Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Paper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The extractor claw grabs the rim as the action is closed, on the unfired round.

Pretend there's a round in this photo and you'll see what you might be missing..

The extractor goes around the base and as it come back in (spring tension) the extractor contacts the outside of the chamber.

While it's contacting the chamber with a round in the weapon, it's even worse when the action comes forward on a chamber without a round in it.

The clearance eliminates the contact, with or without the round in it.

The rifle I used when I did this work is exactly the same as it was before the work.. No chip and zero failures to extract.

I've fired CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches, Barnyard Matches, killed squirrels and gone through well over 1000 rounds since I did the work without any changes or FTE.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM
josey88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can it be that some guns have the specs wacked a little by a factory error , somehow ? my benchmark has a shiny spot on the chamber`s hole where the extractor touches and slides in . No chips or anything , just the shiny polishing evidence as a result of the extractor friction sliding it .
The extractor showed also no signs of hitting anything . I polished the outside edge of the extractor head and assembled it back in , anyway to make it even more slippery .
Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I've never held or looked at a Benchmark, so maybe it was resolved with that model?

I have 3 Classics and they're all the same. One is chipped, but it was also well used when I got it.. The other two were where I got lucky.. One was barely used, and the other was basically new.

The barely used one was the first that I did, and that first photo is of it. The other one was the one I used when I did the write up and both look like they did when I took photos.

Again, maybe the Benchmark model was slightly revised to eliminate the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
josey88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My problem is that I just cannot grasp why the extractor is hitting and chipping the chamber ... (?)
The extractor moves sideways because of spring force , so if it touches the chamber it will slide sideways up following the contour of the chamber hole .
So I cannot understand how it will collide with the chamber like if it was a fixed screw on front of the bolt .
Unless the extractor is installed in such direct way that it would not have enough angle to slide sideways ... that will be a factory design defect , but then the gun would not function .
I am trying to visualize the problem ... I guess I am getting thicker with age
One thing ... the extractor on my Benchmark hits the chamber`s hole exactly at the center of its opening ... perhaps the position of the barrel is out of whack a little bit ? just a little bit will do to cause headaches .

Last edited by josey88; 12-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After the hook clears the base of the .22 round, it travels inwards, towards the chamber and the outside edge of the chamber is what stops this inward travel.

Trimming the hook stops this contact..

I can't make you see it, but as I watch it with my own weapon, it's plain as day.

The extractor travels outward as it contacts the base of the round, travels past the base, and once clear of the rim, travels inward until it stops. The stop on a stock rifle is the little wedge shaped base of the chamber. A modified extractor doesn't allow this contact.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
One thing ... the extractor on my Benchmark hits the chamber`s hole exactly at the center of its opening ...
Exactly same on the Classic..
The chamber in this area is very thin because of the wedge shape. It comes to a point and it's radius-ed on the outside of the chamber.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Darken the extractor with a Sharpie and then cycle it a few times. Then look closely at the extractor and you should see exactly what part of the extractor is hitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM
josey88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I am glad I don`t have that problem on this rifle .
The wedged shape base on the chamber has a very polished , shiny surface , so the extractor runs over it easily . I cooperated even more with this function and , as I said previoulsly , I also polished the extractor head`s top edge so it will run even more smoothly and have even less friction . I can check the improvement on the low , softer fluid click the extractor makes when I close the bolt slowly ... it tells me that it is functioning perfectly .
I.

Last edited by josey88; 12-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The R-55 was reportedly developed to eliminate the 'chamber chipping' problem of the original T-C 22 Classic (just one reason of many for the R-55's introduction). The R-55 has a different bolt guide/return mechanism than the Classic. Don't know if the extractor design or extractor cut out is different?? Many (most?) original T-C Classics were plagued with the chamber chipping & T-C would take them back in exchange for the owner's choice of a TC firearm. The R-55 supposedly solved that problem but over the last few years it appears that some of the R-55 rifles are also subject to chipping. Since T-C is now owned by Smith & Wesson they have developed a 'repair' for the chipping which apparently involves slightly 'beveling' the area where the chip develops (S&W at first offered an exchange of one of their M&P 22s but that didn't last long). Some T-C owners have expressed doubt that the S&W 'cure' provides enough support for the cartridge case/rim but I believe that many rimfires provide even less support with no adverse effects evident. I have a fairly early T-C 22 Classic (SN 91XX) that I've owned since it was nearly new. Have used it pretty extensively (probably more'n 1K rounds fired) & it has the 'shiny' spot but no chip. I've considered doing Paper's extractor mod but have thus far decided to not fix something that ain't broke. I do keep a close eye on it & will do the mod if the spot grows or a chip begins to develop. Mine is one of several that I know of either personally or have read about, that hasn't developed the chip after extensive firing...

Last edited by Nobody; 12-08-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM
josey88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
The R-55 was reportedly developed to eliminate the 'chamber chipping' problem of the original T-C 22 Classic (just one reason of many for the R-55's introduction). The R-55 has a different bolt guide/return mechanism than the Classic. Don't know if the extractor design or extractor cut out is different?? Many (most?) original T-C Classics were plagued with the chamber chipping & T-C would take them back in exchange for the owner's choice of a TC firearm. The R-55 supposedly solved that problem but over the last few years it appears that some of the R-55 rifles are also subject to chipping. Since T-C is now owned by Smith & Wesson they have developed a 'repair' for the chipping which apparently involves slightly 'beveling' the area where the chip develops (S&W at first offered an exchange of one of their M&P 22s but that didn't last long). Some T-C owners have expressed doubt that the S&W 'cure' provides enough support for the cartridge case/rim but I believe that many rimfires provide even less support with no adverse effects evident. I have a fairly early T-C 22 Classic (SN 91XX) that I've owned since it was nearly new. Have used it pretty extensively (probably more'n 1K rounds fired) & it has the 'shiny' spot but no chip. I've considered doing Paper's extractor mod but have thus far decided to not fix something that ain't broke. I do keep a close eye on it & will do the mod if the spot grows or a chip begins to develop. Mine is one of several that I know of either personally or have read about, that hasn't developed the chip after extensive firing...
A very good explanation . I guess it is the wrong angle on the machined surface of the wedged shape chamber ... a design fault , alright .
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Nobody mine took probably 8000 or more rounds before the leading edge chipped. I thought I had gotten lucky.

