Marlin 22 mag accuracy - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve34 View Post
for a non-hunter what is a good entry level 22 Mag for not too much money? I'm also not much of a gunsmith type, one reason I like Ruger and Henry, send it back on their dime. I have a 10/22 and an H001 but am thinking I would like a little stronger round. Been reading here and other sites and the Ruger American seems to be pretty good out of the box tho I do like the looks of the Henry much better, wood and "blue".
If you can get your hands on a Zastava MP22, I think you will be happy. I have three Zastavas. Two are .22s (Rem. Mdl 5 & Zastava CZ99 .22) and the Zastava 22WMR Mdl MP22.

My Zastavas outshoot my CZs and all the rest of my rifles.

[IMG][URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/varmithunter/media/20D47086-FAF8-42B8-BC75-1061410F7EAB.jpg.html]
I have, or had, some pics from 50 yds (can't find them), that were showing about the same grouping. The poly point seems to be the most accurate. I got the WMR from Whittakers for $225+/-.

VH
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Steve in IN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That would be incredible with a benchrest rifle and the very best. 22LR ammo! With a. 22 mag,
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmblsnowman View Post
my 925M is regularly under 1" at 100yrds. with hornady ammo I can usually cover 3 with a dime and 5 with a nickel at 100yrds. usually outshoot my best friend with his savage 17hmr.
keyboard.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Abmblsnowman
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steve34, search local walmarts(some sell firearms) I've had good luck with rugers(pre American) savage and marlin rifles. I got my marlin 925m 22wmr for $150
Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Abmblsnowman
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
Quote:
my 925M is regularly under 1" at 100yrds. with hornady ammo I can usually cover 3 with a dime and 5 with a nickel at 100yrds. usually outshoot my best friend with his savage 17hmr.
Attachment 149714
Actually snagglepuss, I have extensive military experience. Nice try though
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Actually snagglepuss, I have extensive military experience. Nice try though
Just odd that your first post is claiming accuracy that on the whole is definitely not attributed to the WMR (their are reams of this on this website alone), with a fairly inexpensive gun that is most definitely (again) considered to have a hunter barrel as opposed to target barrel...and you show no pics.
I could be wrong (it has been known to happen), but I see all to often people at the range who make claims like yours...but on the day I'm there they come up with litany of excuses...too windy, dirty barrel, too much coffee.
If you gun is shooting like that...it is one of the most valuable Marlins out there.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:44 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
50 yards versus 100 yards...

In my own experience shooting outdoors at 50 yards and 100 yards, there is a world of difference. Bill Calfee recognizes this and has written on it as well. I have done a lot of shooting off of a bench at 50 yards. IR 50/50 and the 50 yard iron sight matches here on RFC. Maybe someday I will be blessed with access to an indoor 100 yard range, but for now, it has all been outside and almost always with wind. The results on paper at 100 yards are closer to four times that at 50 yards. You might expect twice sized groups, but no such results, about four times. At least that has been my day and day out experience. And all of this discussion is with good .22 rimfire rifles and at least middle of the road or better match ammo.

I did go through my file folder for my Marlin .22 mag rifle. I have saved some of my best targets with different ammo over the years. I tend to throw away poor targets. I had some very nice groups at 50 yards. At 100 yards, my best average groups were just under two inches and I did have two groups of only 3 shots of about an inch. Not representative. I am a firm believer that it takes about ten groups of five shots each to begin to represent what the shooter and rifle is doing. And lastly, in all fairness to the rifle, I have not spent the money to buy a lot of different quality ammo to see what it likes best. Maybe I shall have to do that someday.