Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for this thread weblance!
As a new 10/22 TD owner I have found this thread to be extremely useful. I recently purchased a 10/22 TD when my local Wholesale Sports had a boxing day sale ($150 discount). I don't intend to use my TD as a backpacking rifle as many do, but as a modular rifle system using 2 or 3 different barrels and only one receiver, trigger and stock.

I have also purchased a Magpul X22 TD stock and an Adaptive Tactical Charger barrel (both still in transit):

I decided to go with the short Tac Hammer barrel, as I am skeptical of the really long cantilever scope mount - looks like it would be prone to vibrate like a tuning fork, so not ideal for long distance accuracy. Also I can't find any reviews of the Tac Hammer barrels. This short barrel will be for short-medium distance plinking with a red dot, or low power scope. For longer distance target shooting (50 yard +) I intent to get the Volquartsen, however everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment. Does anyone know of these in stock anywhere?

I am also thinking of getting this Magpul red dot mount for the standard barrel and modifing the forend to accept it (available for pre-order at Brownells):

This brings up a question: I will need at least one additonal forend (a short one to fit the Charger barrel) and barrel catch assembly - can anyone provide a source for either of these?

Thanks
TEG

BTW there are no legal issues with the short barrel (Canadian laws do not have a minimum barrel length for a rimfire rifle)

Last edited by Tom E Gun; 01-14-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom E Gun View Post
Thanks for this thread weblance!
As a new 10/22 TD owner I have found this thread to be extremely useful. I recently purchased a 10/22 TD when my local Wholesale Sports had a boxing day sale ($150 discount). I don't intend to use my TD as a backpacking rifle as many do, but as a modular rifle system using 2 or 3 different barrels and only one receiver, trigger and stock.

I have also purchased a Magpul X22 TD stock and an Adaptive Tactical Charger barrel (both still in transit):

I decided to go with the short Tac Hammer barrel, as I am skeptical of the really long cantilever scope mount - looks like it would be prone to vibrate like a tuning fork, so not ideal for long distance accuracy. Also I can't find any reviews of the Tac Hammer barrels. This short barrel will be for short-medium distance plinking with a red dot, or low power scope. For longer distance target shooting (50 yard +) I intent to get the Volquartsen, however everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment. Does anyone know of these in stock anywhere?

I am also thinking of getting this Magpul red dot mount for the standard barrel and modifing the forend to accept it (available for pre-order at Brownells):

This brings up a question: I will need at least one additonal forend (a short one to fit the Charger barrel) and barrel catch assembly - can anyone provide a source for either of these?

Thanks
TEG

BTW there are no legal issues with the short barrel (Canadian laws do not have a minimum barrel length for a rimfire rifle)
I'm in Canada too. I have done my volquartsen buying from sylvestrie in Alberta. Got my take down barrel and forearm combo there, along with bolt etc. Where did you get your barrel. Easy to get the mag stock but have been having trouble getting parts for it. Now to find the time to put it together.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 AM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
I'm in Canada too. I have done my volquartsen buying from sylvestrie in Alberta. Got my take down barrel and forearm combo there, along with bolt etc. Where did you get your barrel. Easy to get the mag stock but have been having trouble getting parts for it. Now to find the time to put it together.
Sylvestre Sporting Goods is out of stock of the barrel I am looking for (and they want $600 for it!!!). I ordered the Tac Hammer barrel from IRunGuns. Brownells sells Magpul parts for the X22 stock.
Cheers
TEG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Sylvestre Sporting Goods is out of stock of the barrel I am looking for (and they want $600 for it!!!). I ordered the Tac Hammer barrel from IRunGuns. Brownells sells Magpul parts for the X22 stock.
Cheers
TEG
Thanks for the info. I could not find a vq any cheaper in Canada, so the fun pot got quite a little lighter.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 PM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
AGP is the only one I know of that sells just a forearm. I dont know what their policy is about Canadian shipping.

