Why is there never much about the rimfire Contender or Encores? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 AM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why is there never much about the rimfire Contender or Encores?

I've got a Contender that I've thought of getting a 22lr barrel for. Just don't see much about them.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Because this is Rimfire Central and not many seem to have them in the Rimfire calibers, don't know why, they generally shoot well.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Teep
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't seem to be a lot of us using the .22 LR barrels. I have a G2 with the 23" match barrel and it shoots exceptionally. I've shot several 1/4" groups at 50 yards but I'm just getting use to it, still waiting for a good scope. I'm presently using an old Tasco 2-7x World Class scope that has a 100 yard parallax. It also doesn't focus very well at 50 yards. If you can live with a single shot they are excellent rifles.

Garry

Last edited by Teep; 01-11-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Flynmoose
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have a 12" and 23" 22lr barrel, both with match chambers. They are both good with most ammo, great with Wolf MT. They are both bull barrels and a bit heavy for anything but the bench. Forgot to include the 23" 17 HMR, shoots like a laser!
FM

Last edited by Flynmoose; 01-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Sort of a 'crappy' pic but I use this one with the 21" factory 22 barrel quite frequently for squirrel hunting. Dunno how it would do shooting paper as all I've ever done is sight it in at about 40yds. Shoots squirrel heads regularly as long as I'm capable (not always the case ) using CCI SV, S-K Sd+, or Wolf MT. Don't like shooting at the bench; due to the break action configuration it ain't as comfortable for me to shoot as other turn bolt or autoloader guns. I have a buttstock 'sleeve' not shown, that holds a dozen rounds of 22LR ammo handy for quick reloading or follow-up shots. Makes a neat, handy woods-walking rifle...

Also have a 10" heavy barrel in 22LR & another frame which started life as a dedicated handgun, but seldom use that anymore. It shoots very well but I ain't a handgun hunter so it languishes in the vault while that frame wears a 7-30 Waters carbine barrel & I take a deer or two with it every year

Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up 10" Contender barrels

Its been my experience the match chamber barrels will shoot with or better than most rifles in the same price range. I'm also very happy with my centerfire barrels. All my TCs shoot better than I do
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Geeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The .22s are a hoot to shoot in the TCs. I have a dedicated Encore frame for the rimfire barrels. The tenders have the ability to choose rimfire or centerfire easily, but the Encore either needs a special firing pin assy, or an offset barel.

The 16-1/4" Bullberry is certainly capable of MOA accuracy.

Greg
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
TCContender
US Coast Guard Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why is there never much about the rimfire Contender or Encores?

TC Contender and Encore shooters spend more time shooting than talking. I have two 10" bull barrels and a super 14" with iron sights and a TC scoped TC custom 15" barrel, all in 22 LR, which I use on 3 different frames. I suggest you check out - http://ThompsonCenterAssociation.org/.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
jmohme

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is my 22lr.

When I go to the range, this barrel always comes with me. It is much more accurate than I am.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
22Forever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have three .22 LR barrels for my Contender -- 12" blued match, 14" SS match, and 23" stainless match. I haven't had a chance to mess around much with the 12" and 23", but the 14" is the proverbial tack-driver for me.

I'm really hoping to put the 12-incher through its paces soon, once I get an appropriate scope for it...

Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM
3six13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know about everyone else, but I just see rimfire barrels as a given and have questions about other aspects. Also, there used to be a picture thread for T/C rimfires, but it and a lot of other threads seem to have disappeared.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
When I bought my first Contender there were no bull barrels. There were no Super 14s and there were no carbines. I walked into Sportsville USA in Torrance, CA and said I wanted a 22lr Contender. The guy behind the counter was a Contender guy but he thought I was nuts. I figured it was a no brainer.

What I did not realize is that you do not by a frame and a barrel. You buy a pistol. There was not a 22lr Contender on the West Coast He told me he could get almost any of the many center fire rounds but he could not get a 22lr Contender.

Up to distributor level. Not a single Distributor had a 22lr Contender. We had to order one from T/C and they did not have any barrels. It took almost as month to get my 10" Octagon (I say octagon now but then it was just 10" or 8 3/4" all were octagon).

The following weekend my brother in law took his 9" Single Six and I took my new prize. We each took a brick of CCI Blazer and a quart of water. We took a quart of water each and parked the car at 8:00 am at the top of Tapia Canyon in the National Forest (Los Padres or Angeles I am not sure) when we got back to the car it was 4:00 PM and we had been out of water for between 2 and 3 hrs and were dehydrated

I had one box of Blazers left. I had shot 450 Blazers. One at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Larry in SD

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Actually I had shot Contender Handguns for over 20 years before I ever even thought about acquiring a Rimfire Barrel for the Contender. You see I believe I was under the same impression as a lot of other shooters whereas I could limit myself to hunting or shooting with a single shot for certain activities but when it came to rimfire I wanted a repeater.

What changed my mind was the forming of an informal Rimfire Bench Rest League at our Indoor Shooting Range. Since I regularly hunted Deer and Varmints with my Contender Handguns I quickly purchased a Super 14 .22 LR Match Contender Barrel for one of my frames. To say I was amazed at the accuracy of that Super 14 .22 LR Match Contender Barrel would be a huge understatement. No I didn't win our competition that winter but shooting against all of the guys with Rifles they knew I was there as I finished 3rd if I remember right (I finished first shooting a Custom Ruger 77/22 Rifle). For the next several years I only shot the Contender Handguns in our informal Indoor Rimfire Bench Rest League (all the rest of the competitors shot Rimfire Rifles).

I currently do not own a Contender but do have an Encore Rifle and am seriously considering getting a Rimfire Barrel for it. I've never shot a Contender or Encore in Rimfire Configuration as a Rifle and may have to give that a try.

Larry
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My 10" match barrel is very accurate with Eley ammo. It's favorite was an old case of Fiocchi Biathlon from the 1980's. I finally ran out of that stuff about 4 years ago.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Teep
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my first Contender in the early '70. I had a .22 lr., .256 Winchester Mag, and a .44 barrels. I found that when plinking with the .22 that I could go through a lot of ammunition, while everyone stopped to load their magazines I was still shooting. The gun and three barrels were stolen in '76 and I have waited until this year to purchase another Contender; what a lot of wasted years.