Ideal bug-out gun: 22 mag takedown? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I've heard a few say that a .22LR over .410 would be a good choice, but does anyone make a takedown version?

My stuff hits the spinning blades choice would be a .357 stainless Blackhawk with the 9.5 inch (I think?) barrel. Tough, versatile ammo selection, and long range capable while still being easy to pack or carry.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cwlongshot,

That's quite a collection! At what range was your target for the Little Badger maggie?

I've considered a single 6 or single 9, but I've read so many people have difficulty shooting them accurately, due to the rollback grip, long hammer travel, etc. How reliable is the Accelerator pistol? I know it's heavy.

I've also considered the Henry 22 mag lever, but heard various reports about it, some good, some bad.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Paco article was great, seconding my sentiments about a 22 mag rifle. I also have a S&W 60 -- J-frame .357 with a 5" barrel (no longer in production) as sidearm. Wadcutters or .38 special RN for small game, the mags for bear defense.

The main thing that convinced me of the versatility and utility of 22 mag was this enlightening post on an Alaskan hunters forum, by gunsmith98:

Quote:
"I have been shooting for over 26 years, 300 rounds daily. I have owned everything from .17 to 50 cal springfield's

My favorite round to shoot is the 22 mag with Winchester X this is a half copper jacket and lead holow tip 40 grain, 2200 fps this is a devistating round out to 200 yards for deer, 300 yards for fox rabit yotes, and upto 450 for turkey, geese.

I have taken yotes at over 150 bullet passing compleatly through leaving a half dollar size hole

I shoot a marlin 22 mag 7 shot with a nikon 4x16x30 scope with BDC I this combo if you know what you are doing will allow you to send a bullet and hit the target at 400 yards. easily, and yes I comp. shoot.

If you think that at 100 -150 yards is all the effective range that a 22 mag has then you need to get you head out of someware.

I have used my marlin 22 mag to take my 10 point white tail deer here in wisconsin last year at 125 yards. hit it behind the shoulder, passing the left lung into the heart. and loging in the right shoulder.

The 22 mag depending on the mfg of the round has up to 3000 fps
I have hand loaded some rounds gaining up to 3489 fps with a 1.13" grouping at 200 yards

different mfgs have different weights on the bullets, the best is 38 or 40 grain rounds has as much stopping power as a 223 at 300 yards.

while true that a .17 is a flatter trag. it looses its knockdown force by over 68 percent after 110 yards due to its light weight. you can not take anything larger than a rabbit after 125 yards.

a 22 mag you will drop 7.29" from 100 yards to 200 yards. this is compensated easily with any good scope. and still has 75% knock down power I have personally taken snowshoe hare at 250 yards. not a problem for this I have used CCI FMJ it allows more penetration at a distance of 200 Yards +

those who say that a 22 mag crap, either has never shot one, incompetent in shooting, or are liars."
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...#ixzz3DKXFWrUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Squirrelhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I've heard a few say that a .22LR over .410 would be a good choice, but does anyone make a takedown version?
Not sure if it's fully 'takedown-able' but Chiappa's Double Badger does fold in half, and in my opinion, is a more well rounded design than the Savage Model 42

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2626

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogsp...olding-22.html

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadger View Post
cwlongshot,

That's quite a collection! At what range was your target for the Little Badger maggie?

I've considered a single 6 or single 9, but I've read so many people have difficulty shooting them accurately, due to the rollback grip, long hammer travel, etc. How reliable is the Accelerator pistol? I know it's heavy.

I've also considered the Henry 22 mag lever, but heard various reports about it, some good, some bad.
IIRC that was 25 yards indoors.

This was 50' indoors.

5 shots into ONE 30cal sized hole!!!

As for the opinions of the author in your story BB... he is a wee bit exaggerative. : 3K form a 22 Maggie, and he reloads them to 3400+?? Maybe he is munchin' on mushrooms or happy weed. I love the Maggie too and fully and completely agree its under rated. But shoot in it at 400 yards and claiming its equal to a cartridge that's nearly THREE TIMES its power. I must cry foul.

