Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My old .22

Hey guys I'm pretty new here and this is my Remington 550-i. Manufacture date is 1946, and it really needs to be refinished. I've never done anything like that before so it's going to be interesting! Let me know what you think.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
hiddenhider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the forum.

So what look are you going for?

Do you want it to look new or just clean her up a bit?

I think she looks pretty good from here.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's actually pretty bad just my cell phone pictures don't reveal it. My grandpa got this gun when he came back from the service so I'd like to make it look original again. Here are some more detailed pictures of the carnage.

Any tips or recommendations? I'm 19 and I have no experience refinishing guns! I took metals all four years when I was in high school instead of woods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
hiddenhider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That'll come out really nice.

You can do a search of the forums for different refinishing techniques, some of the guys can really work some magic.

You'll want to chemically strip the old finish off but don't use sandpaper on it at all, you'll end up rounding the edges off. Steel wool works really good, you can buy 00, 000 and 0000 at Wally World.

Take your time, steam out the dents if you've got them, it'll come out real nice. But like you said it's a 1946 so it's carrying some history in those deeper dings.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:12 PM
hiddenhider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ght=oil+finish

Check this out.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Ralfus

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenhider View Post

Good advice there. It may be a little intimidating for an amateur though, but a really good write-up nevertheless.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks! A lot of good info in there. I guess I'm fortunate that it doesn't really have any dents - just scratches from being used for 60 years! Hopefully I don't screw it up so it can be used for another 60, well operating, years
Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
deserttrans
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great ole rifle....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only thing I really don't like is the shell deflector or whatever you would call it... But no big deal I always just take it off when shooting. And the range I go to requires the bolt to be locked open during cease-fire and you have to stick something in it because there is no way to lock it by pushing it in or anything...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
riflesmithy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You'll grow to love the shell deflector,...

especially at the shooting range. Without it spent casings can and will fly erratically, you don't want to rain hot brass down the shirt-collar of a nearby shooter.

As for holding the breech open maybe this will prove helpful...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...le=SAF-T-ROUND

The Remington 550-1, as well as the earlier 550, is a timelessly classic design.

Keep us posted,

smithy
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 PM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh come on now! What would shooting be without the fear of hot brass raining down peoples shirts??? I'll just make sure my girlfriend is wearing a low-cut shirt and try to have some fun
No, but the reason I don't like it is because clearing jams is a little more difficult. No big deal though and I see what you're saying. When I was younger I caught a casing in mid air thinking it would be cool! Just one more decision I regret...
I'm actually going to go buy some supplies to get this ball rolling right now since I don't have class on Fridays. Good idea about keeping the chamber open too might have to see if anyone sells those locally.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 AM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, I doubt I'll get any responses this late at night so I'm going to start working on it, but I do have a question. What color is this originally? I bought everything besides the stain because I thought maybe someone would know the exact color.
The progress:

Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Lefty Dude
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=GTI=- Zach View Post
The only thing I really don't like is the shell deflector or whatever you would call it... But no big deal I always just take it off when shooting. And the range I go to requires the bolt to be locked open during cease-fire and you have to stick something in it because there is no way to lock it by pushing it in or anything...
I remove the deflector when I shoot. As a Lefty I get the hot brass raining down on my right wrist & forearm. Not a pleasant feeling to say the least.

With it removed, I am a happy shooter.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:43 AM
roothog
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
When I reworked my Granddads old 550 I stripped it with stain remover, smothed it with steel wool ,and then just went back with a oil/ hand rub finish. May not be an option for you, as you want yours original. I just like oil on walnut. And repairs from field scratches and dings are more easily repaired. Just a thought! RH
Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 AM
-=GTI=- Zach

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess that could be an option but I'll know more once I get the current finish off. I'm loving this 550-1 more and more every second! It was made in 1946 and it's easier to take apart and clean than my 2009 Mossberg 702! That isn't exactly the definition of progress