Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 AM
magwa
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile ""Hello" - Stupid Question From an Old Newbie

Well, Hello from Coarsegold, California. It's a nice spring here right now and I'm starting a new hobby.

Since I decided to save some dough by not pumping up the motor in my old pickup, The Boss (we call here Beaverslayer because she keeps running over beaver)
decided to wade in in favor of a 10/22 build.

I like to shoot, but have never really gotten into the .22 goodies. Well, I'm all in now.

Although I haven't yet stood in the California waiting line for the 10/22, I expect to go do so tomorrow for a new Standard.

Today, with the help of Beaverslayer's smile and debit card, I ordered a Stockeys Gloss Walnut Eliminator, Kidd two-stage trigger, bolt, and .920 20" barrel combo.

So now I'll read now about scopes/scope mounts/ bipods and rests, etc.

But one question has come up while reading...Is the take down bolt on the 10/22 I'm ordering tomorrow actually "captured" in the Ruger stock? If so, can it be pulled
out so I can use it with the Eliminator? Or do I have to order a different screw from some where out there?

Thanks.

And sorry to be so lame on my first post.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 AM
turmite
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Magwa the screw is captured, kinda in the brass escutcheon but can be backed out by simply unscrewing it loose from the action, remove the action, then apply a little pressure to the end of the screw while continuing to screw it out, and bingo, new screw for the new stock!!

Mike
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)

Welcome to RFC, Magwa! Great people and great info here.

You're off to a great start with some fine parts for your first 10/22. As Mike said, the action screw will come free of the OE stock by simply continuing to unscrew it from the escutcheon. But while you're putting some great components together, there are a few minor ones that are highly desirable too. First, that action screw -- get a hex head version (more than a few aftrer-market versions available from KIDD, Midway, etc.) that will be easier to use, and a stock mar is much less likely than with the OE screw and a screwdriver slip. Second, a buffer to replace that OE steel version -- kinder to your action and your ears. KIDD offers a good one and the Tuffer Buffer found here on the RFC Trading Post is excellent as well. And, again, many other versions are available.

Best of luck with the new build!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 PM
magwa
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post

Welcome to RFC, Magwa! Great people and great info here.
Best of luck with the new build!
Doug
Thanks, Doug and Mike.

I'm still gathering parts. The 10/22 was purchased on Monday and I will now wait to pick it up on 5/1 (after 10:47 a.m. Hahahahaha!).

It's a composite-stock carbine (black receiver) that will come apart day-one before it's fired.

The Kidd goodies, including a Kidd buffer (thanks for the tip, Doug), rec. pin kit, 8/8 trigger group in silver with a red trigger, silver speed ejector,
.920 20" bead-blasted barrel (no threading), and silver and black bolt handle are all now sitting in the San Jose, CA P.O. sorting facility on their way to my humble abode.

The silver scalloped Kidd bolt (which I call and changed from black, since the black ones are back-ordered until some time in July) is promised to be at Kidd's in Texas early
next month. So, I'll be eagerly awaiting that one.

The StockeysStock (Eliminator; Walnut /high-gloss) is also on its way...(in Jacksonville Fla, as I write this). As is the inexpensive soft case from Bass Pro...coming from where, I don't know.

So here I go....I'm grovelling for a few tips :

Yet to be determined in my new obsession are a few things I'd like some help on: Given that this and one other build when the $$$ works out will likely be my primary build, and I'll move stuff around
as I get my "sea legs" in the sport/obsession, does it make sense to get some of the tools I've been looking at? If so, which ones make sense? Those are: A rifle stand; that small torque wrench for the
v-block and scope mounting screws; a punch set (I only have more "monsters of each of the previous two items for automotive applications)...proprietary dead-fall hammer(s) and/or rubber mallet(s).

On the build, I'm still kicking around scope, scope mounts, and scope rings. Brand and colors. I'd like to use the rails that come with the 10/20....But it seems silly after committing all this dough to save
$35 if aftermarket are better.

