Thompson/Centers New .22 Classic Benchmark rifle tested in this months Gun World - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:47 AM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Thompson/Centers New .22 Classic Benchmark rifle tested in this months Gun World

I just read in this month's issue of Gun World magazine where they tested the new Thompson/Center Classic Benchmark rifle. The article is on page 72. The author was Stan Trzoniec and he shot a 10-shot group at 50 yds. that measured .250 c-t-c with CCI Standard Velocity .22 Long Rifle loads. The picture of the group is on page 77. He was using a Burris 3-9X compact scope. He said the wind was nearly calm and the temperature was near 70 degrees. This would have been great with 5-shots but he did it with 10. Totally awesome! Just thought you Thompson guys would want to know. Brad541thb
Old 01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
D.M.MAC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one and the thing just shoots great . I really enjoy shooting it. It costs a little bit but its worth it to have a little fun. I mounted a bushnell elite 3200 5x15 and does everything i want it to do. Wish I could find a good aftermarket trigger though.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:30 PM
smoke810
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: Thompson/Centers New .22 Classic Benchmark rifle tested in this months Gun World

Who was Mr Trzoniec's witness, Bill Clinton??

DG
Quote:
Originally posted by brad541thb
I just read in this month's issue of Gun World magazine where they tested the new Thompson/Center Classic Benchmark rifle. The article is on page 72. The author was Stan Trzoniec and he shot a 10-shot group at 50 yds. that measured .250 c-t-c with CCI Standard Velocity .22 Long Rifle loads. The picture of the group is on page 77. He was using a Burris 3-9X compact scope. He said the wind was nearly calm and the temperature was near 70 degrees. This would have been great with 5-shots but he did it with 10. Totally awesome! Just thought you Thompson guys would want to know. Brad541thb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smoke810, I just told it like the guy said it, and I believe what he said is the truth. If you ever shoot a group like that, would you want somebody to say that to you? You can believe it or not. That's your choice, and I respect that. Do you own a Benchmark or have you ever shot one? I don't, but from what I hear from others and what I saw in this article, the Benchmark Classic will drive tacks at 50 yds. with the CCI ammo. You can read it if you like in Gun World magazine. I doubt if many Anschutz's or Cooper's or any other custom made rifle could do this feat of 10-shots of .250 c-t-c at 50 yds outdoors. And he did it with the cheaper CCI ammo. But the gun apparently likes that ammo. Brad541thb
Old 01-13-2004, 09:26 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smoke810 To get a .250 group c-t-c would mean that the largest measurement of the group outside to outside would be .470. Subtract the .220 for your bullet diameter and your c-t-c would be .250. Brad541thb
Old 01-13-2004, 09:36 PM
smoke810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brad

I know that for crying outloud. Thats still putting 10 rounds in one hole. I will ask you one question, tell me when and where a Thompson Center Benchmark won a sanctioned ARA match anywhere in the United States?? Coming in second doesn't count.

DG
Quote:
smoke810 To get a .250 group c-t-c would mean that the largest measurement of the group outside to outside would be .470. Subtract the .220 for your bullet diameter and your c-t-c would be .250. Brad541thb
Old 01-13-2004, 09:52 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smoke810, I don't know anything about ARA, but what I do know that the Thompson Benchmark is a shooter straight out of the box and at a reasonable price. Brad541thb
Old 01-13-2004, 10:03 PM
smoke810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heh Brad

They are fine quality rifles, no one is suggesting otherwise. If that is a guy's cup of tea, go for it. The ARA shoots benchrest rifles for "Money". To my knowledge, no one shoots a Benchmark, and if it will shoot 10 shot groups in a 1/2" hole consistantly at 50 yards, you would see at least one on the circuit.

You mentioned the Anschutz, you might do some checking and see how many events they have won the last few years.

Do a google search for ARA (American Rifle Association) and you find results for matches all over the country and what won the events.

DG

Quote:
smoke810, I don't know anything about ARA, but what I do know that the Thompson Benchmark is a shooter straight out of the box and at a reasonable price. Brad541thb
Old 01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
ycplum

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Benchmark was New for 2003. Maybe word hasn't gotten around yet. Not familiar with the ARA matches, but do they have a weight limit? The Benchmark is not a sporter, it is pretty heavy for a .22. With a 4x-12x scope, my benchmark is probably over 8.5 lbs.

At 25 yards ( the limit for the indoor range I go to - especially with the weather we have been having ), I get a ragged hole (about .3" -.4") with 10 shots with the rifle resting on a cardboard ammo box. I believe that the only reason it is a ragged hole instead of single hole is me. I can see my movement in my 12x scope before I pull the trigger. I can readily believe a bench-rested, 10-shot, .25" grouping by a shooter better than me (which is probably 90% of the people in this forum ).
Old 01-16-2004, 05:15 PM
slurp3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

ok guys, I did it! benchmark will be here by Tuesday. Now all I have to figure out is how to get a half way workable trigger out of it, assuming it will fire!!! Had to try it,if the groups are as good as everyone says, I figure some guru will come up with a trigger that works well,and if it doesn't fire reliably I'll let T C worry about it, if I have to return it a dozen times. Its got to be better than all the time and expense of redoing my 10/22 sporter to get rid of the first shot flyers etc. I'll post the results. Maybe I should change my name to guinea pig Bill!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Benchmark

