Who Has Their Rifle Back At T/C? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
S&W K22
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Who Has Their Rifle Back At T/C?

I'm just curious how many have sent their 22 rifles back to T/C and are waiting on them to be repaired or replaced. My "22 Classic" has been back there 18+ weeks now and no end in sight.

I did get through to them on the phone a couple of months ago and I was told they were trying to get their new guns out for the Christmas rush. How about fixing the guns they sold last Christmas?

Since then I have called a couple of times but could never actually talk to anyone. I even left my name and number as the recording requested but they never called back, but that was only a month ago.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
weemsf
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Mine is there

I sent my rifle back to TC and it has been there about a month. I hope that you hear from them soon. 18 weeks is too long to wait, but you are their "hostage" as well as I. Keep us posted.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM
weemsf

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Other TC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GAP View Post
Just for comparison, I use to own three T/C`s and none of them have required being sent back. I still own two of the three.
I have a R55 Benchmark that is great. Also, I am big into Contenders. It seems the early release four digit Classic 22's had some dsign flaw. I waited months to get mine, eight months in fact from when I ordered it to delivery. Still have high expectations of TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
S&W K22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GAP View Post
Just for comparison, I use to own three T/C`s and none of them have required being sent back. I still own two of the three.
I also have a R-55 Classic that is a real shooting maching and I could not be happier, except the trigger could be much better.

The one I sent back would not fire, or if it did, parts of the case would blow out the ejection port due to it firing before the bolt was closed. Or the firing pin would break (twice), or it would jam, or........just hold your breath for what was next! Can't believe I made it through the CMP Rimfire Sporter Match at Camp Perry last summer and still place high in the standings, even with the miss fires I had.

If you have one of the old Classics that shoot, God Bless you, you have one heck of a rifle. If it doesn't shoot, good luck, you will need it!

Not that this was addressed in the quote above, but I'm afraid I just do not call 18+ weeks of waiting, and still counting, on a rifle with a life time warrenty to be repaired good service.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
weemsf

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
No it is not

I agree, 18 weeks + is not good. I wish you the best. Perhaps there is somethign special they are trying to do for you. IMO, they should after that wait.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hello everyone,

I just agreed to purchase a Benchmark from a member. I know very little about these rifles but only heard good things about their build quality and TC service support. Yikes, now I see this thread about some need to send back some of these rifles for service. Can someone fill me in on what this is about? Is there a recall on some of these rifles for something?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 PM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Op, while I like to concentrate on the positive, this does give an interesting idea for a thread in every forum:
Who has sent their (insert brand/type of firearm) back for repair or replacement?
Wonder who's thread would be the longest

For me, have sent 1, traded 1, and sent in another for a friend. T/C destroyed mine and replaced it with requested Contender parts, the other Classics are gone and not missed.
I own multiple Contenders with no issues.
Take care,
warren
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 PM
S&W K22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
Hello everyone,

I just agreed to purchase a Benchmark from a member. I know very little about these rifles but only heard good things about their build quality and TC service support. Yikes, now I see this thread about some need to send back some of these rifles for service. Can someone fill me in on what this is about? Is there a recall on some of these rifles for something?
Don't panic yet, and no, there is no recall that I know of.

If you have one of the new R-55 Benchmark rifles coming, you are in good shape. If it is one of the first generation rifles, you MAY be OK. Shoot the rifle and see how it does. If you have problems, send it back to T/C and wait for the gun to be repaired or replaced.

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
[QUOTE=If you have one of the new R-55 Benchmark rifles coming, you are in good shape. If it is one of the first generation rifles, you MAY be OK. Shoot the rifle and see how it does. If you have problems, send it back to T/C and wait for the gun to be repaired or replaced.

Good luck. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke to the seller today and he let me know that he has not had any of the reported symptoms mentioned on the problem guns. However I'm lead to another thought. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but it relates.

Q1. Why don't we start a show and tell reference thread of the problems commonly encountered with the Classics which have resulted in warranty service. Ideally, photos of what to look for.

I'm thinking that there may still be Classics out there which have not been shot enough to cause any metal fatigue yet but could still go bad. For those of us who have not seen the indicators described previously, pics would be a great help in deciding if our Classic is showing the symptoms of needing work.

Anyone who has a problem start up could post a photo of the trouble before sending the rifle in for repair. Those needing a reference could check it out and see if their gun is showing similar tattle tales.

