Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppkatt View Post
The receiver is marked with the Anschutz logo, not JGA. The zimmerstutzen came with tins of the round lead balls and I still have the 'cartridges' that are loaded behind. The barrel is standard length but at about 8 -10 inces the underside has a slot cut outand youcan tell the rest of the barrel is just a tube for balance and sight radius I guess.
Thanks guys!

Would a two stage trigger be 'typical' or not ?
So it is a post 1955 gun. The Zimmerstutzen has a barrel insert of about ten inches inside the sleeve, the primer driven cartridge does not have enough charge to push the lead ball through a 22" barrel. The lead balls were numbered and the barrel should be marked "Fur Kugel Nr.8" or Nr. 9 , the Anschutz repeating air rifle Nr. 275 uses a Nr.9 bullet. Both bullets and cartridges are hard to find and quite expensive nowadays.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I think Hank has one that he wants to part with.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Sandy22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
Topkatt,

Pm seen. What's the company logo on the front receiver ring, a JGA monogram or Anschutz? The later replaced the former in 1955 I think so, that gives us a start. On the whole though, I'd think '57 or' 58 would be more likely than '55 or' 56. Anschutz serial numbers seem to rum roughly in sequence; unlike say Winchester who made a batch, stamped on numbers, and then took receivers from a pile sometimes at random over a few years. A 16,000 SN would seem to fit with a later date within your range.

The lack of a fore-end rail makes me think the stock goes with the 4mm zimmerstutzen barrel/action, and the 0.22 is an extra. A 0.22 would need a sling for the Prone/Kneeling positions, but a zimmerstutzen would not.

Tim
There's black & white promotional film doing the rounds here about the production of Anschutz rifles. It is said to have been made in 1956.

One section depicts what appears to be a normal production Match 54 barrelled action being given its proof marks. That barrelled action has the serial number 19605.

If the assumptions implied above are warranted, then Topkatt's rifle can't be later than 1956, and is probably late 1955 or early 1956.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sandy,

16,000 rifles made within two years of production sounds awfully high. Given the s/n range had reached 40K by the mid 1960s, that suggests production slowed considerably just when Anschutz were starting to win the big medals.

Given the spacing and alignment of the 1 and 9 (the 1 is rather higher and further from the 9), I suspect this is actually 9605, which is much more plausible for 1956. A few months ago on the Target Talk forum I found a 1960s rifle with a six digit serial number, for no discernible reason an extra 0 was stamped at the end, a mistake repeated on the bolt.

Last edited by tim slater; 02-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Sandy22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tim,

I'm inclined to agree with you. I admit I did wonder about the positioning of the "1".

As I said, there are several assumptions in what I was suggesting, any of which could easily be wrong.

Incidentally, do you know if they actually started at 0001?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:42 PM
cztom
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had to go to the dark side

I have been shooting a CZ 455, but I moved to the dark side (or I guess the good side depending on the page I am on)LOL ! this week end. Anyway, I bought a Savage Anchsutz 10b in great shape. From what I read above I guess it is prior to 1962 as the muzzle is dove tailed. When was the savage anchsutz in production?
Any information would help.
Tom