Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Litetrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
T/C Contender problem

Have an older model T/C that now takes two hands (white knuckle) to open. Anyone know how to fix this?
Old 06-19-2016, 05:29 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Mine always takes two hands. The way I learned to do it is to shake the gun forward and down while pulling on the trigger guard. Do not oil the action in an effort to make it smoother, a couple shots of dry film spray lube like Hornady One Shot is OK, but NO oil. I have four barrels, and they all require this to open.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:19 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Both of my easy open frames are "one handers" to open.
Have a barrel that will require more than 2 hands if used on one frame.
Works fine on the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 PM
bykerhd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an older Contender frame that I was using for .22 LR, .357 Maximum & .44 Magnum.

While shooting .357 Maximum medium power reloads it locked up solid & would not open after firing at all.
I had to disassemble the pistol before I could remove the barrel.

The frame went back to TC who then sent me a new replacement frame with a "We're sorry...." they could not repair the old frame and WOULD I accept the new frame in return, no charge.... ?

Duh, YEAH ! Of course !!!

I hope, if your issues should become more severe, that you have good luck with TC's current owners, Smith & Wesson.

Good luck in any case.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:53 AM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had the same problem opening my contender, mine is an early frame. Need to stone the tops of the kocking lugs on the barrels. Some bbl's were quicker to do. Get the oil off them and coat with a magic marker then stone evenly and flat. May take a few times to do or a bunch. Don't stone the small angle, just the flat area. I also hit all the edges a few times in case there is a burr. Mine are easier to open with 3 barrels. Getting a .38 special bbl today in the mail and will fit it also if needed. Larry
Old 06-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have an early frame and a late barrel the worst combination. What I found many years ago is two things help.

One and least important is to put a little up pressure on the barrel while pulling the lever.

Second and most important is that it is not how hard you pull it is where and what angle you pull. I have watched strong men use two hands and pull till their face is red and not open mine. I take it and open it with one or two FINGERS!! Never pull straight back. Imagine an angle of about 45 degrees from the lever to the top of the grip. Pull on that angle. It will take some playing until you get it right but that is the secret on many Contenders I have owned (3) or tried. I have watched owners struggle with this and when I show them I can open THEIR pistol with one or two fingers they are amazed yet when I hand it back to them they go right back to trying to muscle the firearm!!

It truly is a matter of brains over brawn. It will take you a little while to get this right but some night while watching the boob tube just keep playing with the ANGLE you pull it at not now hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk