Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:54 PM
TWS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer

I am new to this sight and I need some help setting up this gun. I want to do some precision training while teaching my grandson to shoot, not for competition. First thing I am going to do is trigger work, thinking Yodave. Next is the scope, trying to decide between fixed or variable, Willing to spend around $600.00. Then what about the rails, should I stay with factory or go with something else?(Looking at Picatinny from DIP). What rings should I go with? (Been looking at the Vortex Precision, but I don't know if this is overkill). Then I was looking at the Harris HBRS Bipod. I just ordered the gun and it should be in by the end of the week.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Huey Chief
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cz455

I bought that same rifle a year ago. I have since then bought 2 more barrels(22mag, 22LR, and now .17) great rifle. It is more fun with a scope, just my opinion.
Actually grandson was not too interested until I put a cheap scope on it, then he put down his laptop and started shooting.

Last edited by Huey Chief; 12-10-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWS View Post
I am new to this sight and I need some help setting up this gun. I want to do some precision training while teaching my grandson to shoot, not for competition. First thing I am going to do is trigger work, thinking Yodave. Next is the scope, trying to decide between fixed or variable, Willing to spend around $600.00. Then what about the rails, should I stay with factory or go with something else?(Looking at Picatinny from DIP). What rings should I go with? (Been looking at the Vortex Precision, but I don't know if this is overkill). Then I was looking at the Harris HBRS Bipod. I just ordered the gun and it should be in by the end of the week.
IMHO, you cannot do better than a set of the adapters from J&P (sponsors) (11mm to Weaver) and then a set of Burris Signature See rings in the flavor (1" or 30mm) to match your scope selection. For a scope, my recommendation would be for a Leupold VX2 in either 4-12X or 6-18X. Have fun! Nothing more rewarding than shooting practice with a grandson.

Last edited by OldSwede; 12-10-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2017, 06:12 PM
EddieE

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
J&P adapters worked well for me, till things got lose and I wasted time trying to figure out why my gun didn't shoot straight. In frustration, I got rid of them. I probably could have just torqued them down and kept an eye on them. I bought the signature z rings for my CZ. They are good...BUT, I find that it is very difficult to fine tune the scope level with these rings. Even with the screw slightly turned, it is difficult to turn the tube. After this experience, I went with Seekins for my other gun....what a difference. There is a reason they are $120.

I will never buy the signature z again unless I specifically need to adjust the cant of the scope.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:39 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
I don't doubt for a second that you have had those difficulties, Eddie. That said, I have to say in rebuttal that I have owned and used at least a dozen pairs of the J&P adapters - and at least forty sets of Burris Signature Zee rings - with ZERO problems.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:48 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
IMHO, you cannot do better than a set of the adapters from J&P (sponsors) (11mm to Weaver) and then a set of Burris Signature See rings in the flavor (1" or 30mm) to match your scope selection. For a scope, my recommendation would be for a Leupold VX2 in either 4-12X or 6-18X. Have fun! Nothing more rewarding than shooting practice with a grandson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
I don't doubt for a second that you have had those difficulties, Eddie. That said, I have to say in rebuttal that I have owned and used at least a dozen pairs of the J&P adapters - and at least forty sets of Burris Signature Zee rings - with ZERO problems.
Yes Sir and yes Sir....
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 AM
gstaylorg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 455 VPT. With the YoDave kit, I would simply test the different weight compression springs as your first step. I ended up using the the lightest of the 4 that came with the kit. The pull now comes in at just a hair under 1 lb 5 oz, and solidly passes the bump test. The shims were not necessary in my rifle, I'm very happy with the feel of the trigger without swapping out the shim now that the pull is well over a pound lighter than it was out of the box (~2 lb 12 oz). You can always test the shims after the springs if you find it necessary to do so.

I went with the DIP (0 MOA cant) Dovetail/Picatinny mount (CZ-19008). It is machined to fit pretty loosely over the factory dovetail, IMO, but works just fine after being leveled, Locktited, and tightened. However, I would go with the 25 MOA adapter if I had to do it over again. I initially went with a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50 scope. This was a fantastic scope, well within your price range, and I would highly recommend it if your magnification needs would be met by 20X at the top end. I later replaced that scope with a NF 12-42x56 BR scope, just to get more mag for shooting small targets at 100 yd. The NF BR scope only has 40 MOA (total) elevation turret adjustment travel. I can zero at 100 yd, but don't have a whole lot of upward elevation travel left over. About the only way I can participate with the 200 yd targets we've been shooting the last couple months (100 yd Monthly Benchrest Challenge) is to mark an aimpoint ~37" above the target center on the target board. I'm too lazy to swap it out now, but the 25 MOA rail would have solved that issue.

