Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
whats the point

Why is the take down so popular when its so cranky and hard to get to hit what you want with it?

The take down mechanism is obviously flawed, and needs a redesign. Considering you could get take down rifles made in 1887 and not have as many, if any, issues of loss of zero after taking the barrel off between each shot of say a 20 round test group.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The takedown will work fine as long as it is set correctly. That being said it is not a target gun and was never intended to be. People spend alot of money on aftermarket barrels and stocks for their TD's and expect them to shoot as good as their regular target 10/22's, which they really just aren't capable of. As long as people buy the stuff companies are going to sell it. That's not saying you can't have an accurate TD. I have 3 of them and they all have aftermarket barrels on them. They shoot slightly better than OEM but not even close to any of my bench guns, at least not with any consistency. The TD is sold as a portable survival gun. I keep one in my truck, one in my car, and another in a small bugout bag. I tried to get them to shoot as good as my non TD's but didn't take long to realize that it wasn't going to happen. Ruger seen a hole in the market and built the TD to fill it. They can still be alot of fun to shoot just not off the bench accuracy.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
mdauben

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like Nick says, it's no bench rest gun but I've never had any problems getting reasonable accuracy out of mine. Certainly good enough for plinking, casual target shooting or even hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Careful there Minute...

You are starting to sound like Andy Rooney.

While I do agree the 10/22 takedown is useless accuracy-wise, I certainly don't get your running around RFC complaining about things you've never owned...
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Dieseldude03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't experienced any issues with point-of-impact shift when removing my barrel. Keep the mechanism adjusted properly and you won't have an issue.

Those take-down guns of 1887 had both sights on the barrel. Impossible for zero to change unless the sights themselves were moved. Scopes of the day, like the barrel-length Malcolm, were also mounted directly to the barrel. So no issue there either.

Tang-mounted peep sights or receiver sights were rarely EVER used on TD rifles, for this very reason.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Red face never have seen any reason

to own ANY take down rifle, what is the point unless you want to back pack or keep in a vehicle or air craft for potential survival use. I own two, a Norinco browning clone, and once I got the barrel wobble cured I NEVER have taken it down again, no need to. the other is a mid 1950s Savage 29B pump, I never take it down either. JUST MY OPINION, please don't throw rocks ! LOL
Old 03-02-2018, 09:43 AM
kilyung

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They’re a lot easier to take apart and clean. Storage is also simple. I’ve had no accuracy concerns with my 3 TDs and even merited two Appleseed patches with stock barreled TDs. My kids love taking them with us on hikes for some impromptu target shooting. With silencers, no one is the wiser that we’re packing rifles. For precision .22LR shooting, I prefer my bolt guns (CZ455 + Marlin 25N).
Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i never really understood how people say the 10/22 is hard to clean, most people use a pull through rod kit. And maybe take the bolt out every few thousand rounds if that often.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 PM
kilyung

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning is easier because you can pass a patch down the barrel without having to disassemble the receiver. Of course you can just use a bore-snake to achieve the same thing.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 PM
birdmove

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
to own ANY take down rifle, what is the point unless you want to back pack or keep in a vehicle or air craft for potential survival use. I own two, a Norinco browning clone, and once I got the barrel wobble cured I NEVER have taken it down again, no need to. the other is a mid 1950s Savage 29B pump, I never take it down either. JUST MY OPINION, please don't throw rocks ! LOL

Jon, I have an old Savage pump action take down rifle. Mine was my dad's. It was built in the 1930s. It has an octagonal barrel. It has a round knurled knob you unscrew to break it down. Haven't fired it in many years, and I've grown old and my eyesight won't work well any more using open sights. When I was younger, I found that old Savage shot very well, and considered it a 50 yard rifle.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i think i would go with packability and mobility in earlier backpacking years , it would have done what was needed in the places i went , today i want a larger caliber in that place in the pack , im hauling a 9mm kel tek in its place , hi-cap glock mags and about the same size and weight ,
Old 03-03-2018, 06:58 AM
borregos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Like Nick says, it's no bench rest gun but I've never had any problems getting reasonable accuracy out of mine. Certainly good enough for plinking, casual target shooting or even hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
This!!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:15 AM
lovesmausers
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree

I am with the op on this one. This nothing more than another gimmick by ruger to boost sales. Just like the rsaum and wsm cartridges were. I tried to hunt with a browning takedown borrowed from my cousin. After missing several squirrels and using my map as a target in a attemp to sight in while in the woods I gave up in frustration. The barrel nut would not stay tight and caused the point of impact to change constantly and this was a rifle with the scope mounted to the barrel. I can't imagine one with the scope mounted to the receiver. Townsen Whelan said "only accurate rifles are interesting" The 10/22 is inaccurate enough as is. I hunt with one but I have done extensive work to it to get it where it is now and it could still stand some improvement. I see no advantage to a takedown rifle stored in you pack. To me one of life's greatest pleasures is walking through the woods with a rifle in your hands. Not to mention that if you do come across some game it will be gone by the time get your rifle out of your pack and put it together. This same problem would happen if you needed it in a self defence situation. Ruger 10/22 takedown? Thanks but no thanks
Old 03-03-2018, 10:33 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I see these as 'novelty' guns. Nobody buys a standard 10/22 carbine for it's accuracy... and the takedown is less accurate than those. I see them as a CLOSE range gun that you can pack away easily. If you need more than that, you'll likely have to look elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:30 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink fine old rifles, arent they

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
Jon, I have an old Savage pump action take down rifle. Mine was my dad's. It was built in the 1930s. It has an octagonal barrel. It has a round knurled knob you unscrew to break it down. Haven't fired it in many years, and I've grown old and my eyesight won't work well any more using open sights. When I was younger, I found that old Savage shot very well, and considered it a 50 yard rifle.
you must have a mdl 29 to be that old. the 29 series was produced MANY years. mine is a mid 1950s 29B. the take down feature is good I guess, but I never take it down, no need to. I am 72 and I agree with you about iron sights, I am still able to use them but with difficulty. I just had cataract surgery in dec 2017, and this did help my vision. I think these old savage pumps are real sleepers, as good as the Winchesters, but not demanding out of this world prices. mine is about 90% +, I lucked up on it at my LGS last year, $225.00. I smiled all the way out the door !! it had a very dirty chamber from .22 shorts use ,and wouldn't extract LR cases. with much scrubbing and chamber polishing it works excellent now. I like the very short, 1.5", pump stroke, and fairly light weight.