I realize most of us should be able to tell for ourselves when a rifle is malfunctioning, but given that various ammo and magazines combos could lead to some of the symptoms, the more we have to go on in analyzing trouble the better. I am particularly concerned about the potential safety related troubles such as firing out of battery, and chipped/cracked chambers. Seeing a suspicious dimple or bright spot on the breech is not easy to evaluate if you don't know what normal looks like.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea and I'll start a new thread on the topic.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
edsiajb
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Add me to the list....

I sent a Classic back at the beginning of Sept (chipped chamber issue). No postcard, no letter, nothing at all from TC. I finally called in November and they said my rifle will be replaced. I asked "when" and I think I heard the girl chuckle. She said they didn't ever know an answer to the "when" question.

I think I'm now at 16+ weeks (without actually doing the math).

I am NOT impressed with TC's service and will probably never own another of their products. And, since they are now owned by S&W, I guess I can add their products to the same list.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The problem in replacing these rifles were long lead time after last production run ended and they started another gun in production I will assume. Marlin does this, it would have to be a BIG factory to make all models at one time.

Anyway I was told "probably spring" when I pressed individual and that leads me to believe they do just like Marlin and other companies. So when I was offered a G2 of my choice I mulled it over for about a month and excepted the G2 and did it too close to Christmas so I didn't get it till yesterday. But as I said I have no regrets, and it will make an much better starter gun for my oldest grandson in the spring then anything I had till now.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Silver Lynx returned....

Sent my Silver Lynx back to TC the first part of December. Chip in the extractor slot. I have not contacted them about the progress of the repairs. I mailed my Marlin 60 (broken receiver) the same day, and got it back in excellent condition before Christmas. I am sure TC will repair or replace as early as possible. It would be nice if they were a little faster in the repair dept. If I have to wait 18 weeks for my rifle that will shoot less that 3/8" groups at 50 yards .......... I'll sure miss it. It was my "go to" rifle. I just hope my Benchmark Classic doesn't have any problems. It does help fill the void. I am also hopeful the rifle shoots as accurate after the repairs. How accurate are the replacement rifles? Anyone know?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 AM
wreckhog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Sent my Silver Lynx back to TC the first part of December. Chip in the extractor slot. I have not contacted them about the progress of the repairs. I mailed my Marlin 60 (broken receiver) the same day, and got it back in excellent condition before Christmas. I am sure TC will repair or replace as early as possible. It would be nice if they were a little faster in the repair dept. If I have to wait 18 weeks for my rifle that will shoot less that 3/8" groups at 50 yards .......... I'll sure miss it. It was my "go to" rifle. I just hope my Benchmark Classic doesn't have any problems. It does help fill the void. I am also hopeful the rifle shoots as accurate after the repairs. How accurate are the replacement rifles? Anyone know?
They got mine 12/1. Still have not looked at it. Will call in mid Feb.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 AM
construe24
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke to the seller today and he let me know that he has not had any of the reported symptoms mentioned on the problem guns. However I'm lead to another thought. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but it relates.

Q1. Why don't we start a show and tell reference thread of the problems commonly encountered with the Classics which have resulted in warranty service. Ideally, photos of what to look for.

I'm thinking that there may still be Classics out there which have not been shot enough to cause any metal fatigue yet but could still go bad. For those of us who have not seen the indicators described previously, pics would be a great help in deciding if our Classic is showing the symptoms of needing work.

Anyone who has a problem start up could post a photo of the trouble before sending the rifle in for repair. Those needing a reference could check it out and see if their gun is showing similar tattle tales.

I realize most of us should be able to tell for ourselves when a rifle is malfunctioning, but given that various ammo and magazines combos could lead to some of the symptoms, the more we have to go on in analyzing trouble the better. I am particularly concerned about the potential safety related troubles such as firing out of battery, and chipped/cracked chambers. Seeing a suspicious dimple or bright spot on the breech is not easy to evaluate if you don't know what normal looks like.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea and I'll start a new thread on the topic.
Hi Guys
I own a classic which I purchased in 2002. Serial number 15081. Probably have 300 rounds through it at this time. Shoots tiny groups. Have not had any issues yet but after reading all the comments, what should I be looking for.Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You should be looking for more time to go shoot. 300 rounds in 8 years? Seriously?......