Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Kid Dynomite

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Introducing the Ruger RAK

Ruger RAK- stands for Ruger American Kidd, yep that's right I've had my RAR re-barreled with a Kidd Light weight barrel. For anyone wanting an aftermarket barrel for their RAR it can be done and with a 10-22 barrel of your choice as long as it is solid steel on the chamber end for at least 2.50 inches long. Keep in mind that the barrel shank has to be cut off and the new shank machined in and re-chambered (your choice on chamber size.) I had this one done with a match chamber and I will say its tighter than the original Kidd chamber. The gunsmith that did the work for me called and stated that he had to order a special reamer to do the Kidd barrel due to the bore being extremely tight. I chambered two rounds and ejected them, then a visual inspection showed to have a full positive engagement of the driving band all the way round the bullet. A good gunsmith of your choice should be able to do the job for you. I want to THANK a couple of members here that helped me when I started this venture AMBLERRL and RICHJ. If anyone needs any info such as what gunsmith I used etc please PM me and I will get back with you ASAP. Now the wait begins on getting it to the range.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 AM
RichJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
Ruger RAK- stands for Ruger American Kidd, yep that's right I've had my RAR re-barreled with a Kidd Light weight barrel. For anyone wanting an aftermarket barrel for their RAR it can be done and with a 10-22 barrel of your choice as long as it is solid steel on the chamber end for at least 2.50 inches long. Keep in mind that the barrel shank has to be cut off and the new shank machined in and re-chambered (your choice on chamber size.) I had this one done with a match chamber and I will say its tighter than the original Kidd chamber. The gunsmith that did the work for me called and stated that he had to order a special reamer to do the Kidd barrel due to the bore being extremely tight. I chambered two rounds and ejected them, then a visual inspection showed to have a full positive engagement of the driving band all the way round the bullet. A good gunsmith of your choice should be able to do the job for you. I want to THANK a couple of members here that helped me when I started this venture AMBLERRL and RICHJ. If anyone needs any info such as what gunsmith I used etc please PM me and I will get back with you ASAP. Now the wait begins on getting it to the range.

Looks good, though my old eyes need bigger pics.
need to post some targets.

Rich
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM
amblerrl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
RAK

I know you will be pleasantly surprised with how well it shoots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

Very exciting. Please post better photos when you can. Go outside.

Is there a reason the gunsmith's name needs to be kept secret?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Kid Dynomite

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I will try with the pictures and no on the gunsmith name just didn't want to break any rules by posting it here as it could be construed as advertising for him. Thanks kid...
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I will try with the pictures and no on the gunsmith name just didn't want to break any rules by posting it here as it could be construed as advertising for him. Thanks kid...
It's not advertising. It's giving credit where credit is due.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Victoriouslv
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
is there any follow up on this? Would love to hear how this shot or who is doing this modification.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM
thei3ug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. The only reason I would buy a RAR would be for the receiver, as I am one of the dumbest people alive who is wiling to spent disproportionate amounts of money in order to keep from having to buy into another set of magazines.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 PM
Kid Dynomite

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Here you go:

Central Michigan Gunsmith
2160 E. Remus Rd.
Mt. Pleasant,MI.
989-775-7040
Kip

He does excellent work and is really close on his time frame on when it will be done. He just don't like to be called and asked how much longer is it going to take. his work is worth the wait. Kid.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Kid Dynomite

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Almost forgot the gun will shoot small one hole groups at 50 yards easily. I want to wait for cooler weather and a better bench and rest to really ring it out. Kid...
Old 06-18-2017, 01:03 AM
RichJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Here you go:

Central Michigan Gunsmith
2160 E. Remus Rd.
Mt. Pleasant,MI.
989-775-7040
Kip

He does excellent work and is really close on his time frame on when it will be done. He just don't like to be called and asked how much longer is it going to take. his work is worth the wait. Kid.
I'll second that ;-)

Rich
Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Nice build. I thought about doing that with a Ruger 77/22.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Quackhead77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice, I used a green mountain blank for mine
Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I'm wondering if a 77/22barrel would be a better candidate due to longer shank as to be able to keep the chamber or is the diameter an issue?

Last edited by nodak; 08-02-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 PM
coltlover
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Love the rifle! Can you explain to me in a little more detail the process involved in this conversion? After the original barrel is cut, is the receiver threaded or is that a barrel nut I see? I may give your guy a call, but I know a couple of talented gunsmiths within 100 miles of me. I would like to be able to speak a little more intelligently when I approach them about the project.