Thompson/Centers New .22 Classic Benchmark rifle tested in this months Gun World - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:47 PM
smoke810
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Chunckchucker

Every since I got into the debate with Brad541thb, I have been reading the posts on this forum with interest. I apologize for posting your remarks on the Marlin forum, but it fit right with a heated debate on that forum with regard to how well a Benchmark will shoot vs other guns at 50 yards. As I told Brad I have been shooting for a couple of weeks now and maintain the TC ads were BS and he took offense to my comments. My comments were not aimed at TC specifically but to any manufacturer making such claims for a light weight rifle out of the box. What kind of scope are you using on your Benchmark to shoot your groups which seem to be totally realistic.

Again, I apologize for using your post without your permission.

DG
Old 01-17-2004, 09:01 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smoke810, No apology necessary. You and I both have a right to state our opinion. Whether we agree or disagree doesn't really matter. If everybody agreed with each other on every topic, what a boring world it would be. As I stated earlier to Chunckchucker, I am more and more not believing the 10-shot group of .250 at 50 yds. myself. As I stated my 17VS doesn't shoot this well or maybe I should say I haven't been able to shoot it that well yet. I have a Outers varmint rest that I used to shoot the groups I mentioned earlier. It is pretty rock solid. On one of the 5-shot .266 c-t-c groups at 50 yds., 4 of the shots measured about .140 c-t-c. I have a Swift 6-18X44mm on it and probably could do a little bit better with a higher magnification scope and a finer crosshair. That is only a guess on my part. My trigger is probably part to blame at around 4lbs. I already worked on it to get it to 4lbs. Again this is a guess. Maybe a 2lb trigger pull would help. Anyway, maybe I shot the best groups that it is capable of. What I am trying to say is I can't see the Benchmark being more accurate than my 17VS which is the most accurate rimfire I have seen or shot. I'm not saying my Marlin 17VS can't be beat, I'm just saying I think it would take more than a Benchmark to do it. Also I would like to say that my Remington 541T-HB is a very accurate .22. But I have never shot the groups with it that I have with my Marlin 17VS. My 17VS would chew my 541 up and spit it out. There would be no, and I do mean no comparison. Brad541thb
Old 01-17-2004, 10:17 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chunckchucker, Thanks for the compliment. I think your Benchmark will do better once you get around 500 rounds through it. I hope you get a 17VS and can experience how accurate they really are. To say that they are awesome would be an understatement. You can literally hit at 50 yds. whatever you aim at regardless how small of a target. This past Monday at the rifle range I was shooting some of the the little pieces of paper that were left on the plywood with a staple in them from people pulling down their targets. I started with the ones about the size of the tip of your thumb which were too easy. I went to the smaller ones about the size of the tip of your pinky and was nailing them, too. I kidd you not. On one of the targets I shot which is a black outer circle with a dot in the center about the size of a pea or smaller than the top end of a Bic ink pen, I hit the dot with 4 of the 5 shots at 50 yds. No I didn't shoot out the dot, but there isn't much of it left either. The one that missed was maybe .001 from hitting it. It is so close it is hard to tell if it hit the dot or missed. Anyway I can't believe how accurate it is. You have got to experience it for yourself. The 17VS has spoiled me to where I may not want to shoot my 541 as much. Brad541thb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Smoke810,
I was just joshin ya about the quote. Feel free to use my posts anywhere! I use a new Weaver Tactical 4.5-14X44 scope on it. I've tried using higher magnification in the past, but being used to older Weaver k4's and k6's its almost impossible for me hold the thing still with that much magnification.

Brad 541thb,
I think the trigger would probably help a little bit. It helped out on my CZ. The 17vs is definitely on my short list. Every one I have read about or seen in person shoots that good. I agree that the Benchmark will probably get better over time. But I doubt it will ever get down to what your shooting with that 17. But, that's alright with me. I think if I can keep it to 1/2 inch I will be happy. I have a Wichester 52 that I can turn to for the really tiny groups. Chunckchucker
Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 PM
armabill
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How does the Benchmark compare to a CZ in accuracy?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:10 PM
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by armabill
How does the Benchmark compare to a CZ in accuracy?
Depending on the brand & style of ammo, about equal
Old 01-21-2004, 02:40 PM
peach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been struggling with a 10/22 in an indoor 50 ft range..I thoughty it was my shooting until last night when a gent two stations down ask if I would like to try his T/C classic...the second shot seemed to be missing from the paper until I retrieved it and saw the very slight tear just on the high side of the first shot. The third shot was not seen anywhere,so either it went thru the existing shots or off the paper ,which is highly doubtful.....

