Single shot adapter needed. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Crestwalker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single shot adapter needed.

Does anyone know if single shot adapters are made for the 22lr Ruger American (am not refering to the single shot magazine). Had issues with fliers until I started loading the chamber by hand, and in chilly limb bakin huntin weather that is kinda hard for me with my old hands. Would rather find one to purchase than have to make a magazine insert.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 PM
rinardman

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I made one, just to see if I could. I make adapters for regular 22 mags, but had never tried making one for a RAR. It wasn't as big a job as I thought it would be, but have no plans to start making them for other shooters because I don't think there would be much demand for them. The one I made isn't pretty, but if you can't find one anywhere, I could send it to you to try.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Crestwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the offer. But, I also belong to the just see if I can clan. Have two pieces of raw stock to work with, some one inch long hollow plastic pillars I picked up somewhere along the way and a few antique aluminum arrow inserts. Am leaning toward the plastic pillars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Rosebud22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, you got me thinking since I too wanted a single shot method. I had some low temp melt plastic. Put in in boiling water and it turns soft. When cool much like nylon. So took the rotor out of a standard mag, stuffed some of this heated plastic into the feed lips. After cooling, a little dremel work and sanding.
Took about a hour of fooling around. If I had to do another one, about half that time. So far on the bench seems to load and eject fine. You load via the ejection port. Just drop/place the bullet in. Have not had the chance to try it out on the range yet.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:18 PM
danoh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (71)
That's a neat idea!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That's a very innovative, good old American ingenuity..
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Crestwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like I'll be ordering some stuff from Inventables. Nothing like a nice level feed. Thank you for sharing your idea.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 PM
JeepDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why not just use the BX-1 magazine?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Crestwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the BX-1 would still have the same issue as with the std.10 round magazine, to much angle of entry of the round into the chamber. When using CCi Std Vel either in the reasonably priced Target or the higher priced Green Tag, have eliminated the 1" to 1.5" fliers and have kept everything in one ragged hole at 25 yards when hand feeding rounds as level and as straight as possible into the chamber. At the local shooting range have not done any serious shooting out to 50 yards (other than to make sure both rounds are limb bacon MOA) due to the wind. there is some serious wind eddy currents even with the wind in the 5 mph to 10 mph velocities from any direction. At present the Compact is mounted with a Lupe 3x9efr. With this scope fliers are not parallax related. Got really lucky last november and was able to buy both above mentioned rounds in large lot quantity and did not experience flier issues with a pair of CZ"s. Ergo fliers had something to do with Compact. Am pleased to find the fix as easy as a simple feed issue. really like this littl gun. Am looking forward to mounting my Tech-Sights and then carrying it around this year during the early bushy-tail season when shots taken will be at less than 25 yards..... Need to add, found the same issue using five different rounds of ammo, wiith the only ammo type not producing fliers (1/2" groups at 25/50 yards) was the CCI-Velocitor but for my end use, this round has more report than I like.

Last edited by Crestwalker; 02-09-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:43 AM
JeepDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting. I can't say I've had those issues. I have but quite a few CCI SV down my RAR. She's a great shooter. That being said I should start looking at my saved targets and double check.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM
doc thornton
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think Kydex (Boltaron) thermal sheets are inexpensive easily acquired
from Amazon or knife and holster making supply places. It would be easy
to trim some small pieces from the sheet and mold them into the shape
desired to ease the cartridge forward into the chamber.

Kydex is designed for just such a purpose, heat and form to shape.
Nice and slick too. Maybe use the bottom of the bolt as a pattern ?
The bolt would slide over it and push the ctg. straight in, or not.

Create a pattern of the correct shape, make them in quantity then offer
them to the rest of us at a cheap price.

You would then become a legend on RFC.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Crestwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for another good idea to think about. Will be staring into the gun-works for another two hours. Legendary Stature! In retrospect, the roads to status took many opposite detours and they have all been related to the purchase of that first gun with hard earned grass cutting money, some 50 years back, out of the trunk of a car, from some guy I didn't know.

Last edited by Crestwalker; 02-15-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Crestwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Snowed in yesterday. Decided to tackle the single shot adapter with what I had on hand. Found an old Bakelite ash tray in a junk box (where it came from is forgotten). Base was 1/2"thick. After hours of sanding and shaping got the thing to fit snug into the aluminum feeder. Then sand formed the top so round lays at proper angle for a no damage feed. Did minor filing forming to the top of the aluminum feed so base of round had positive even back stop. JB'd the bakelite into the aluminum. Works as wanted, easy hand feed, no damage to round when bolt fed. Bakelite should be heat resistant enough to withstand blowback and prevent particle imbedding. Sorry, no pic's. Would provide If I could drop/drag from personal photo file. Also JB'd four 58cal roundballs into thr bottom of the plastic mag well, added weight allows magazine to gravity drop when mag release is pressed. Will guard this one-off with my sons life. If there is ever a need to replace it, will try one of the above suggestions. That Bakelite [email protected]*p is a bear to shape.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 PM
00nothing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Next time anyone tackles a single loader a photo journal would be great I'm sure there's a few of us who would love to see it.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Crestwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Want to post pics.. Haven't figured out how to do yet. Sorry.