I bought my Benchmark about a month ago, and it's been out twice. So far, I'm not that impressed with the accuracy, and I've tried just about everything in it. Gonna give it another try this weekend. As for the .25 group at 50 yards for ten shots, I think that is a stretch. Remember, Mr. Trzoniec gets paid to write good things about guns, and I think this article is no exception. In fact, I've never seen a new gun review from any gun rag that didn't shower the gun with accolades. The rifle is very well built and the finish is great. I just haven't been able to come close to that kind of accuracy with mine. Chunck
Old 01-16-2004, 10:00 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chunckchucker, In my experience over the years, the guys who do these reviews on new guns pretty much tell it like it is. Sure, I have seen them give rave reviews on a lot of guns. But I have seen them rip a lot of the guns that they review to shreads. For example, if they were to review a Savage bolt-action 110. They would tell you that the trigger was down right terrible breaking at 6lbs. The bolt has a lot of side-by-side play when operating it. But the price for the gun when compared to a Remington or Ruger was good even though the Savage lacked some of better quality features that the higher priced guns had. They would also go in to detail that the Savage was an excellent shooter and tell you what the guns average 3-shot group was at 100yds. All in all they pretty much told you what they liked and disliked. I'm sure there have been writers in the past that have twisted the tuth about a particular gun, especially if they got to keep the gun after they were done. But for the most part they have a reputation to hold and as the old saying goes " You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time" is pretty well how they look at it when they do a review. As for as your gun not shooting so well, maybe you should contact Thompson/Center and tell them about your gun and how you are having accuracy problems. I'm sure they would take a look at it. Especially, if it is still under warranty they would have to fix it at no charge. Brad541thb
Old 01-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Brad541thb,

I believe I read the same article on the Savage 110. I have read articles that I thought to be truthful and accurate, and I enjoyed them. But, I believe half of all the articles I have read are nothing but bunk. For example, I have always enjoyed Clair Rees reviews in the past, but his article in this months Rifle magazine(I think) has left me scratching my head. He puts the 22 WMR against the 17 HMR and proceeds to try and shoot both rounds at over 200 yards on praire dogs just because he has Shepard scopes on the rifles. Not only is this too far to really test the downrange effectiveness of these rounds, he tries to do it in a heavy wind. Doesn't work. So then he spats off a bunch of crap about how the rounds work out through a computer progam. Starts losing credibility extremely fast as he epells the virtues of the 17 over the 22. The irony is he doesn't even know how well each does, because he coundn't keep the wind from knocking the bullets off course from both rounds. He trusts the computer program to tell him how much better the 17 is over the 22 mag. For a good read, I really enjoy Mike Venturino's articles about vintage arms. He has no reason to fudge on his experiences simple because advertising dollars are not tied up trying to sell rifles that are decades old. Yes, sometimes they complain over how crappy the trigger is, how the finish is not up to snuff, and the like. But have you ever noticed that when they do shoot the rifle, they always shoot little bitty groups, no matter how bad the trigger was, how rough the bore looked, they always shoot great. Kind of makes you think. Chunck
Old 01-16-2004, 11:57 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chunckchucker, I will agree with you on that. Some of these guys don't always use common sense. Also, I would like to mention that when Mr. Trzoniec did the review on the Benchmark, the other ammo they shot through it didn't fare as well. They all grouped 3/4" to slightly over an inch. I will have to admit that .250 group was one heck of a group. My 541T-HB best c-t-c 5-shot group was .375. at 50 yds with the Eley Tenex eps. I will have to admit that 10 shots at 50 yds. that measured .250 c-t-c is pretty hard to believe for most people. The more I think about it, the harder it gets for me to continue to believe it. My Marlin 17VS that I got for Christmas doesn't shoot that good and it will flat out hit thumbtacks at 50 yds. I shot several 5-shot groups this past Monday at 50 yds. that measured c-t-c .266, .266, .266, .281, .281, .281, .281, .297, .297. Now these were my best groups. And this is the most accurate rimfire I have ever owned or shot. Hornady ammo by the way. Now these were all 5-shot groups. I would hate to have to try 10-shot groups and do this. So in other words for the Benchmark to shoot .250 makes me reconsider what I originally thought to be true to maybe and I would like to have been there when he done that .250 c-t-c 10-shot group. Brad541thb
Old 01-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Brad541thb, I shot my Benchmark again this morning. 5 shot groups at 50 yards averaged a little over 1/2 inch. Some came pretty close to 1/4 inch. Some were 3/4 inch. I used Wolf MT. It shot better today than before, but just for fun I tried the 10 shot test, and came up with one 3/4 inch, and one 1 inch group. I have tried the Eley tenex in it before and it averaged over 1 inch at 50 yards. I believe the groups you are getting with the 17vs are amazing. Every one I have seen shoots that way. What I find interesting is this; find all the articles on the Benchmark, and all the articles on the 17vs, and compare the accuracy that the writer is getting from each. From everything I have read on RFC, the 17's just drive tacks. But to read the articles in the rags, the Benchmark will stomp any 17 thats out there. I find that hard to believe. I like the Benchmark, and it seems to be shooting better as I put more rounds through it. Maybe if they were to put a more believable group on there I wouldn't be so doubtful. I do believe I need to talk to Mrs. Chucker and convince her how I need a 17vs to complete( ) my accuracy tests. Chunckchucker