As far as rings, I'm now using NF Ultralite rings, primarily because of having the NF BR scope and that fact that I already had a pair of the right height that weren't being used. I originally mounted the Sightron S-Tac in an inexpensive pair of Warne steel rings (dovetail, #732M), which worked just fine and are just about the perfect height for a 50-56mm objective. Putting the Picatinny rail adapter from DIP on the existing dovetail will potentially allow you more ring choices (i.e. 30mm picatinny rail rings), really way too many to list here. NF, Badger, Burris, Seekins, and a host of other outfits make 30mm picatinny rings, ranging in price from fairly inexpensive to quite expensive.

Until/unless you decide to go with something much fancier (and much higher priced), your choice of Harris bipod should serve you very well.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 AM
TWS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks GSTAYLORG for your info. Are most guys running fixed or variable scopes on your guns. I am setting this one up for bench rest shooting.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I'd recommend a Weaver V-24, I think you'll life having 24x on the top end. But any high quality 20-24x scope (Sightron Big Sky, Vortex, Leupold, Weaver) will go nicely on that rifle.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:44 PM
gstaylorg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, I'd suggest something in the 16X to 20X range, maybe a bit higher (i.e. 24X would be fine). Unless you're target shooting and trying to print very small groups at 100 yd or farther, I'm not sure how beneficial magnification over 30X is really going to be for most people. The top end will depend in some part on how good your vision is. Remember, you can always turn the mag down, but you can't turn it up if it isn't there to begin with. Having an adjustable mag scope is probably your best bet. I tend not to change the mag very often (if at all) when target shooting at 100 yd, and a fixed scope can be very useful for that purpose. However, there are many other times it might be useful to dial down the mag, so I'd recommend a variable power scope for a general purpose rifle. I think you'd really miss/want it if you didn't have it. For a dedicated BR rifle, a fixed power scope at 32X (or greater) or a variable scope in the same upper range would work well. I personally do not like scopes with the parallax adjustment in the front by the objective lens (AO). In fact, I absolutely hate them, because my arms don't seem to be quite long enough to adjust the parallax while maintaining a good sight picture through the scope. However, lots of shooters here seem to like that style, so it's one more thing to think about when selecting your scope. After my experience with the NF 12-42 BR (front parallax adjustment) scope, I will only consider scopes with side (or rear) parallax adjustment in the future.

Last edited by gstaylorg; 12-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Weavers are good but I like SWFA SS 20x, 140 moa elev & windage, too bad you just missed the sale https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-20x42-tacti...lescope-3.html
Old 12-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agreed on Lot above.

30-36x is too much unless you're dedicated to bench type shooting.

A 6-24x is a handy setup for all around shooting with leanings toward precision paper killing.

I have .22s with old 3-9, 4x, etc. for woods hunting they do the job but are underpowered for 50 yard plus tiny groups shooting. Just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:54 PM
BillMelater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWS View Post
Thanks GSTAYLORG for your info. Are most guys running fixed or variable scopes on your guns. I am setting this one up for bench rest shooting.
Take a look at the Mueller 8-32 x 44 target scope. Good quality for less than $250.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:40 PM
DXT_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have DIP 25 MOA rail with Medium rings and Sightron 8-32x56 Scope and other than not being able to focus below 40 yards itís a nice set up. I might sell it and get a Sightron 10-50x60 so i can focus closer. I can hit matchsticks no problem at 40 Yards.

I also have a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 with CDS which I got the dial set for wolf ammo I might put it back on as itís a very nice clear scope.

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (933 kB)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 04:57 PM
TWS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all of the responses. That's a nice setup DXT Shooter. gstaylorg thanks for your input and right now i'm leaning towards the Sightron s-tac 4-20X50 scope, so what retical is most people using. My goal is punching paper at 100 yards, but I will be shooting with my grandson at 25 to 50 yards also. Do you guys think this scope will be good for this application.
Thanks for the replies any more info is welcomed