Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 PM
cwlongshot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadger View Post
That's pretty good shooting. I expect the CMR30 to be even better in a 16" barrel using the same basic action as the PMR30. One question -- how reliable is the PMR30? Can you fire all 30 rounds without a hiccup once you find the ammo it likes? I ask, because the history of .22wmr in semi-autos is pretty spotty.
I agree, the CMR should be better!

Now, YES and with most all ammo! BUT, I had to "Fluff and buff" the gun and its magazines.

The gun is pretty good overall, I consider it 100% reliable now. It likes reg CCI maxi Mags but shoots all I have tried well enough for a plinker.

CW
Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 PM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I read on another forum that the CMR30, due in 3rd quarter of this year (now), has started shipping. And that Kel-Tec has bought new land to expand their operations in Florida to meet demand. They've refused, however, to take a loan to do this, preferring to recycle profits. They're worried about getting stuck with a big loan, then have more states ban something like the CMR30.

Anyway, has anyone actually seen any CMR30s for sale?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 PM
stillsearchin'
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
There are any number of rifles marlin, savage etc which could be easily given the midget magnum treatment. Cut the barrel to 16 inches shorten the foreend and length of pull. Add a takedown screw. I would put storage in the butt for extra ammo, add a good set of iron sights. A box of wrf will take a lot of bunnies. Or head shots dont destroy meat. This might make a good winter project

Eric
So, has anybody made their own midget magnum? I think it's a good idea. In fact, I am going to start looking for an affordable used 925M and attempt to make my own.
Might take awhile though. Have to keep the firearm purchases on the down-low so the wife doesn't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsearchin' View Post
So, has anybody made their own midget magnum? I think it's a good idea. In fact, I am going to start looking for an affordable used 925M and attempt to make my own.
Might take awhile though. Have to keep the firearm purchases on the down-low so the wife doesn't know.
Funny that you bring it up.

First up, go for it! I want to see a project come together.

Personally, after much contemplation, I have started with my own version of the Midget Magnum. However, since it is a Zastava in .22 WMR I will call it a Mini Magnum.

What I have done so far is lopped the stock to about 13.25" LOP and the barrel to about 16.5". I have started on a stock storage idea and have received new sights (peep rear/different front) and muzzle crown cutter from Midway USA. I will not be making it a takedown gun as the gun has two action screws and a separate trigger guard screw.

Due to my job and household duties, this will take a few weekends to complete. If it turns out to be publicly presentable, I'll show photos in a new thread.

Done now. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=574125

Last edited by chicharrones; 02-08-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlow411 View Post
Just a random thought, but if the SHTF, a gun in two pieces is in all reality just two clubs.
Rub two clubs together and you get a fire . . . arm.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Chicharrones . . .

. . . that project gun sure does sound like a winner to me. I hope you post pictures of it when you are finished.

I think CZ is really missing the boat by not offering the Scout in .22 Magnum - they would sell a few. They already make a 22 Magnum receiver - whats the hold-up CZ ?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
J.R., I think you answered your own question with "they would sell a few." "Few" being the critical word in discussions between the Marketing and Manufacturing Depts.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM
msurveyor

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The 22 wrm is as close to ideal as it gets in a 'walk away with one gun" story.
I would be torn between my 77/22m with 2x7 loup or my 94/22m with a red dot.
I know any optic looks wrong on a 94 but i just can't "see" shooting without.
The take down option on the 94 or any gun that involves exposing loose-able parts (like the takedown screw) springs etc would never happen. We assume the parts network is down. The risk of having your only gun turn to junk with a part missing would make me find a way to deal with it in full size and to carry it taken down is to not be ready to use it.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM
GuyPike
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Survival

Sooner or later survival will come down to availablity of ammo. The ability to scavenge ammo from the dead enemy will make it or break it and the enemy will be using 5.56 Nato.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPike View Post
Sooner or later survival will come down to availablity of ammo. The ability to scavenge ammo . . . will be using 5.56 Nato.
Some of us already have take down guns in that caliber.

Last edited by chicharrones; 01-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
. . . that project gun sure does sound like a winner to me. I hope you post pictures of it when you are finished.
I hope so, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
I think CZ is really missing the boat by not offering the Scout in .22 Magnum - they would sell a few. They already make a 22 Magnum receiver - whats the hold-up CZ ?
I'm thinking something like the Scout with a changeable buttstock spacer so it will fit different people. Plus, some sort of stock storage.

The Ruger American Rimfire Compact would be a great candidate as well, if that barrel was cut to just above the minimum. If I didn't already own my Zastava, I'd probably have bought the Ruger and shortened it up. 9 round flush mount .22 WMR magazines? Just pure sweetness.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:12 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
J.R., I think you answered your own question with "they would sell a few." "Few" being the critical word in discussions between the Marketing and Manufacturing Depts.
True, it might be limited sales. But I'm sure CZ Brod was surprised that the Ultralux model took off like it did - its become a CZ Cult of sorts. Started out with 2500 limited run - then Katey bar the door !

But the Ultralux isn't a .22 Magnum either.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the .22 Magnum, but don't yet have a true rifle in the caliber. I have the 1" NAA Pug, 2" NAA Black Widow, and a 7-shot J-frame with 1.875" barrel. Needless to say, the .22 mag out of such short barrels is less than ideal.

I did recently get a Chipmunk Hunter (10.5" barrel) in .22 mag, and it might have some bug-out potential, especially if the stock was sanded to be much smaller. It's definitely short enough to transport easily and has some accuracy potential with Williams fire sights and is D&T for optics.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
As much as I love the 22 magnum it is a poor "bug out" choice. You either want something that doesn't make too much noise(22lr, even better with suppressor) or something with a lot more power to go with the bang. Now for general survival the magnum is perfect, around where I live I can take any wild game with the cartridge. Bugging out usually involves travel though. Best not to be seen or heard. For the weight you can also carry more 22lr. I have a b.o.b. That's always in my truck and I do carry my pmr-30 with 3 loaded magazines and 200 rounds of extra ammo. It is only for protection though. My 10/22 is always in my truck as well and that would be my primary tool for survival. Hopefully I'll have a suppressor for it sooner rather than later.
Chad
Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 PM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a "bug out" or survival long gun would have to have more power than a .22 magnum. I'd want to reliably kill deer, and defend myself against packs of feral dogs, mountain lion, bear, and of course felony-minded people.

I'll take a .223 carbine, please.
Maybe with just a 20-round magazine, not the longer and more cumbersome 30-rounder.

It doesn't have to be mil-spec. It could have the skinny pencil barrel.
Perhaps the Bushmaster Carbon-15 would be good. That gun only weighs something like 4 lbs empty.

Give it a red dot optic but with iron sights (fold-down preferred), and THAT's what I'd like to carry instead of a rimfire.