The rifle is so stunningly accurate I decided not to send it to T/C and definitely not to S&W. I have been so busy with SuperStock that I have not done the repaior and just semi retired the rifle for now but I will fix it.

I shot one year of RFC USBR with the rifle and finished 2nd place every month in Sporter Box Stock. Danny Creasy beat me every month but that was my first experience with shooting for score and he is very experienced and he told me the CZ American he shot was the best CZ he had shot. The T/C beat a bunch of CZs and Remington 541s and such. The rifle did that well not me because I was just learning.

During thew same period the T/C won it's class at Camp Perry either 3 or 4 years shooting against the bolt actions. These are amazing little rifles.

When I brought it to our golf ball shoots out in the Mojave Desert my friends accused me of cheating We would shoot 500 rounds a day for 4 days straight.

At 1K rounds yours is barely broken in

Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Nobody mine took probably 8000 or more rounds before the leading edge chipped. I thought I had gotten lucky.

The rifle is so stunningly accurate I decided not to send it to T/C and definitely not to S&W. I have been so busy with SuperStock that I have not done the repaior and just semi retired the rifle for now but I will fix it.

I shot one year of RFC USBR with the rifle and finished 2nd place every month in Sporter Box Stock. Danny Creasy beat me every month but that was my first experience with shooting for score and he is very experienced and he told me the CZ American he shot was the best CZ he had shot. The T/C beat a bunch of CZs and Remington 541s and such. The rifle did that well not me because I was just learning.

During thew same period the T/C won it's class at Camp Perry either 3 or 4 years shooting against the bolt actions. These are amazing little rifles.

When I brought it to our golf ball shoots out in the Mojave Desert my friends accused me of cheating We would shoot 500 rounds a day for 4 days straight.

At 1K rounds yours is barely broken in
Yeah Vincent, I realize that 1K rounds ain't a lot for many rifles. I'm fortunate to have quite a # of rimfires (more'n 40, last count) & most of 'em get used with some regularity so a thousand rounds thru a hunting (mostly) rifle is a lot for me. I've no idea how many rounds the original owner fired through the T-C Classic before I got it (at about a year old). He said it didn't shoot to suit him, & he'd removed the factory 'fiber optic' sights in favor of a scope (which is also my preference - danged old age ). I guess his standards were much higher than mine since it shoots waaay better'n I can on most days. After initial sighting-in & ammo testing I've used it for nothing but squirrel hunting, & I can't remember a 'miss' at any reasonable (40yds or less) distance while using it. It doesn't get 'to the woods' much anymore but I do get it out occasionally. I probably won't do the extractor mod unless a 'chip' develops but I'm glad Paper did the mod & started this thread, so the option is there if needed ).

One thing I have learned about these rifles (& I'd think the R-55) is they seem to 'run' much better with regular frequent action cleaning (I try to do mine every couple hundred rounds or so). Probably not as necessary with 'high volume' daily shooting???
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
josey88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I decided to dig a little bit into it , and turns out that the Classic has an entirely different system ... incredibly different , parts and everything .
Now I understand why it is possible that the extractor may hit the chamber`s face.
My R55 Benchmark is completely different and way simpler .
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 AM
dognit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
R-55 All Weather extractor

Hello all,

Since they no longer make this model does anyone know how I can get another extractor ? It appears I have taken too much of the existing extractor in an attempt to take enough off to keep from hitting the barrel.

Thought I was being extremely careful not to take to much at a time. Took a little off then put it back in several times. I even had a spent .22 LR cartridge in the barrel to make sure it would extract a round after filing it down each time.

Low and behold when reassembled it will not extract a round now. So basically
I have a great one shot semi auto .22 LR.......GO FIGURE

Anyone have any ideas. I have contacted Thompson Centerfire but so far not heard back from them.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognit View Post
Hello all,

Since they no longer make this model does anyone know how I can get another extractor ? It appears I have taken too much of the existing extractor in an attempt to take enough off to keep from hitting the barrel.

Thought I was being extremely careful not to take to much at a time. Took a little off then put it back in several times. I even had a spent .22 LR cartridge in the barrel to make sure it would extract a round after filing it down each time.

Low and behold when reassembled it will not extract a round now. So basically
I have a great one shot semi auto .22 LR.......GO FIGURE

Anyone have any ideas. I have contacted Thompson Centerfire but so far not heard back from them.
Did you do this statically or did you fire the rifle? When actually shooting the extractor does NOT extract the case. The powder gases extract the case. I have shot 10/22s with no extractor at all in them and they ran great with most ammo.

The extractor serves two purposes on a blow back action like a Classic. First it extracts unfired rounds. Secondly it holds the case in the proper position on the face of the bolt for the ejector to eject the case.

If you have not tried shooting it yet try that.

Last edited by Vincent; 12-17-2013 at 11:18 PM.