Winchester and Browning 52 Re-issue database - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
kixonrt66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Browning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMiller0737 View Post
Here is the info on Mine
Browning
S/N 00089NZ496
Satin Finished Stock
Pencil Barrel
Purchased New when they 1st came out, My Dealer used to get Serial # 89 on all the Limited Edition Brownings I also have the Model 12 28ga #89
Wow! Nice EARLY rifle! Cool!

Kix
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Provincial

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It may be early to make this assumption, but I see a trend where the early Brownings have satin finish on the stock.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Satin finish on Browning 52's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provincial View Post
It may be early to make this assumption, but I see a trend where the early Brownings have satin finish on the stock.
Every one I have ever seen has a satin finish. Has anyone ever seen a gloss finished Browning 52 re-issue?

Kix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would you call these two glossy - one low SN and one high?
Browning SN00289
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=260625350

Browning SN03658
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=260698765

The checkering definitely stands out versus the rest of the stock. These two match my second Browning (SN 049XX). My first Browning (SN 018XX; the banana peel that started me down this slippery slope) is more satiny and the checkering does not contrast nearly as much.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM
H. M. Pope
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Guys,
Wouldn't the 496 Product Code in the serial number tell you that it should be a Standard Barrel with a Satin Stock.
H M P
Old 11-13-2011, 11:49 PM
3Dub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They must use something other than the "496" to distinguish satin finish from glossy.
Mine were both bought used in the past 2 years, no boxes or papers.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Glossy vs Satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
Would you call these two glossy - one low SN and one high?
Browning SN00289
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=260625350

Browning SN03658
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=260698765

The checkering definitely stands out versus the rest of the stock. These two match my second Browning (SN 049XX). My first Browning (SN 018XX; the banana peel that started me down this slippery slope) is more satiny and the checkering does not contrast nearly as much.
Hello 3Dub,
I don't think so. Those rifles have the same finish as my Browning. Check it out:

I think the flash photography makes it look more glossy than it actually is. Like these flash images of one of my Winchester marked rifles, take a look:

Both of these rifles have "Satin" or semi-gloss finishes. Compare these to the HB I recently won on GB seen here with a true glossy finish:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=258030358

Has anyone seen or own a Browning variant with a finish like this?

Kix
Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Well, here's mine that I'm calling satin:
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Satin Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Well, here's mine that I'm calling satin:
gewehrfreund,

Great looking rifle and I agree, I would call it a satin finish. Your rifle has especially nice wood, some better pictrues would be nice when you get a chance. What kind of scope is that? Is it a vintage Redfield? Also, I am assuming that your front sight is an aftermarket item, correct?

Thanks!

Kix
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM
H. M. Pope

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks Satin to me, does any one know what the "BS" stands for in the serial number. I know the Browning and the Winchester serial number letter code but I'm not familiar with the "BS" code.
H M P
Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
BS code

The BS code was simply one of the various product codes used by USRAC during the manufacturing run of this model. I have always thought it stood for a model "B" Sporter, but that just a guess. It is my understanding that the BS prefix rifles were made prior to the Browning code Winchester rifles. The Browning marked rifles were made first, most if not all of them in 1992. Then the BS prefix Winchester marked rifles, then the Winchester marked rifles with the Browning code in the SN. If this is not correct, please post the correct order of manufacture.

Kix
Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
H. M. Pope

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Kix,
The info I had was that the Brownings were made first in 1991 and 1992 using the serial number code, then the Winchesters were made from 1993 to 1998, also using the serial number code. I never knew about the BS code Winchesters, do you know the product code for the BS 52's or was BS the product order code ?.
I guess they must have been made in the 1992-1993 range right ?.
Any Idea how many BS Winchesters were made ?.
H M P

Last edited by H. M. Pope; 11-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Product Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. M. Pope View Post
Hi Kix,
The info I had was that the Brownings were made first in 1991 and 1992 using the serial number code, then the Winchesters were made from 1993 to 1998, also using the serial number code. I never knew about the BS code Winchesters, do you know the product code for the BS 52's or was BS the product order code ?.
I guess they must have been made in the 1992-1993 range right ?.
Any Idea how many BS Winchesters were made ?.
H M P
I'm not sure of the exact years of manufacture, but that seems to me the general order of things. I'm still unsure as to how and when the other specialty rifles fit in to this time frame. The Zander's heavy barrels, the Fajen Stocked rifles and the Utah Centennial Rifles. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? I have this wonderful data from a previous thread on this subject:

Kix; you're in for another fun ride if you start collecting these (maybe "accumulating") is a more accurate term.
Six (6) different versions of this 2nd generation (or "repro" as some call them) 52 sporter were produced depending on how you define it.
By my count, they are as follows;
1)st version was the Ltd. production marked "Browning", already in production the year "Winchester" was purchased by the owners' of Browning, thus setting the stage for the next production run with "Winchester" stamps. This Browning is a 52 C wearing the high-combed C stock.
2)nd version "Winchester"; this was introduced as a limited edition with total numbers of production unclear. This is a C sporter but wearing the more conservative, lower-combed "B" stock.
3)rd version "Winchester" stamped "Utah Centennial"; this is a special run of the above listed Winchester 52 but with rollmarks honoring the State of Utah's Centennial. Otherwise identical to the remainder of the Winchester 52 C production run.
4)th version the super-rare "Fajen"-stocked Winchester 52 C sporter, wearing the racy, fiddle-back maple stock. This was produced in extremely low numbers (less than 50 total?) for the S.H.O.T. show, along with a series of 4 similarly-stocked other Winchester rifles. So there was a set of 5 Winchesters all wearing the same semi-custom Fajen stock, with this M 52 being one of the set of 5. The serial numbers were all the same within the set. Finding, and acquiring one of these Fajen rifles without buying the set of 5 Winchesters is nearly impossible and is a $$ venture.
5)th version is limited to 250 rifles (at the most) commissioned by Zander's Sporting Goods from the regular production run of the Winchester 52 Cs. This Zander's rifle has a heavier, tapered barrel than the standard sporter. The muzzle is counter-bored and the receiver is grooved for dovetailed scope mounts. This is a high-gloss stock in the same configuration that the regular run of Winchester 52 C sporters wore.
6)th is the same as above, 250 rifles (at the most) but wearing a satin finished stock.
This completes all the versions of the second generation or "reproduction" 52 C sporters produced. There were actually two separate runs of the "Ltd." production Winchester 52 C but they are identical in appearance, distinguishable only by serial numbers, I believe.
I owned an original C sporter but wouldn't carry it into the squirrel woods. It was pristine. So I had the C lt. target rifle wearing a custom American black walnut stock "sporterized" and carried it into the squirrel woods for decades. This rifle is visible in another thread on this board.
But, had ANY of the above sporters been available "back in the day" I would have bought and carried one of them into the woods without hesitation. And my custom 52 I had sporterized wouldn't exist (by the way, the rifle was already a "chopped" rifle when I first acquired it).
So Kix, have fun, there are the above six (6) reproductions out there to be tracked down and had (for a price). Incidentally, each of these rifles have the version designated in some way on the box, naming which rifle it is. In some cases it is only an adhesive bar code type label with the version also named in print.

Kix

Last edited by kixonrt66; 11-14-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM
AZ_Abert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The BS S/N prefix appears on the first run of rifles made with the Winchester marque.

Winchester first cataloged the sporter repro in 1993. The rifle used in the 1993 catalog photos had the Browning style S/N. The catalog indicated that production was limited to 5 or 6K

Ordered mine prepaid from a wholesaler in March 1993 and it arrived at my FFL in December of that year with a BS prefix SN.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Data Base Info

OK Kix; I'll bite.

1. Winchester 52B #BS2236 is a satin finish gun with forearm tensioning screw and the standard pencil barrel. It was purchased used in 2011 without a box. It has the B style stock. I am not sure when it was manufactured; but probably pretty early; like 93-94 or so.

2. Wichester 52B, #10NR800335 is a satin finish gun with forearm tensioning screw and the standard pencil barrel in the standard B stock. It was manufactured in 97 and I bought the gun new in box in 97 and an extra magazine for $515.00.

3. Winchester 52B, #10NP800279 is the Fajen maple fiddleback that has a completelly different stock configuration and checkering than the standard Winchester B or Browning C stocks. The Fajen has a much higher and more pronounced monte carlo and a fuller more rounded forearm. The finish is high gloss all the way!! The gun has a std. pencil barrel. The gun was made in 1998 and I bought it with box and papers in 2003. $500.00 well spent!

4. Browning 52B, #04829NZ496 is the C style satin finish stock (I think) without forearm tensioning screw. The gun has the std. pencil barrel. This one was made in 91 and I bought it with box and papers in 2011.

5. Winch. 52B, #100UT0402 is a Utah Centennial with forearm tensioning screw into a std. pencil barrel. The gun was bought as New Old Stock in 2011.

6. Wichester 52B Heavy Barrel: Working on buying it slowly. It is a satin finish gun that needs a better home; like my house!

By the way, Kix; you really need 3Dub to bird-dog you a Fajen!!!! He is "ever-watchful" for those maple goodies!