Reliable Extraction & Ejection? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 PM
toxo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I think I'll pass on that Larry. I would find it impossible to have a meaningful conversation with someone who quotes the US constitution every chance he gets.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Innovative
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have listed many other important quotes . . . .

toxo . . . .
Most of those quotes are from famous American politicians and leaders from all over the world. Very interesting information . . . . especially for fellow shooters.

I have encountered way too many well intentioned (and misinformed) Americans who are perfectly willing to give away the freedoms that good men have fought and died for.

http://www.larrywillis.com/quotes.html

Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
This thread's starting to get political which isn't allowed on RFC. Can we please get back on the topic of Reliable Extraction & Ejection?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM
ouc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ejection Issues Fixed?

Can anyone confirm if the ejection issues are fixed in new recent purchases?

thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:59 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
This thread's starting to get political which isn't allowed on RFC. Can we please get back on the topic of Reliable Extraction & Ejection?
I'll second the motion......if it was a motion.....

So, here's my effort and getting back on track...

I have two 1710's, two 1712's, a '63 model 1411, and a 50's 1420. ALL (as in 100% of the guns) suffer from unreliable ejection - with some guns, this occurs over 50% of the time. This clearly is not a problem confined to the 1700 series. Since I mostly shoot them off the bench, I have put up with this until now, but I have decided I'm going to read back through all this and see if I can figure out how to correct the issue. With my guns, it is not due to the ejected case hitting the ejection port. I've carefully studied how the empties are ejected and in most cases they either fly up, hit the bottom of the scope and drop back down or else simply pop out, perhaps spin around, and drop onto the top of the magazine. I think I am going to place an order for spare extractors, ejectors, and retainers, and start doing some modifying.

In all fairness, Steve at ANA offered to repair the bolt on my 1712 if I would send it in. But I am reluctant to ship a bolt off.....I've had too many issues with local shippers in losing stuff or having to chase it all over the the place to locate it.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 AM
david_root2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think this is news.

I have 3 64 actions.

The 64MS single shot always ejects.

A newer 1416 HB that had sluggish ejection. I did the fix, it is fine now.

A brand new MP R. It had sluggish ejection doing exactly what Pump 22 above said. I did the fix and it was better.

Next I tried different bolts in different guns. All worked the same.

I shoot sporter rifle that requires load ONE at a time. Leave the magazine out and ejection is awesome on either one. As good as any other rifle, it even throws the empty into the next shooting station.

This is with both repeaters, no matter which bolt is used and has been fine with my 64 MS because it takes no magazine.

SO try with out a magazine and see if there is a difference.

David
Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine....no magazine.....makes no difference with my guns. All will eject unfired rounds....empties are the issue.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Sir Ville

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That was the exact problem on my 1710. After some fancy filing and polishing according to the advice given in this thread the problem went away.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Innovative
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Anschutz 1700 would extract cases fine. However, it failed to eject them out of the ejection port. I opened up the lower section of the ejection port, and now it throws empty cases about 5 feet out the side, and it doesn't matter if you are working the bolt quickly or very slowly.

Before this modification, empty cases would just bounce back into the action, spin around, and lay there. I tried all of the other less invasive fixes, and nothing else solved the problem 100%. At best the empties would just dribble out the side. This is a great rifle. Take the time to fix it right.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:23 AM
DJMHOYT

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So far - so good on extraction and ejection with my new 1710 GRS Hybrid, I will confirm as elsewhere - the magazines are junk, I did install the TREKKER parts and that fixed that, the extraction and ejection issue would most certainly seem to be solved - at least in my rifle !The ejection is only a problem if the bolt is withdrawn casually - a normal smart bolt throw will toss shells with authority, so far ELEY Target, Federal Ultra Match, some ancient PMC, and for a quick comparison, Federal Auto Match, respectfully submitted; Dave
Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I may have solved the issue on my 1710 DKL. Friday, I took the gun out to the shop, fired to get some empties, and hand loaded and slowly ejected those over and over to see if I could discern anything about the problem. I finally did two things:

1) I took some material off along the inside edge of the retainer to allow it close in a little more to give a bit tighter grip on the case head.

2) I beveled off the bottom inside edge of the part of the retainer that passes over the case rim.....my thinking was that when the case was finally pushed free of the retainer when working the bolt, this shape would tend to flip the case a little upwards and to the right.

Whether my thinking was correct or not, I did a good bit of shooting off the bench with the gun yesterday while tuning up for an upcoming match. No failures to eject. So (cross fingers, knock on wood, etc.) perhaps I may have solved the issue for that gun. Prior to this effort at fixing things, I was getting about 30 - 40% failures to eject.

I will try this next on a 1710 DHB to see if works with it.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:37 AM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Reliable Extraction & Ejection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxo View Post
I think I'll pass on that Larry. I would find it impossible to have a meaningful conversation with someone who quotes the US constitution every chance he gets.

I personally glad he does.

To many people don't know what's in it or what it actually means.

The first five amendments of the constitution are as relevant today as they were 250 years ago. Main stream media and the lefties also try to get away with saying the writers meant it a different way than its written.

Biggest problem is no one ever bothers to quote the framers or read the papers and writings that explains in their own words that detail exactly what the amendments mean, how it's supposed to work, what rights it actually protects.

Read Jeffersons papers on what each amendment means according to him. It's an eye opener compared to conventional thinking/wisdom on the opinions and of the constitution.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 03-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:43 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After fixing the DKL, tried "fixing" three more guns using the same techniques. First on a 1710 DHB, then a pair of 1712s. So far so good. As soon as the weather cooperates (as in wind not blowing 15 - 20 mph, I'll get out to the bench and see if indeed I have solved my issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
After fixing the DKL, tried "fixing" three more guns using the same techniques. First on a 1710 DHB, then a pair of 1712s. So far so good. As soon as the weather cooperates (as in wind not blowing 15 - 20 mph, I'll get out to the bench and see if indeed I have solved my issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.
James,

Glad it worked for you. You shouldn't have any issues as to getting these things flinging spent cases where you want them to go. And on some guns, it only takes a few minutes to get it right. Others take a bit of tweaking IME.

I know what I did is not the accepted method. But, after two trips back to the factory, figured why couldn't a redneck from the mountains fix the darn thing? After all, I do have a grinder and a hack saw...

I do know that after several years of use, my 1712 still ejects spent shells perfectly. Can pull the bolt back with my fingertip and it kicks the shell out with authority.

Hope the rest of your "stable" perform as well after the mods.

Kenny
Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Kenny. Like you, I also have a hacksaw and grinder....along with a good assortment of hammers and a good cutting torch.....along with few rolls of baling wire and duct tape. Sooner or later, they will cry "Uncle" if they aren't fixed already.

Time will tell if I actually have them working properly. Still have that 1420 to fix and the 1411 but no hurry. Better make sure the others are working properly.....too many irons in the fire and all that.