Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:18 PM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Appleseed build post event report.

I made a post last month and got lots of feedback on my Appleseed 10/22 build. I attended the Appleseed event at the CMP Marksmanship park at Talladega last weekend and after two days of live fire I can give feedback on my build. Lots of good in the build. There was also some bad. My father used his 10/22 takedown and I can give some contrast to his build which was slightly different.

First off the CMP is an amazing facility and if you ever have a chance to go I urge you to go. I'll share a couple of range eye candy pictures but this is a 10/22 subforum so I'll skip most of the CMP gushing and go straight to the nuts and bolts of my 10/22 Liberty training rifle build.

[/url]

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My build and feedback
-Hardwood stock 10/22
For the most part the stock hardwood stock worked great. Easy to install sling swivels. Shoulders fine but the comb was too low for tech sights. Only problem I had with the stock was the slick plastic butt pad. In prone when I relaxed my head against the comb the slick pad would sometimes slip on my nylon fishing style shirts I was wearing. Not sure how to correct that problem which will be my next modification to the rifle.

-Volquartsen Target Hammer
A little more creep then I would prefer but still a big upgrade over the stock hammer. I used all of the stock Ruger springs. If I had it to do over again I would send it off to brimestone but I wasn't sure if I could get it back in time and didn't want to chance it.

-Volquartsen Exact edge Extractor
In pre Appleseed testing I would get a failure to eject once ever 2-3 magazines. Not an extremly high failure rate but if I was running an AQT a failure at the wrong time could screw up the whole AQT. Bought the Volquartsen extractor and didn't have any more problems. Again I reused all of the stock springs. My dad who's 10/22 had the stock extractor would get 1-2 failures per AQT so he never really had a chance to score Rifleman.

-Tech Sights TSR100
Worked awesome. Highly reccomended. Great product. My dad bought TSR200's and ran out of elevation adjustment on the front post of his 10/22 at 25 yards. I also had the advantage of just flipping the rear sight for a ~5-6 MOA adjustment to put me on at 100 yards without any other adjustment. For an appleseed I would say the TSR100 would be preferable. Save the $10. If you do go with the TSR200s get a higher front sight post.

-Crossfire Extended mag release
For specifically the Appleseed I would sat this mod is not needed. I probably wouldn't do it if I had to do it over again. In fact I might stick the stock mag release back in. The extended mag release makes locking the bolt back a little more difficult. Not sure it really saves much time with the mag release. With the stock mag release it's easy to thumb the release and catch your mag so it doesn't tumble over the shooting line. You are taking your hand off the rifle to pick up your other mag anyways so it saves you maybe 1/2 to 1 second at most in a mag change. Just not worth it.

-Auto bolt release mod
Yes. Do this mod like I did or buy one. Why doesn't Ruger send the rifle out with this from the factory? Makes life much easier. But, on the negative side every so often when pulling my chamber flag I would release the bolt and it would trap the flag in the chamber. Just have to pay more attention when pulling the flag.

-Scotchbright inside of the receiver
it was free. Can't say it did anything but it took maybe 3 minutes.

-1/4-20 Nylon bolt DIY bolt buffer
Changes the "tone" of the bolt hitting the buffer. From a metallic clink in my rifle to more of a thump. Cost me $0.55 and 10 minutes of my time. Something to do on a rainy Sunday when you are bored and can't go shoot. Wouldn't go out of my way to do this one.

-Uncle Mike 1" QD sling swivels w/ 1" GI cotton sling form Tech Sights
I should have listened to you guys and went with the 1-1/4" sling. After 1 hour range test sessions I thought the 1" sling was more than sufficient. But after 8 hours of loop slinging my arm was sore where the sling was biting into my arm. After 3-4 hours it still was fine. But 8 hours you are going to want as comfortable a loop sling as possible. I was lazy and just bought sling swivels that were available locally. Take the time to get the 1-1/4" swivels and sling. Your arm will thank you. It's Tuesday after my Appleseed and my arm where the loop sling was all weekend is the only sore spot on me.

-Voodoo Tactical cheek rest pad
I'm glad someone suggested raising my comb. Loved the Voodoo Tactical cheek pad. I was looking for something simple (no extra ammo mag holders, pockets, etc). Something comfortable. Something not permanent in case I didn't like it. The Voodoo really fit the bill. $14 on Amazon. I highly recommend it for your Appleseed liberty rifle build. After trying my rifle Dad commented how much more comfortable my rifle was because of the Pad and got on to me for not telling him to buy one.

Now how did the rifle perform?