I think Magpul just scored a home run with the optic mount. It replaces the factory barrel block and will eliminate the accuracy issues with a receiver mounted optic. The Magpul stock is interesting, but the optic mount will get my money. I have an extra threaded barrel without sights, and an extra forearm. I have wanted to set up a barrel with a red dot. The Takedown is actually a great rifle, as long as you don't rely on the receiver for an optic.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree weblance. It only makes sense to mount the sights, whether they be irons, red-dot or scope, directly to the barrel if the barrel is removable - in order to maintain accuracy and consistent POI. Also, it is more practical if you have multiple barrels to have the sights and barrel as one unit.
Thanks for the AGP forearm suggestion, it is "interesting" by that I mean really ugly (to my eyes) and they will not ship to Canada. I may just try to make a wooden forearm and paint it to match the Magpul stock. I still need to find a source for the barrel latch hardware, since the Magpul Backpack optic mount does not appear to come with the hardware.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Nickshawn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I agree weblance. It only makes sense to mount the sights, whether they be irons, red-dot or scope, directly to the barrel if the barrel is removable - in order to maintain accuracy and consistent POI. Also, it is more practical if you have multiple barrels to have the sights and barrel as one unit.
Thanks for the AGP forearm suggestion, it is "interesting" by that I mean really ugly (to my eyes) and they will not ship to Canada. I may just try to make a wooden forearm and paint it to match the Magpul stock. I still need to find a source for the barrel latch hardware, since the Magpul Backpack optic mount does not appear to come with the hardware.
Check Ebay, there is at least one seller that has them listed.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:47 PM
ryanhope

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Too bad that X22 optics mount is so small, don't think anything but a red dot will fit.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Strm27m
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhope View Post
Too bad that X22 optics mount is so small, don't think anything but a red dot will fit.
Some of the one piece mounts should fit for a scout scope or similar.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ch-padlxsmext1
Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 PM
ryanhope

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strm27m View Post
Some of the one piece mounts should fit for a scout scope or similar.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ch-padlxsmext1
Thats definitely an option. TS could easily make a version that was slightly larger and cantilever it. It would be nice to keep the QD rings that came with the UTG Bugbuster.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 AM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm thinking a 2x or 4x pistol scope could be mounted with a single scope ring like this:
Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 AM
kave
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I machined a base from 6061 to install a FF directly to the barrel. I used a dovetail blank from Brownells as the nut to secure the base to the barrel. It holds zero and is as accurate as I need it to be.

Next project is to machine a similar base for a bull barrel. It should be much easier than the stock tapered barrel. However, I may have to drill and tap two holes in the barrel to secure the base.

Not really an option if you want a scope.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:11 PM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
kave... that is very nicely done. GOOD JOB !! This is the type of ingenuity that will make the 10/22 Takedown shine.

The Takedown IS a great rifle, but the fact that Ruger chose to use a receiver mount for the optic was a mistake.

I really hope in the future Ruger decides to drill and tap the barrel, like the Browning SA-22, then the aftermarket could produce an optic mount.

I have been very happy with my two Takedowns, once I got the optic issues sorted out. I have a couple old style 10/22s that probably will get traded away, or passed to younger family members. I just don't see myself shooting those rifles anymore, now that I have the Takedowns.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
I machined a base from 6061 to install a FF directly to the barrel. I used a dovetail blank from Brownells as the nut to secure the base to the barrel. It holds zero and is as accurate as I need it to be.

Next project is to machine a similar base for a bull barrel. It should be much easier than the stock tapered barrel. However, I may have to drill and tap two holes in the barrel to secure the base.

Not really an option if you want a scope.

Fantastic job kave! Is there any reason a similar base could not be combined with a deep picatinny rail like this to create a cantilever scope mount similar to Volquartsens?

precisionarmament.com

PS: If you are interested in building some for sale, I would like to be first in line

Last edited by Tom E Gun; 01-28-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 AM
kave
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I'm quite happy with the result.

I don't know that the dovetail slot alone would support a cantilever mount. Much like VQ and AT have done, one would need to drill and tap holes in the top of the barrel to support a cantilever mount.

Tom, I'd be happy to modify one of those rails for you if you have a method of attachment.

Another pic.