He was concerned about one aspect of the rifle. When he has been firing it a lot the bolt will not close all the way and consequently the firing pin does not striKe the shell hard enough to fire it. It seems that it (the bolt) hangs up on the small rod that supports the travel of the bolt. Is this a normal problem with this gun??
Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM
firstshot
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey everyon, I'm new to this forum and found it interesting to find this thread about the T/C 22 Classic Benchmark. I started a similar thread over on the Marlin Talk forum. It's the same thread that Smoke810 was referring to.

I had heard about T/C's new 22 Classic Benchmark, went out to their website and found this pic of two targets shot at 50 & 100 Yds. By the way, I called T/C and they said that these two targets were shot in a wind tunnel and that a gun right off the production line was used.

Looking at those two targets.......well, I just thought they were just a little too good to be true, so I posted them on Marlin Talk and asked what everyone thought. Like Smoke810 said, the targets sturred up quite a bit of debate, however, I don't think anyone that replied to that thread had actually shot one of the new Benchmarks.

It was good to hear from some of you guys that have actually been shooting the new Benchmark. I'm really interested in just how well the Benchmark can shoot, and would really appreciate it if some of you guys would post some pics of targets you've shot with this gun.

Thanks

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:11 AM
slurp3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi guys, Well, the benchmark arrived on time,and my overall opinion was that it was very well done. I've put 350 rds thru it,all rem.22 target,sv after cleaning it to start, I haven't cleaned it at all since the initial cleaning. No problems except two ftf because It didn't chamber the rounds. On inspection, I found lead overlay on the casings, ammo problem and this I'm sure of. Expecting a bear trigger pull, but wasen't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and I'm used to a 2oz trigger as on my 1813 AN. Haven't had a chance to compare ammo, and my experience with Rem. target ammo has not been very good in the past. I have shot one 25yd gr. half in", but the weather here is really bad,snow on the ground and 0 deg. the day I did it. Guess the temp.doesn't affect it much, it functioned flawlesly. My general feeling at this time, is that this rifle is starting to give me a warm fuzzy feeling I should also mention when I shot that half in" group,I wasen't using a bench, I was standing at a shooting table, sandbagged front rest, nothing but crossed arm on the butt. Was too cold for all the foldee rall. Another nor'easter coming,geeze, will it EVER stop?? I'll post again when or IF I ever dig myself out!!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Jarhead73

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
you fella's sure are well hydrated to do all that pissing!Everyone has there own opinion and gentlemen respect others right to that. So keep your peckers in your pocket and muzzles down range.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:11 PM
cobber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
t/c

jarhead 73 u still having problems with your t/c like me? i believe i read somewhere you had a problem with yours also.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Jarhead73

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe if a rifle could have a gender mine would be a women. The reason I say that is becuase it seems to have cycle similar to a women. There are times when she performs wonderfully with out any problems, And then there are the times when you want to get rid of her and look for a new. But in the end the things that make her the way she is are the reasons she's been around so long to begin with. Yeah I've sent my rifle back to the factory on more then one occasion. (for not cycling, or not going bang) But when it does cycle and go bang it works like a charm. Just the other day I went tree rat hunting and killed 7 of the little buggers. Three of them were about 45 seconds apart. This is the reason I love this gun. Two monthes ago I went hunting and pulled the trigger with the cross hairs on a rabitt and it did not fire so here we have your "classic " (get the joke)love hate relationship.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:26 PM
finebead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by D.M.MAC
I have one and the thing just shoots great . I really enjoy shooting it. It costs a little bit but its worth it to have a little fun. I mounted a bushnell elite 3200 5x15 and does everything i want it to do. Wish I could find a good aftermarket trigger though.
Check out this thread, it is all I remember seeing on triggers. Maybe you can PM baer.

https://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...threadid=28472

Good Luck, and let us know if this works out.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Ron S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

I have 2,a Classic and a Benchmark. They both shoot great! I run a small shop,and do alot of trigger work. The triggers are not that hard to tune. I have customers that have VQ's that have shot the Benchmark,and wish they had them out before they spent so much money on their VQ's. They are at the top of the heap,as far as 22 auto loaders are concerned. A little trigger work,and when you miss,you don't have to look at the gun. For 391.00 out the door,your not going to find a better deal. Ron
Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
brad541thb

I think you need to take a closer look at your 541. I have a 581 with some trigger work and the barrel shortened 4 inches with a target crown cut. it's best group is .280 with .450 being average.