octobers best groups were under a 1/2 an inch!

Three more to go with the 1717, and my 1727F-22 in it's new stock will be here on Wednesday.

4 Group Avg =.580 inches

Smoothtrigger.
Honorary Class
Anschutz 1717 Lilja.
Harrell's Tuner.
NF15-55X Competition set at 40X.
Sinclair F-Class Bi-pod. Protektor rear bag
Fed TNT .17 hmr
4-29-17

Double hits on bull #1 and #4.

Thanks Bill.
https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=254720&part=2

#36 ·
We'll I'll start it off.

Shot just one target with my 1717 in a bit of headwind, which annoyingly causes swirling eddies with our baffles.

Came out better than expected, but I'll need to improve on it to be completive.
Octobers best groups were under a 1/2 an inch!

Three more to go with the 1717, and my 1727F-22 in it's new stock will be here on Wednesday.

4 Group Avg =.580 inches

Smoothtrigger.
Honorary Class
Anschutz 1717 Lilja.
NF15-55X Competition set at 40X.
Sinclair F-Class Bi-pod. Protektor rear bag
Fed TNT .17 hmr
4-29-17

Double hits on bull #1 and #4.

Thanks Bill.
https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=254720&part=2
Nice target Smooth! Only one small problem.. It's a DQ because it's missing a couple of bullet holes! :D;)

Totally kidding of course! Not even a tiny bit serious.. Except for the "nice target" part. I'm 100% serious about that.:)

#31 · (Edited)
Scanned it, and sent it as a jpg.

What I can't figure out is how to post it as an image, instead of a link.
Hence, that's why I have the two posts of my target.

So Bill and I, only differed by 5 thousands. And actually it wasn't even that much different.
When I use calipers, I always round up to the nearest 100th, just to be be sure I don't under report it.

Having Bill do it for us takes all of that messing around out of it, and provides us with a uniformly measured and accurate number. I like it!

Smooth

#34 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ​

Guys, I received an e-mail from Bill earlier today and he asks...no, he Strongly Desires, that anyone sending him a target to measure have ALL of the information in the header filled in....LEGIBLY!!! That's the good part...the bad part is the fact if you don't do as he asks, you'll get your target back not measured. Please don't tick Bill off...like most "older" people he's grumpy!!!

Jaia? That means no crayons, My Little Pony glitter or anything that will keep Bill from being able to read what you've written...

Don't worry, I got chewed out yesterday by Bill for sending a target where I held the camera too close....My bad, Bill!!!!!:D

Okay, second thing....I received a message from a shooter asking if he could use his Exemplar in Honorary. Personally, I think it's great and I'm all for it, but I'd like an opinion first from those in Honorary. If a man/woman thinks he or she can hold their own against the rifles, do it....and you have all my best. But, I want to hear from those who typically shoot in that class before I give him the okay.

Third thing....Steelpier, that question will start a long-winded argument. lol Just be warned.

Fourth thing.....I'm holding off a few more days before I send out this month's prizes in case the cups (which I've been told have shipped) arrive. Sorry about the delay. If it takes any longer then next Monday, I'll send the usual prizes for the month. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I have a couple of extra prizes for the winners of each class this month, so make sure you check the box when it arrives...closely!

#35 ·
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ​

Guys, I received an e-mail from Bill earlier today and he asks...no, he Strongly Desires, that anyone sending him a target to measure have ALL of the information in the header filled in....LEGIBLY!!! That's the good part...the bad part is the fact if you don't do as he asks, you'll get your target back not measured. Please don't tick Bill off...like most "older" people he's grumpy!!!

Jaia? That means no crayons, My Little Pony glitter or anything that will keep Bill from being able to read what you've written...

Don't worry, I got chewed out yesterday by Bill for sending a target where I held the camera too close....My bad, Bill!!!!!:D

Okay, second thing....I received a message from a shooter asking if he could use his Exemplar in Honorary. Personally, I think it's great and I'm all for it, but I'd like an opinion first from those in Honorary. If a man/woman thinks he or she can hold their own against the rifles, do it....and you have all my best. But, I want to hear from those who typically shoot in that class before I give him the okay.

Third thing....Steelpier, that question will start a long-winded argument. lol Just be warned.
Come one, come all.. If'n it shoots rimfire cartridges, then by all means shoot it! In case you can't tell Bob, I'm happy to have another contender. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.