Medicine bow mentioned NAA's...

I don't think of them as survival, but as I carry one daily, IF the SHTF I would have one on me.

I have a "few" of them too.

I did mention that I REALLY like the 22 magnum, didn't I??

CW
Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 PM
kid_couteau

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi All

Here is one I made for my Cricket rifle n 22 mag

Stock unscrews so it takes down and fits in a pool cue case

Kid

Last edited by kid_couteau; 10-17-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 PM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
IIRC that was 25 yards indoors.

As for the opinions of the author in your story BB... he is a wee bit exaggerative. : 3K form a 22 Maggie, and he reloads them to 3400+?? Maybe he is munchin' on mushrooms or happy weed. I love the Maggie too and fully and completely agree its under rated. But shoot in it at 400 yards and claiming its equal to a cartridge that's nearly THREE TIMES its power. I must cry foul.

Medicine bow mentioned NAA's...

CW
Yeah, that was a little over the top by Gunsmith98. And how do you reload rimfire? Maybe as a gunsmith he has the equipment to first load some custom 22 mag.

I have a NAA MiniMaster (4"), and I have to know -- where did you get those grips on the two pictured at top? One on right looks like a Black Widow, so grips should fit my MiniMaster. That's been the main drawback to achieving accuracy with it -- the tiny grip.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_couteau View Post
Hi All

Here is one I made for my Cricket rifle n 22 mag

Stock unscrews so it takes down and fits in a pool cue case

Kid
Hey Kid, that is really cool. Care to give us more details on how you made it? Also, what does it weigh and how does it shoot?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey cwlongshot,

Have you tried your Badger at longer distances? 75-100 yards? If I get one, my idea is to equip it with a 4x scope and lightweight NcStar bipod, and hope that it shoots nearly as well as my Savage GL at 100 yards.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I think highly of the 22 Mag, but I don't have a 22 Mag rifle that breaks down. I do have a Savage Striker in 22 Mag that shoots like a rifle. It is easy to carry and would be a good survival choice. I would also want to take my S&W 650 for a sidearm since it uses the same ammo. CW, do you have a Striker?
FM
Old 10-18-2014, 12:04 AM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig
Do the Volquartsen Fusion or Sako Quad fit the bill?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:59 AM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPig View Post
Do the Volquartsen Fusion or Sako Quad fit the bill?
Thanks, I wasn't aware of these. The Volquartsen breaks down well, but at 6+ lbs. and price in the 4 figures, it would overfill my bill!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 AM
BigBadger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
I think highly of the 22 Mag, but I don't have a 22 Mag rifle that breaks down. I do have a Savage Striker in 22 Mag that shoots like a rifle. It is easy to carry and would be a good survival choice. I would also want to take my S&W 650 for a sidearm since it uses the same ammo. CW, do you have a Striker?
FM
Also the Ruger Charger. And Crickett makes a 10" pistol. How does the Striker shoot offhand? Do you steady the foreend with your off hand? I guess you could use a 24" bipod and shoot from a sitting position?
Old 10-18-2014, 12:52 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)

One of a matched pair...

The .22lr shoots pretty well but the .22wmr has been temperamental in limited shooting so far.

Those at 25 yards off the factory Bipod.

The .22lr.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadger View Post
Also the Ruger Charger. And Crickett makes a 10" pistol. How does the Striker shoot offhand? Do you steady the foreend with your off hand? I guess you could use a 24" bipod and shoot from a sitting position?
I really like both of my Strikers, 22lr and 22 Mag. I am pretty shaky and installed studs in the forearm of both so I can use a bipod. I never was very good at shooting offhand so I have been learning how to use a set of collapsible shooting sticks. I have used my Contender with the 357 barrel shooting 38s to practice with the sticks. If I find some rimfire ammo that I can afford, I will gladly go back to the Strikers. From a bench, with a rest, both are accurate enough to satisfy me and ring a gong once in a while. It is too bad they discontinued them.
FM