As for the scope, I'm flustered. The idea for me is to target shoot as a new hobby and try to get The Boss into it, as well. Hers will be the second build when I can find or buy a receiver (to go with the rest
of the Ruger stuff I'm jettisoning) for the second build for her.

So, I know I'll have to spend some dough...but I'd like to stay under $200 if I can...If I can't, I can wait and do better....but......?????

And rests for the range? There are a ton of 'em. I'd rather ask you all than buy 'em twice.

Thanks, everyone.

As the stuff comes, I'll post pictures.

As for right now:

Last edited by magwa; 04-25-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
I'm not sure I can respond to all of your questions above, but I'll do what I can. A punch set is a good idea and you can find a good functional set at most any hardware store (and Lyman may still offer a set) -- ideally they should have a flat face rather than pointed and inclusion of a brass punch is a plus. Even better, though, is a set of gunsmith screwdrivers which are far less apt to slip from the screw head and mar your metalwork or stock. They are ground differently than conventional screwdrivers and also come in different widths and blade thicknesses to get the best fit for each screw. Chapman Manufacturing* makes many different sets; you should be able to choose one that meets your needs. I've found slotted, hex and Torx to be the most useful; Phillips not so much.

Not sure what you mean by a "rifle stand"? Maybe a gun vise? If so, Midway has a collection to choose from. I have one made from Red Oak bought many years ago that I really like, but some of the newer "plastic" versions work well too -- the Tipton versions are supposed to be good.

While I use my torque wrench (a Utica -- pretty hard to find these days) quite often for adjusting the torque on my bolt action rifles' action screws, I haven't found it nearly as useful on my 10/22 builds (I have 10 builds), though I suspect there are others here who feel differently . I rarely use my torque wrench on the V-block or scope mounting screws -- make them tight but not overly tight as your using steel screws in aluminum. If you really feel the need, the Wheeler FAT Wrench is a pretty good choice (at Midway**).

I like a rawhide mallet and have a heavy rubber mallet as well that has come in handy for "persuading" a stubborn barrel install or removal. By the way, ALWAYS (!!!) use anti-sieze on the barrel shank before install into the receiver. It will ease the install and make removal much easier in the future should you want to do that.

Re scope and mounts. I am a BIG fan of the Burris Signature rings -- ZEE for Weaver-style bases or the .22/air rifle style for 3/8" or 11mm rails. Signatures will never mar your scope tube and the various inserts offer adjustment that is not otherwise available. All my 10/22s have a Weaver/Picatinny-style base so use the Signature ZEE rings. The OE Ruger base for Weaver-style rings works fine and another reasonably priced choice is the UTG. There are many other more expensive options too.

Given what you've spent for quality KIDD components, my 2 cents says don't skimp on the optics. Decide what power you want based on the type of shooting you want to do and go for a Leupold VX-2 or VX-3. And with a rimfire, an AO is, IMHO, a must.

Re a rifle rest. You can spend A LOT of money here! BUT... again, IMO, a good choice is the Sinclair Lightweight Rest***. There are cheaper ones, but I don't think nearly as good, and there are more, some much more, expensive ones. I suspect you don't "need" one of those -- yet.

Hope that helps.

Doug

*http://www.chapmanmfg.com/Which-Kit-.html

**http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718...ProductFinding

***http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting...prod38097.aspx
Old 04-23-2014, 04:34 PM
magwa
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm not sure I can respond to all of your questions above, but I'll do what I can. ....snip... Hope that helps.
Doug, you made my day.

Thanks so much.

Magwa
Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Great optic for the money IF..IF ya can spring for $250...Mueller Eradicator.....

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id55.html

http://muelleroptics.com/wp-content/...011/04/156.jpg

I also am a huge fan of Burris Sig. Zee Rings

Last edited by Chaser; 04-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
Chaser is right about the Mueller -- the Eradicator or the APV -- depending on how much power you want. I have an APV, primarily because I wanted a "silver" scope and the Mueller was available with that finish and "good enough". Muellers are Chinese-made but good scopes for the money. Not the quality of Leupold or Nikon, but you'd likely find them more than acceptable. It's good to have choices.