It's the Indian not the Arrow right. It's a bad musician who blames his instrument. What other quotes can I throw in here?

My groups got better after the first day. On the initial redcoat target I was able to get 3 in the 400 yard target and hit Morgan's shingle. But I pulled a shot out of each of the 200 and 300 yard targets. As I learned to get my natural point of aim I was able to keep my groups inside 1". But poor technique lining my sights and focusing on the front side lead to misses and the occasional pulled shot kept me from shooting rifleman. Normally when shooting at a target I would put all the shots in the group close to each other but I could shoot the group an inch to the left or an inch to the right. I just had a hard time seeing the target and getting the front sight post lined up correctly.

I had to leave early on Saturday so I didn't get a Saturday AQT. I ran a total of 3 AQT's. One I messed up shooting at the wrong target on stage 4 and screwed up my dad's target One I shot 6-4 on the two sitting/kneeling targets which turned a 201 into a 192. The one clean AQT I ran I scored 49-48-40-66 for a 203 total. I was fantastic in the shooting and sitting positions through all 3 AQT's. Never scored below 48 standing and 46 in stage 2 sitting. Prone is a new position for me though I've only shot prone a handful of times and it's not something I practice with regularity. Consistency with my issue in prone. Bad head position sometime would throw my group to the left and high. and I would pull shots in prone which I wouldn't do from standing or sitting positions. Every prone stage I would pull one or two shots out of the scoring area which in the end cost me a rifleman patch. Learned a ton. Now I know what to practice so I can go back out and try to earn my Rifleman patch.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking ltr,, Appleseed is a great program. I have attended 2 and have plans to go this year also . I have 3 liberty training rifles and find that they all shoot different types of ammo good , did you try different ammo for groups? I encourage you to try again, what a great feeling it is to get that patch :-)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 PM
klug4u

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a really great facility. I live about 30 min north of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
For the slippery plastic butt plate I have used two different fixes. I have used one of the extended pads that is kind of rubbery. The other fix I used was some kind of textured paint on the plastic butt plate. The butt plate was a little dinged up, so I scuffed it up with coarse sandpaper and painted it with the textured paint. Don't remember exactly what it was, but think it was a Krylon product and it worked well.
I'll try to look it up when I'm home and post what it was later.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:00 PM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Good looking ltr,, Appleseed is a great program. I have attended 2 and have plans to go this year also . I have 3 liberty training rifles and find that they all shoot different types of ammo good , did you try different ammo for groups? I encourage you to try again, what a great feeling it is to get that patch :-)
I havent experimented too much with Ammo yet. I spent the 3 weeks I had before the event just getting the rifle set up, breaking it in, and sighted in and adjusted to my preference. I used a brick of some Browning ammo to break it in and shot mainly with Federal Automatch because that's what I had with sufficient quantity to make it through the course. I mainly have Colbri, shorts, lots of 22 Quiet, and standard velocity in my stash as that's what I like to shoot through my pistols and my son's Cricket. I went with the Automatch because it seems to be cleaner than the M22 which was my only other option with sufficient quantity (besides 22 Quiet which won't cycle the action properly) to make it through the course.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
For the slippery plastic butt plate I have used two different fixes. I have used one of the extended pads that is kind of rubbery. The other fix I used was some kind of textured paint on the plastic butt plate. The butt plate was a little dinged up, so I scuffed it up with coarse sandpaper and painted it with the textured paint. Don't remember exactly what it was, but think it was a Krylon product and it worked well.
I'll try to look it up when I'm home and post what it was later.
You know that's an excellent idea. I have a half a can of truck bed liner somewhere in the garage that might just fix that right up! Wonder if it will stick to the plastic?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
You know that's an excellent idea. I have a half a can of truck bed liner somewhere in the garage that might just fix that right up! Wonder if it will stick to the plastic?
It might. The stuff I used I think said worked on plastic. I scuffed with sand paper so it would have some tooth. I masked the sides and back just to keep them clean. It went on kind of thick and I have had no peeling. Just got to look it up later and remember to post.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:23 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had good luck with the ammo ,, I shoot steel challenge so my go to ammo is cci mini mag it always cycles the bolt with authority! One of My ltr shoots the 36 grain mini mag very well , I also found the aguila 40 grain superextra copper coated shot very consistently, I don't have anymore of that . Another very nice ammo is Norma tac 22 expensive for me but it very accurate.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Blackwolfe

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The product I used was Rustoleum brand, multicolor textured paint, aged iron color, product No. 223525. Labeled indoor/outdoor, works on metal wood, and more. Doesn't specifically mention plastic. Like I mentioned earlier I scuffed the plastic carbine butt plate with coarse sand paper first and have had no issues with peeling. I don't think I primed it first with a plastic compatible primer, but may have.

