Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-22-2003, 03:16 PM
marcb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning Semi-Auto 22

I've been using my brother-in-law's old JC Higgins semi-auto 22, and it's one really nice rifle. Tube magazine is easy to load, and so far after 200 rounds, only 1 jam.

Naturally, I have to get my own 22, but for some reason the newer 22's just don't seem to be made as well as the older ones.

I've been looking at the Ruger 10/22 stainless steel, hear it's a good rifle, but it just doesn't seem as well made as the old JC higgins. I also hear the 10/22 has plastic in the trigger, and an aluminum receiver.

The Browning Semi-Auto 22 looks like a hearty old style 22 (at least from the catalog pictures), and I'm wondering how it is in reality? The one thing I did notice about this barrel, is it's tapered, and and at the muzzel end is noticeably smaller than the 10/22, or Marlin 60. Does the thinner barrel overheat faster, and affect accuracy? I was told the Browning is all steel.

I only plan to use on the range for target practice/plinking, and have no desire to go crazy with modifications. I just want a good solid 22 auto.

Any helpful assistance will be appreciated. Thank you
Old 06-22-2003, 03:37 PM
fullchoke
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Browning

marcb,

My first .22 was a Browning Semi-Auto. That was 40 years ago. I still have it and it still shoots very well. I won't tell you it never jams. I will tell you it hasn't jammed often in all the years I've shot it. And it has been shot a lot. It is easy to tear down for a thorough cleaning.

The Browning is all steel. Barrel overheating has never been a problem to me.

The Browning is fairly expensive compared to the Ruger and the Marlin 60. But I believe it will last a lifetime.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Jake In TX
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a Browning semi-automatic rifle at a gun show several years ago, and had to get a second one for my wife. I personally have not had a failure to feed or fire. Browning has the manual on its web site, for field stripping and cleaning instructions. I really like ours. The only possible problem is the ejection onto one's wrist. A little forethought of hand placement or long sleeve usage usually takes care of that.

Jake in TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Cloud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Semi-Auto 22

I was looking for a semiauto rimfire last year, just like you are now. I looked around and got the traditional take-down classic from browning. I have enjoyed the rifle, which is a Grade I. You can get a Grade VI if you really want something fancy.

This is a very light rifle, of small proportions. The balance is great. The rifle feels a little bit delicate though, so I would not recommend it to ham-fisted teenagers.

You will need a special barrel mount if you decide to put a scope on it. However, the gun is such a work of art aesthetically that a scope would spoil the looks.

The gun was a bit expensive at about $400.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Zircon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now, now

I was one of those "ham-fisted teenagers" 40 years ago learning to shoot with a Browning .22 Semi-Auto. I still have it, and it still shoots great. It is a sweat little rifle - accurate enough for plinking, light enough to carry all day, and robust enough to last a lifetime. You won't go wrong with this rifle.

Zircon