Ruger Mark IV - Page 8 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking Ruger

hit the nail on the head with the MK IV, the FIRST really new and innovative thing to come from them in a LONG TIME! I AM one of "those people" who hates taking apart the ruger pistols. no reason for it to be as difficult as it is. I WILL probably buy a MK IV as soon as the buying frenzy dies down. I have always liked these pistols and have owned them in the PAST. I am so glad to see that ruger has stepped up and did something really new.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:52 AM
thomaston2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe Ruger is becoming like Apple, every time a new one comes out a line forms to get one. I would be happy if they just spent a few dollars polishing their internals so they were good right out of the box like they use to be. But we all know it is about sales and laws.

Still I am pretty fond of mine (:
Old 09-24-2016, 09:58 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Always interested to see a new design. I wonder how long it will be before we see frames, barrels etc. from VQ and the rest of the aftermarket crowd. I have two Mk II's that I really like and a 22/45 that runs well, but which has less curb appeal than the Mk II's, and a VQ LLV that sits on a 22/45 frame. Maybe this will be a chance to pick up a Mk III grip frame for the LLV at a reasonable price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 10:11 AM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
People will not just buy one for the easier takedown. There are quite a few improvements that will make a better choice over the Mark III...

1. Push button takedown
2. NO loaded chamber indicator
3. Aluminum frame, which makes it 6.5 ounces lighter
4. Mags actually come out without having to physically pull them out
5. Ambi safety
6. Upgraded slide release
7. Trigger has been reported to be much better

Those are enough reasons for me to sell my Mark III and buy a Mark IV! It seems like they fixed all the problems we wanted fixed.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The MK series are great firearms. Solid, accurate, plenty of aftermarket stuff....but their one shortcoming was ease of disassembly/reassembly. I bought two...and neither would run more than 300 to 400 rounds without the chamber getting dirty which caused stoppages. Yes I could clean the chamber and bore without disassembly but not properly. I sold them both.

I would venture that this one button release of the entire barrel/reciever/bolt is a big deal and will boost sales. The MKIIIs will take a big hit price wise if the new pistol is in the same price range. MKI and II....not so much. Takedown of the old ones kept me from purchasing another one. M1911
Old 09-24-2016, 10:19 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic479h View Post
I am sure the MKIV is going to be a great selling handgun. I for one am not going to buy one.
Good! That means more for me!

Without doubt, I'm going to buy one. Not right now, though. Prices are high in anticipation of high demand. I expect as the calendar turns the prices will go down, Ruger will address any faults the users identify, and the aftermarket supply of upgraded internals will improve.... that's when I'll buy mine.

Quote:
I have 8 Ruger auto's and don't need another.
I have but one rimfire semi-auto, that being a BuckMark I bought after I sold the 22/45 I detested.

Quote:
The MKIV will be great for someone who has a fear of taking the older ones apart and putting them back together.
Not fear; disgust. You can go on and on about how easy it was once you got the hang of it if you would like but from my point of view it was an absolutely ridiculously complicated process that made a proper cleaning a far from pleasant task. Combine that with the too skinny grip of the 22/45 and the non-replaceable grip panels on the older model I had and there wasn't a tear shed when it went down the road. Nay. In fact there was a tiny little spark of joy as the money in hand almost immediately turned into a Browning.

But with the redesign involved in the Mark IV I'll have the ease of care combined with the Ruger advantages of a sights mounted directly to receiver- barrel assembly instead of some bridge attaching barrel to action. Add in the grip angle and replaceable grip panels and I'm happy. IMO Ruger is on track for a real market winner which is what matters to them. Sounds like win-win to me.

So, while I'm glad you're content with your older models I'm looking forward to getting the redesigned version in my hands. Horses for courses, as they say.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-24-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Florida Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It also looks like it will have a slingshot bolt release unlike the Mark III.
I will also probably buy one after all the hoopla dies down, along with pricing and availability.
In addition: it only took Ruger 50+ years to come up with a takedown system similar to High Standard.
I love the ease of which I can takedown my Victors.

Last edited by Florida Guy; 09-24-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks like the ultimate Mark, if it proves to be free of problems in the long run. In my early shooting life I had a Standard, and more recently a Mark III Target with all the lawyer crap removed. I found both to be disappointments compared to revolvers. Too heavy, and still not quite the dependability of wheel guns. PITA to detail clean, or even field clean, though I could do either without a problem. Plus you just can't help but want lots of mags, which cost more than speedloaders.

It's beyond my budget, so it's just as well I've finally learned I'm a revolver guy. The only semi-auto I own now is a 10/22.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 PM
vic479h
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most of us have done things so that the older Rugers can function better. For me I have all my Rugers worked on so I don't need another. For someone who doesn't have one or doesn't want to do work on their older Ruger the new one would be great. If I didn't have so many I would buy the MKIV in a heartbeat!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Does anyone know if it still has the infernal lock?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Too many Ruger Mark pistols? Cast off the "older" models in lieu of making life easier? And they say the kids these days are spoiled? I don't believe that for one minute, they just smell that way.

Actually, I've enjoyed experiencing the evolution of the Ruger Mark & Standard pistols over the years that I've been involved with working on all the specimens, from very early to latest, that have been available. Anything and everything that's unlikable concerning the older pistols can be modified, and everything concerning dis and re assembly can be learned, if you want to learn how, bad enough.

I applaud Ruger for listening to customer complaints involving some of the complaints that have haunted the Ruger Mark III guns since 2005. Too bad it took 12 years for those complaints to seem plausible to them. Another case of "time" being the teacher?

Have too many Ruger Mark pistols? How many is too many? I have a bunch of 'em, the amount I will not divulge, but I can promise one thing............there's gonna be one more soon.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:27 PM
hesco
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like a winner glad I haven't picked up a plasticky victory, will buy one of these if trump is elected and the frenzy dies down
Old 09-24-2016, 01:43 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Aluminum Grip Frame Mark IV

Here's a picture of the aluminum grip frame version of the Ruger Mark IV. Will it be the replacement for the 22/45?

Couple of things to notice. No WAG's involved here.

Looks like the hammer is a lightened version. Sides relieved of weight.

Mainspring housing assembly is absent. Therefore, no "key and lock" set-up.

Ambidextrous "thumb safety" function. I gotta see how that deal works.

Looks much better than plastic.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:45 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Well, I was thinking about a S&W Victory until I saw the Mark IV. I'll probably wait until they are out for a year to see what that reviews are like and let Ruger get any bugs out of the production, but then again, I may not be able to wait that long.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:00 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Here's a picture of the aluminum grip frame version of the Ruger Mark IV. Will it be the replacement for the 22/45?

Couple of things to notice. No WAG's involved here.

Looks like the hammer is a lightened version. Sides relieved of weight.

Mainspring housing assembly is absent. Therefore, no "key and lock" set-up.

Ambidextrous "thumb safety" function. I gotta see how that deal works.

Looks much better than plastic.

Oh yeah, I like the looks of that. This looks so far like a great improvement over the Mark III.