Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:36 AM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My old Contender and a few questions.

I've been thinking of putting a 22lr octagonal on this old unloved Contender that I bought a few years ago.
It has a 30-30 barrel on it right now, which to me, is almost useless.
How well do the old vintage 22lr barrels shoot?
What should I expect to pay for one?
Also, my gun has a very slight amount of side to side wiggle when the gun is locked up. Normal?
I can close a piece of paper up in the gun and can't pull it out, and you can see no light.
I was going to include pics, but I can't seem to figure out how to add them.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:13 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
My old octagonals shoot as well as my old eyes allow , - if the bore is good, you should be good to go. I will say some impatient people will get frustrated with it, a bit slow to shoot for some, but it really does extend your shooting session and these light weight barrels makes for is a good woods companion. You do have to find an appropriate forearm for these octagonals btw - you probably already knew that.

The cost will vary of course, but I think paying less than $175 for a user in good condition is doing well. They used to sell for even less, Contenders are a real 'Barbie' gun and owners trade - sell them frequently, looking for another chamber is easily done. My own include 10" .22 Magnum and .357 Magnum, and an 8 3/4" .44 Magnum / .410 - very handy and light, but loud and snappy recoil.

From mice to moose - the T/C single shot handguns have it covered.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 AM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any input on the side to side wiggle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
Any input on the side to side wiggle?
Sounds as if your barrel/action hinge pin may be worn, or possibly the frame holes slightly elongated?? Mine are all very tight when locked so I don't have any other suggestion.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those old octagonal barrels are inherently very accurate, but, being light and whippy, makes getting all the potential accuracy out of them a bit tougher than with a bull barrel. That same light weight, though, makes them a great choice for carrying in the woods and short range plinking. Lots of fun to shoot in the smaller bores (not so much fun in the big bores )

Another big plus for us Contender lovers is that the octagonal barrels were probably the nicest barrels TC ever turned out as far as finish. They really are things of beauty.

As to wiggle, I would try replacing the hinge pin, first. Can be caused by other things, but that's the cheap and easy one to try, up front.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Try posting up on speciality pistols site about the side to side wiggle. Lots of experienced T/C shooters there, bet someones ran into this.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My octagon .22 mag is ready to go......finally

Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM
hunt4570
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
I've been thinking of putting a 22lr octagonal on this old unloved Contender that I bought a few years ago.
It has a 30-30 barrel on it right now, which to me, is almost useless.
How well do the old vintage 22lr barrels shoot?
What should I expect to pay for one?
Also, my gun has a very slight amount of side to side wiggle when the gun is locked up. Normal?
I can close a piece of paper up in the gun and can't pull it out, and you can see no light.
I was going to include pics, but I can't seem to figure out how to add them.
WOW, why don't you like your 30/30 barrel? I took lots of deer with mine back in the day.. if you decide to unload it PM me I might be interested in it.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love my .30-30 barrel. It is the first extra barrel I bought after I ordered my new, complete Contender in .22LR.

≡✪≡
Old 11-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a nice vintage Contender you haven there, CD2, very similar to my 80s vintage 22 mag Contender rig, except mine now wears a Sight Mark Mini red dot, which I have yet to try.

nsl, I've been shooting the 30-30 for years. Makes a lot of difference which 30-30 barrel you have for your Contender. The 30-30 really shines in the 14" barrel. Takes you way out there for just about anything you'd want to hunt. Very comparable to what you get in a 30-30 lever rifle for performance, but with better accuracy.

Have had a couple of the 10" bull barrels and they were, okay, but lots of muzzle flip and you do take a hit on the ballistics.

A 30-30 octagon barrel, though, will be a nasty kicker. I wouldn't care to shoot one, but there are lots of Contender folks who buy barrels just for the sake of collecting them. Regardless, I'm sure you could sell it or even swap it for a barrel that you might find more useful.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
I've been shooting the 30-30 for years. Makes a lot of difference which 30-30 barrel you have for your Contender. The 30-30 really shines in the 14" barrel. I agree! Takes you way out there for just about anything you'd want to hunt. Very comparable to what you get in a 30-30 lever rifle for performance, but with better accuracy.

Have had a couple of the 10" bull barrels and they were, okay, but lots of muzzle flip and you do take a hit on the ballistics.
The 10" barrels were somewhat popular for handgun silhouette, but they could be hard to find a decent load for. Too much powder for that short of a barrel. That is why the .30 Herrett was developed. I had the same difficulty with a 10" 7-30 Waters barrel. After lots of testing, it turned out only one powder would give it good accuracy. My 14" Hunter barrel is quite happy with several different brands.

≡✪≡
Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Question powder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
The 10" barrels were somewhat popular for handgun silhouette, but they could be hard to find a decent load for. Too much powder for that short of a barrel. That is why the .30 Herrett was developed. I had the same difficulty with a 10" 7-30 Waters barrel. After lots of testing, it turned out only one powder would give it good accuracy. My 14" Hunter barrel is quite happy with several different brands.
I had some luck with Reloader 12 till it was dropped. What powders did you have luck with, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Kermit1945

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had good shooting with 10" barrels in pistol calibers. I've owned a few, but what has stuck are .32-20 (.30-20 actually) and .45 Long Colt. Hardly shoot the .45 any more though.

CD2--that's my favorite grip! I've used all the factory and a few customs, and that's the one I prefer.

Last edited by Kermit1945; 11-07-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
I had some luck with Reloader 12 till it was dropped. What powders did you have luck with, if you don't mind me asking?
IMR-4198 was the only powder shot well, 3/4" groups at 100. All of the others would only do 3" at that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit1945 View Post
I've had good shooting with 10" barrels in pistol calibers. I've owned a few, but what has stuck are .32-20 (.30-20 actually) and .45 Long Colt. Hardly shoot the .45 any more though.
I have several 10" barrels that are wonderfully accurate: .22LR Match, 6.5 TCU, 7 TCU, .300 Whisper, .30 Herrett, .357 Maximum, .41 Magnum, 10mm Auto. Just the 7-30 Waters version gave me fits. I did sell it, and told the new owner which powder worked best, and kept the 14" barrel. That one shoots great.

≡✪≡
Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 PM
CD2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit1945 View Post

CD2--that's my favorite grip! I've used all the factory and a few customs, and that's the one I prefer.

It was a freebie from my LGS, had some dings so I sanded it down and did a half arse refinish. Cougar cap was Gunkoted black. Still too easy to ding it up, my OCD would have it back into paint/cure same day.

Have some .125 Kydex, proly make a cap that can take a ding better.

I should yank the reddot and base, scallop the base at the front, from 2nd slot (remove it) fwd.