Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT HERE...

But good shooting Swiss.

I am fond of SK magazine myself. If I could get it for $50/can whenever I want it (like before ) that is just about all I would ever buy.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With regard to the shooting table:

I now have what I think is the BEST portable, folding shooting table ever.

The range I go to has concrete benches on the main range and welded, steel tubing-framed, and the tops are typical 2x6 planks bolted to the frame for the small bore and air rifle competitions. The 2x6s are the new fangled ones with press-board core and poly something exterior in the faux rough-sawn finish.

Both ranges have concrete slab floors.

I HATE the concrete benches because I cannot sit 'behind' the rig due to the rear cinder-block wall supporting the slab top. I cannot stand bending over sideways to shoot.

The other benches are very heavy. And the legs pattern is triangle which allows shooter sit beside or behind. Much better.

EXCEPT that the framed-planked benches, which are VERY stiff and perpendicular NEVER fail to be rickety. One has to bring his own wedges to shore them up. Besides that, the FLEX laterally really, really bad. In ARA matches you MUST use the same benches as the rest of the flock. However, for practice, the range benches can be moved aside. I bring my own.

Mine consists of two folding plastic saw-horses. The GOOD kind. Eight legs that will all splay and conform to the ground be it imperfect concrete or dirt in the field.

That is fine and they are incredibly stable.

Last year I was using a single piece of ply-wood with clamps to the horses with a 25lb iron weight on the 'shelf' of each saw horse. That was pretty darned good overall. However, it had unwanted vertical flex on the unsupported portion where the rear of my rig was. Comfortable but less then ideal.

This year I replace the ply wood with a 'deck' constructed from oak-veneer (both sides) MDF and construction grade redwood 2x4s.

This 'deck' is not primarily used for shooting and it has four short legs to raise it off the ground or other table or whatever as needed.

I framed in the underside between the legs and filled it with sand. The deck weighs about 40-50lbs and is EXTREMELY stiff and heavy.

The deck legs, strictly a coincidence (okay not a coincidence) are exactly short enough for the deck to fit under my cross-bed tool box.

Carries so easy and yet is so stiff and heavy and very little up/down or side-to-side flex and still the eight legs will splay and settle enough to not have any rickety behavior unless its sitting on a pile of uneven rocks or something insane which would not work for any table anyway.

Unbeatable.

You guys can TELL me there is a better one but I know there is not.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Danv
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky1 View Post
Here are a few to ponder:

#3 looks pretty good to me.
Looks good and sturdy but where does the lefty sit, me???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 AM
BigSky1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just build a mirror image.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post

The range I go to has concrete benches on the main range and welded, steel tubing-framed, and the tops are typical 2x6 planks bolted to the frame for the small bore and air rifle competitions. The 2x6s are the new fangled ones with press-board core and poly something exterior in the faux rough-sawn finish.

I HATE the concrete benches because I cannot sit 'behind' the rig due to the rear cinder-block wall supporting the slab top. I cannot stand bending over sideways to shoot.

The other benches are very heavy. And the legs pattern is triangle which allows shooter sit beside or behind. Much better.

EXCEPT that the framed-planked benches, which are VERY stiff and perpendicular NEVER fail to be rickety. One has to bring his own wedges to shore them up. Besides that, the FLEX laterally really, really bad. In ARA matches you MUST use the same benches as the rest of the flock. However, for practice, the range benches can be moved aside. I bring my own.

Mine consists of two folding plastic saw-horses. The GOOD kind. Eight legs that will all splay and conform to the ground be it imperfect concrete or dirt in the field.

Last year I was using a single piece of ply-wood with clamps to the horses with a 25lb iron weight on the 'shelf' of each saw horse. That was pretty darned good overall. However, it had unwanted vertical flex on the unsupported portion where the rear of my rig was. Comfortable but less then ideal.

This year I replace the ply wood with a 'deck' constructed from oak-veneer (both sides) MDF and construction grade redwood 2x4s.

This 'deck' is not primarily used for shooting and it has four short legs to raise it off the ground or other table or whatever as needed.

I framed in the underside between the legs and filled it with sand. The deck weighs about 40-50lbs and is EXTREMELY stiff and heavy.

The deck legs, strictly a coincidence (okay not a coincidence) are exactly short enough for the deck to fit under my cross-bed tool box.

Carries so easy and yet is so stiff and heavy and very little up/down or side-to-side flex and still the eight legs will splay and settle enough to not have any rickety behavior unless its sitting on a pile of uneven rocks or something insane which would not work for any table anyway.

Unbeatable.

Good GRIEF!! 86 do you own a semi truck? That is the only way that much weight and STUFF seems portable. That thing, if I am reading right, would put me back in the hospital the first time I tried to move it!!

Sir you are a kick, You come up with some very different stuff. Can we see a p;icture of the portable shooting castle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-26-2016, 02:01 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes sir, Charlie Brown.

Carries easy, fits under my cross-bed tool box, sets up in seconds, yet super stable and cheap to make.

Find pics in the SuperStock rest thread.

No more side talk not related to shooting games!

DIRECTLY that is.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 AM
17ghogkiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post

Unbeatable.

This game should be easy at 50 for you then. This is what I used several years ago

Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 AM
17ghogkiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Someone else can run this game as I won't be updating the list anymore.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Tack Driving Range Game has been continued, and moved. Here is a link.https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=920273.