Doug
Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 PM
magwa
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Chaser is right about the Mueller -- the Eradicator or the APV -- depending on how much power you want. I have an APV, primarily because I wanted a "silver" scope and the Mueller was available with that finish and "good enough". Muellers are Chinese-made but good scopes for the money. Not the quality of Leupold or Nikon, but you'd likely find them more than acceptable. It's good to have choices.

Doug
Here's the first box of parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfdUXDXTz1o

Ridiculous! This stuff makes me as giddy as a schoolboy....How come? And, pardon a rookie for naming some (or all of) the parts incorrectly.
But I'm afraid I can't make excuses for acting silly. I'm like a bald, 67 year old kid at Christmas!!!!

But, I *am* taking all your tips seriously. And, to heart. Still working on the lists from Doug, Chaser, and Mike. I ordered two scope rails from
Midway and some misc. other stuff. Total: $190...Yetch! I *am* going for a 1/4" drive torque wrench, because I need a small inch-pound for
my auto-oriented hobby work.

I want to go with nickel 1" Burris Signature rings. I have to look again to see if only the Zee's will work with the Weaver-style rail. Looks like
there are other Burris Signature rings...but I can't tell the difference yet. Looks like Midway is out of the rings. But, anyway, I don't know if I have
to decide on the scope first before I choose the height of the rings or not. Or get the stock first to see where the line-of-sight ends up. So, I guess
I'm waiting.

Also, the Seems like the hardest part in the decision process is the scope. But every buck I spend on other stuff seems to want to pull me away
from spending the dough I think I NEED TO for the optics.

I'd kinda like to buy the scope only once.

Stock will be here Monday. The silver scalloped bolt won't ship from Kidd until 5/9...or ???? 10/22 can be picked up on 5/1...Oh Boy!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Burris Sig Zee's = Weaver/Pic rails

With most any stock...these work very nicely.

Meds. = thru 40 Obj. (APV)

Highs = 50 Obj. (Erad)

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Burr.../bur420521.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/product_p/bur420531.htm
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 AM
magwa
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Burris Sig Zee's = Weaver/Pic rails

With most any stock...these work very nicely.

Meds. = thru 40 Obj. (APV)

Highs = 50 Obj. (Erad)

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Burr.../bur420521.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/product_p/bur420531.htm
Aieeee! "Pulled the trigger" on the nickel high rings and...shudder.....the Erad in matte black. Oh, my poor, poor grandkids.

Last edited by magwa; 04-25-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Ya but the bigger kids can shoot with ya

2-tones are COOL
Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM
magwa
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Ya but the bigger kids can shoot with ya

2-tones are COOL
You bet, Chaser. The kid and grandkid stuff is what it's all about.
The Two-tone should end up looking something like this:

Last edited by magwa; 04-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Magwa welcome to RFC. What's a magwa anyway? First of all there r no stupid questions. NObody is born an expert at anything. Unless yr a 16-20 year old male and they eventually see the light.

I just want to warn u that u have started this all wrong. Most guys start off their 1st build more ... uh... inexpensively. U are starting out with a great barrel & trigger. About all u can do to ensure optimal accuracy is send yr factory bolt to Que. And yes it is worth every penny! Anyway starting off this way u will never be happy with anything less. You are gonna be sooooorry!!!

And how old are those grandkids? Cause they'll all be wanting Grandpa to build them one like his. I dont have grandkids but have built some for a couple of boys I consider family. Hey...I had to after I built their Dad a left handed one ! Had a left handed knife built for him too. You not have thought about it but u are headed down this path too. Me? I'm gonna watch.....and smile.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Magwa is Grampa with a mouth full of Pizza.

Here's the Que linkie... https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/