As someone was concerned with it being a permanent feature on MY rifle, it isn't. I can always change butt plates on my 10-22 carbine stock. It's a beat up take off stock anyway to which I have added sling swivels. May not have the coefficient of friction that tread grip on tread grip has, but it works with out being too sticky and looks good. I limit the permanent alterations to rattle can camo paint jobs on the Springfield M1A1 and the Browning 1885 Traditional Hunter.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Great post, very helpful, thank you. My son and I are doing our first on in May. A couple of questions.

What barrel are you using? Any comments on barrel selection?

What made you and your dad go with tech sights rather than scopes? Did you notice any trends at the event in that regard? Comments on the choice? My son has great eyesight (shoots NRA Rimfire competitions using an Annie with aperture sights), but my old man vision ain't so great. Is target acquisition the main reason?

Were autoloaders the gun of choice? I have six 10/22's, and would build out two for the event, but truthfully prefer bolt guns. Or even lever. The FTF issues drive me nuts.

Thanks again, and nice shooting.

N
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM
DeoreDX
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomack View Post
Great post, very helpful, thank you. My son and I are doing our first on in May. A couple of questions.

What barrel are you using? Any comments on barrel selection?
I started with a plain Jane $209 hardwood 10/22 from Academy. So it has the 18.5" tapered barrel. I wasn't building a match 1/4 MOA target rifle just wanted a trainer so I figured the stock barrel is good enough.

Quote:
What made you and your dad go with tech sights rather than scopes? Did you notice any trends at the event in that regard? Comments on the choice? My son has great eyesight (shoots NRA Rimfire competitions using an Annie with aperture sights), but my old man vision ain't so great. Is target acquisition the main reason?
Now when I say dad I'm 41 and my dad is 67 so we both aren't blessed with young eye sight. I wanted to go with irons because I thought I would learn more using irons. For me it adds more steps and makes me concentrate more as there are a couple of extra things I have to pay attention to (front post focus and sight alignment). I think we had 4-5 riflemen out of the 25+ people that were there and I know at least 4 of them were using a scope. Not sure about the other one. After the Appleseed I've been looking at my center fire rifles experimenting to see which one I want to set up for a known distance event. I can say that every one of my scoped rifles the scope is set way too far back for comfortable prone shooting using a loop sling. All mine were set up for bipod prone or bench shooting. Those I positions require the scope to be much farther back than unsupported prone with a sling or from a sitting position. I think finding a good scope position for standing sitting and prone positions might be challenging. I'm going to use an AR with the scope set up for prone shooting with a loop sling so I can use a shorter length of pull in the standing to get the correct eye relief. .

Quote:
Were autoloaders the gun of choice? I have six 10/22's, and would build out two for the event, but truthfully prefer bolt guns. Or even lever. The FTF issues drive me nuts.

Thanks again, and nice shooting.

N
Autoloaders were the rifle of choice. Only person with a bolt gun there shot rifleman though. The disadvantage will be possibly losing your natural point of aim between shots and getting all 10 shots off in the rapid standing to sitting stage where you get 55 seconds to go from standing to sitting and get 10 clean shots off with a magazine change in the middle and the rapid prone where you have 65 seconds to get 10 shots off with a magazine change. That will be something you can practice before hand to see if getting all the shots off would be a problem. I don't think it would be personally at least for me.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM
jimp42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the idea of plastidip type paint. I have used skateboard tape on a couple of LTRs and a standard AR stock and it doesn't ever move on your shoulder.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Thanks, DeoreDX. Very helpful info.

About the scopes and prone, what did you observe with others using scopes? I've heard that most people at Appleseed use scopes. Honestly, I haven't spent much time in prone (I hate it, actually, being old and sporting a good beer belly). My son shoots prone very well, using peeps. But I'm half blind.

I'm toying with the idea of using my Browning SA-22 with a Leupold 2.5x20 Ultralight - long eye relief, but not sure if the magnification will be enough. The Browning is so light and elegant, though. This scope:

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...ight-2-5x20mm/

I don't suppose you saw any SA-22's at your event, eh?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Bullpup-one

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
DeoreDX,

You mentioned that your father used a TD. Did he have any accuracy issues from bowing when using the sling?

BP-1
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
im going to admit here - some ignorance , last year some coworkers took in talladega , however it was not the shooting - it was the driving . party time, girls in skimpy cloths drinking massive quantities of adult beverages , i did not know we had this option ,