Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:10 PM
slash5net

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FN / Browning Semi Auto

Just picked it up on the weekend at a gun show. Pretty good shape, blue getting a bit thin but still OK. $150 Cdn, about $110 US, couldn't pass it up.

Anyone got any ideas on age?
I found a reference at Brownells about the Model A, Type I, II, III, IV. Mine is a model A for sure which dates it before 1963.
It is not grooved for a scope. Anyone know what the differences for the Type I, II, III, IV are? Or are they just talking about the grades?

Downloaded the manual from Browning. Action looked a little dirty, looked through the manual for the takedown proceedure. What a great setup - in about 30 seconds you have a pile of parts, all easily accessible for cleaning. And, boy did it need it. The action was solid with greasy black crud - you almost couldn't see the parts that made it up. Scrubbed it with mineral spirits and it cleaned up nicely (took two changes of cleaner). Lubed with DriSlide. Cleaned and lubed the magazine.

Went to the range and shot for an hour. Great, reliable little gun. Ran a bunch of target ammo through it without any problems.
Trigger is a little crunchy, maybe need to clean some more and lube the sear. Accuracy was about the best I can do with open sights.

One problem, anyone got any tips? When racking the action to load the first round, most of the time the shell is pushed so stongly by the magazine that it flips up and around - if the gun is upright, it falls out of the action. I found I needed to put my finger in to keep the shell aligned with the bolt, then it would chamber no problem. Never has a problem when shooting.

Little tricky to shoot offhand - with a target style stance, your hand wants to go right on the bolt. You would only do it once. Got to keep your hands and arms out of the way - between the bits of burning powder and hot shells, long sleeves are a good idea.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:43 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb FN / Browning Semi Auto

slash5net,

Look at the "Sticky" Post at the top of this Forum for a Link to Browning, and how to determine the age of your firearm from the serial number.

The early Browning Semi Autos were made by FN, through ~ 1976.

Miroku made the rifles from 1976 on, and their rifles have a two letter code suffix to the SN to signify the year of manufacture.

Type I, II, III & IV are "Grades":
Grade I, II, & III were made by FN & Miroku.
Grade IV was only made by Miroku.

Enjoy your new toy......! !
Old 09-03-2003, 09:29 AM
slash5net

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: FN / Browning Semi Auto

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMike
slash5net,

Look at the "Sticky" Post at the top of this Forum for a Link to Browning, and how to determine the age of your firearm from the serial number.
Already checked that out but it only works for the Browning marked guns, post 1963 - not the FN, pre 63 guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 08:41 PM
JohnBT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The chart in the back of the Blue Book says "1956-1964 Numeric only, 5 digits or less"
The next entry continues with 1965 - "5T or 5E prefix before Ser. No."
1966 is 6T or 6E, etc.

I'm too lazy to type out all of the details of the FN Grades, so here are some high points:

Grade I - lightly engraved, blue trigger, checkered walnut.
Grade II - grey chromed receiver, gold plated trigger, better wood, engraved squirrels and pairie dogs.
Grade III - coin or grey chromed receiver, even better wood, engraved dog flushing game.

I need to get one of these. I've always liked them, but never owned one.

John
Old 09-06-2003, 11:13 AM
ROD BROWN
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Confused

What year did Browning begin to groove the receivers for a scope? And what year did they stop grooving the receiver.I had a Browning take down that was made in 1961 and the receiver was grooved.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:16 PM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb Grooved Rimfire Reveivers

ROD BROWN,

Most of the major firearms manufacturers started "grooving" their rimfire rifle receivers in the mid 50's...! ! This point varies with the individual manufacturer and model; some never were grooved, like the Win M52...! !
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 PM
jcampbell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm surprised to read that any Browning semi-auto take-down models were made with grooved receivers since Browning's literature on the gun impresses the point that the barrel is drilled and tapped for scope mounting so that when the gun is taken down and reassembled, the scope/barrel alignment will remain intact. Otherwise, with a manual takedown model, regardless of how snugly you feel that you have reassembled it, there will always be some small, almost imperceptable variation that will manifest itself at 50 yds, or for sure, at 100 yds.

My only objection to their arrangement is the necessity to remove the rear open sight in order to accommodate the scope mount. I think a better design would have been to decrease the sight radius by moving the rear sight about 1-inch forward thereby permitting the scope mount to be installed behind the rear sight.

But, who the hell am I to second guess John Browning!
Old 09-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Receivers were grooved until about 1965.