Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:51 PM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reticle Option For Long Range Shooting

Which reticle would you recommend for lobbing 22lr bullets at long range (200 yards plus) targets. The old standby mildot or one of the many different ballistic style. We had fun shooting at some clay pigeons that we tossed on the ground at unknown distances this past weekend. We only had standard duplex reticles so you just had to work your way down the thick post until you made contact.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:16 PM
FiveInADime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think any kind of subtensions beyond a regular duplex would suffice. Every company has a hold over reticle now.

For the accuracy of my modest .22 rifles I don't think I can do much better than a little Kentucky-holdover with a duplex reticle. We set milk jugs up at 200 full of water and red dye and have "first-hit challenges". Most of the time whomever shoots first wins because we've all done it a few times. I shot a group from a bench rest once and put 20 rounds into an 10" dirty-bird target with a little breeze-reading and some Wolf MT.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Weaver V-16 or V-24 with the Ballistic X reticle. I only shoot magnums that far.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM22673 View Post
Which reticle would you recommend for lobbing 22lr bullets at long range (200 yards plus) targets. The old standby mildot or one of the many different ballistic style. We had fun shooting at some clay pigeons that we tossed on the ground at unknown distances this past weekend. We only had standard duplex reticles so you just had to work your way down the thick post until you made contact.
I want high power and a thin, hash-marked reticle, either MoA or M-Rad. Scope MUST have great turrets and repeatability. You don't need the high power to shoot, you need it to see your holes on paper targets. You're lucky if you can keep your rounds in a 4" circle at 200 yards.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:32 PM
sscoyote
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my favorite LR plinking optics in order--

older 3-9X Rapid Reticle:

Horus Predator IPHY--

Primary Arms line mil R-Grid reticle (not crazy about the horseshoe part but I put up with it because I like the optic)--

...as an interesting side note here, if you're into the math behind reticle subtensions (as I am), look at the plywood on the 600-yd. berm on the 2nd picture. It "mils" at exactly 8 IPHY widthwise. If you "reverse mil" the subtension formula leaving target size as an unknown it calculates at exactly 48". Just happened to notice this, and it always fascinates me how close you can get using math for some shooting-related disciplines.

Last edited by sscoyote; 10-23-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the more time you spend shooting a 22 rimfire at long-range you'll find yourself using the term "lobbing" a lot less. We've found that dialing for precision hits out to and beyond 300 yards is no different than the guys shooting their 308s at our 1000 yard matches. Neither gun is the best for those yardages but a skilled shooter that is well practiced can make it look easy while others give up in despair and say it's pure luck.

These things are far more accurate than most give them credit for. Just a couple of years ago competitors were hoping to hit a couple of targets on some of my plate racks and now quite a few are cleaning them and nearly clearing my entire match.

Personally I don't like the BDC scopes nor the Christmas Tree reticles but know there are a lot of shooters that won't use anything else. It's what you get used to. I easily hold for wind when needed on my rimfire and my CF guns at the 1000 matches. It gets easy to break down wind holds into tenths using the 1/2 hash and mildot. The wind is constantly switching and changing so a quick slight adjustment is easy to make on the fly instead of dialing the wind. It'll change while you're dialing and you still won't have it right.

Using a rangefinder or knowing the target distance and precisely dialing for each distance is very precise using a scope such as the 16x or 20x fixed power SWFA scopes. Coyote has taken the use of Mildot and the Christmas Tree reticles to a level that works super for him. Long ago he helped me with some calculations for my pistol scope on an early 1000 yard gun for holdover and his calculations were spot on. I struggle with math and find dialing easier but he's correct about shooting long-range being a math game.

Try to use each way and find what you like and works best for you. I see you're in Ohio, you'd be more than welcome to visit my range and try out any of my long-range rimfire rifles or pistols using the dialing method. I'm near St. Clairsville.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 10-23-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:43 PM
sscoyote
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sam, you're in luck that you live so close to Top. Head straight to his place and see how it's done. It's money + time well spent to be so close to one of the best resources in the business sir. I'm a "calculating plinker" and Top takes it to a whole other level with the stuff he's doing there.

Last edited by sscoyote; 10-23-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:19 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Best for the money I've found is the SWFA 6,10,12,16 or 20x SS for $299 with mil-Rad reticle from SWFA.com I think it has 120 inches if adjustment & Amazon sells a 20moa rail that tops a std 20mm rail for $22 that works well IMHO.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh boy, glad I got my high top boots on this morning

If you do a bit of searching on YouTube and websites such as this one the long-range rimfire game is being discovered by many that finally open the door, step thru and give it a try. I'm still being amazed how well these things do at distances an average CF shooter gets excited about hitting small targets.

It's great to be able to get on sites like this to get quick info on what others have found works and what doesn't. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the same goes for the long-range rimfire game.

For our small targets at multiple distances we have the luxury of knowing the distances or can rangefind them. For PD hunting a BDC scope may be the best solution for a quick precise holdover, a quick estimated hold off follow-up shoot can then usually get a hit.

I still learn something new every day watching, listening, reading threads and experimenting to try and improve for just one more hit. I spent a few hours up at SSK Industries chatting with JD Jones the other day about the rimfires. He's really into subsonic stuff with his Whisper line of CF cartridges and there are a lot of similarities between the two. Both can be very accurate at distance but technique and reading Mother Nature becomes far more critical to making them perform to their potential.

I've avoided due to my own stubbornness playing with the add-ons BR rimfire use such as tuners and big heavy rests. I know they make these guns more accurate along with more expensive ammo., keep it fun and find what level you enjoy the most.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 10-24-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:06 AM
xdm9mm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I use a weaver kaspa 3-9 with ballistic x reticle on my RAR 22lr.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:55 PM
BillOH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally broke down and ordered one of the SWFA 16X scopes like Topstrap uses. I got it in mils not moa. It came in today and I stuck it on one of my 10-22's while I'm waiting on a 25 moa DIP base for my CZ. I like it a lot. I sighted it in and shot a few groups at 50 yards. Longer ranges to come. The reticle is much better than the Vortex and Mueller I have been using.