Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
nitforfun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W MP15 22 compaired to the colt M4 ops

well all i can say is Smith did their home work and has just put out a very good rifle
when this rifle comes on line strong it is going to out sell the colt 3 to one if not more. the M&P out the gate is more like an AR than the colt as far as features are concerned it has trigger parts that can be swaped out with the real AR and the barrel is a full metal barrel where the colt is aluminum tube with a very small barrel inside the fake barrel. it just erks the heck out of me to have to loosen the flash ihder to break down the colt. the first colt i bought i had to take back due to the bolt binding and the second colt did alot better but still just isn't up tocolt standards in my opinion and i think it will come back to haunt them in the long run for not making it it little like its big brother. i know people are saying that the Smith is plastic well the people back in the sixties said the same thing about the M16 and look where it is today. all i can say is i just finished firing about 150 rounds and had one failure to fire and that was the bullet its self because i turned it a few times and all strikes were deep. as for fit and finish i think it is top notch and the only thing that could be better is the barrel finish but other wise it is great. Don't get me wrong the colt looks good but i would prefer function over looks just a little better

i'm not going to bash the colt because thats just not the way i work, mine has few problems that i don't like but thats what i get for not doing more research before i bought it

i think Smith has a winner here and once it starts hitting the self in big numbers i think colt will have a run for its money
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
RimfireRich22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
nice review I agree with you in that colt should have overseen the project a bit better.If it broke down like the smith,and didnt have the barrel liner,it would be a winner imo.Not enough for me to get rid of my colt but,it still does suck not to be able to take the bolt out.
Just curious how much was the cost? How much are extra mags?Are the mags good quality?
How would you compare the two triggers pull weight wise And are the receiver pins nice and tight?
Oh yeah we NEED pics the suspense is killing me Im really thinking about checking one out.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
nitforfun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hello

i will post pictures this weekend

as for mag quality i think the mags are just as good as the colts if not better
price for the rifle was 444.00 out the door with taxes................ 415.00 on the shelf

my other dealer (whittaker guns ) has them for 399.99

as for the trigger it has the same feel as the MP AR15 223 and it can be changed out to a two stage trigger like rock river arms so that is something that can be changed to ones liking. a hogue grip can be added it one like those as well

Whittaker said that the mags alone arenot out yet so not sure about when they will be available but the price would probably be aboutthe same as the colt mags

as for the colt and its mags my colt i can take and pull the mags outwithout pushing the mag release button i called colt and they sent a new mag release but it does the same thing. it has a radius on the front side that holds the mag and i think it should be shape to hold the mag firmly. like i said i'm not bashing the colt just stating my issues with mine

yes the receiver pins are nice and tight but can be pushed out by hand without a punch. no need for a accuwedge at all

and you are right if the colt broke down like its big brother then it would be hotter item than what it is now .....its just that when people see how user friendly the S&W is and both the colt and S&W are sitting on the shelf i think the smith will be the one going home withthat person
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
RimfireRich22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
im curious as too the strength of the receiver being polymer.Im sure its tough stuff like a glock,but how does it feel?
Great price btw.Heck for $399 at whittaker's one would be hard pressed NOT to buy one.
You do know that your really making me want one right.the pics will be the icing on the cake.I think maybe i should have waited also for the smith to come out
congrats and enjoy that new toy
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 PM
mag318
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally got my hands on an M&P 22 and I think it will really steal Colts thunder when they become widely available. The Smith takes down like the Colt should have and even the bolt hold open latch works. I liked my Colt up till now and still think it's looks cooler, but that's all. Like many the fact that you can't remove the bolt carrier easily on the Colt really bothers me. Colt got the jump on Smith and Wesson but once shooters see and handle to M&P15 22 I'm sure the M&P will be more popular.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
FlyAF
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I consider the mags excellent quality. Cost delivered to me from S&W is $25.04, don't know about 10 rounders yet. A barrell shroud will be available in October. I don't know what that means or what it will look like. I like the look of mine as is.
I think the pics on Gunblast.com are the best.
Mine has had no failures of any kind.

Talking about the M&P obviously. I have no hands on with the colt but if you put a bolt release on it it should function and not be there for looks.

Last edited by FlyAF; 08-14-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
EAJ
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Waiting on M&P15-22 to be delivered on Thursday. No extra mags were available, but they were accepting backorders for $20 each. Ordered two for $46 delivered. Hope they're available soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The action on the S&W is similar to an Atchisson kit.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
ELEY
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
99% (63)
Thumbs up Good For Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitforfun View Post
well all i can say is Smith did their home work and has just put out a very good rifle
when this rifle comes on line strong it is going to out sell the colt 3 to one if not more. the M&P out the gate is more like an AR than the colt as far as features are concerned it has trigger parts that can be swaped out with the real AR and the barrel is a full metal barrel where the colt is aluminum tube with a very small barrel inside the fake barrel. it just erks the heck out of me to have to loosen the flash ihder to break down the colt. the first colt i bought i had to take back due to the bolt binding and the second colt did alot better but still just isn't up tocolt standards in my opinion and i think it will come back to haunt them in the long run for not making it it little like its big brother. i know people are saying that the Smith is plastic well the people back in the sixties said the same thing about the M16 and look where it is today. all i can say is i just finished firing about 150 rounds and had one failure to fire and that was the bullet its self because i turned it a few times and all strikes were deep. as for fit and finish i think it is top notch and the only thing that could be better is the barrel finish but other wise it is great. Don't get me wrong the colt looks good but i would prefer function over looks just a little better

i'm not going to bash the colt because thats just not the way i work, mine has few problems that i don't like but thats what i get for not doing more research before i bought it

i think Smith has a winner here and once it starts hitting the self in big numbers i think colt will have a run for its money
After 2 JUNK BROKE COLTS i got my S&W MP-22 sat ($400 OTD) i will shoot in the morin.the ONLY thing that would make it LOOK better is a flash hider.IF we all call S&W and ask, they will build 1 IF they get ENOUGH phone calls. 1 800 331-0852.if they are not already.thanks john
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Gymrat500

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't wait to get one

I saw that the were goning to produce these a few months back and have been looking forward to getting one. But, my job had other plans and the boss said I am not allowed to buy any more guns while I am laid off, so I am trying to find a job ASAP!!!
Thanks for rubbing salt in the wounds!!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 PM
mattz357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am so glad to hear all the good news about the M&P. I got mine over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I am really happy the mags are so cheap, I can't wait to get a few extras.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Princi
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the information. I was seriously considering the Colt, which I understand is actually made by Umarex, the parent company of Walther, and now I think I'll go for the S&W. Does anyone know what company is really making these for S&W? It is hard to tell these days without a score card.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 AM
JRDRI

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The M&P15-22 is built at the S&W factory in Springfield, MA.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 AM
DemskeetSkeet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone have some iron sight groupings from the range?

Looking to get a Smith but would like to know the accuracy so I can shoot some small game with the peep sights.

I think I might be going to put one on lay-away!!!

Should have it in a couple of months.

Anyone recommend some accessories?

I am new to the AR line and I heard you can put better standard accessories for it that would fit .223 AR's.

Are there any "cool" rail covers because I don't plain on using lights, lasers, or scopes, etc.

Thanks.

Anyone have some pictures?