An idea: camp single shot pistol based on the Contender - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:21 PM
alukban
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Niiice...

Very nice! Now I can play with drawing over it and stuff. Oh yeah, your image link was missing the "http://" part at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
Here it is without the wood and rubber. I'm sure you will understand that I'd rather ot remove the scope. It is sorta sighted in now.
BTW the barrel is exactly 6.25 inches.

Also, how did you view the image? I only see it as a text url.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Slowpoke
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WooHoo. I learned two things today. Somebody liked something I did, and how to post a picture.
Thanks.
If I were doing it over, I would probably go for a small red dot sight. The scope made sight radius moot, as it is only 1.3 power. Also, I did not have to figure out how to mount a front sight.

Last edited by Slowpoke; 12-08-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
thanks for the pics folks . . .

. . . all of them look awesome. Had no idea so many people already figured this one out - that Howday looks kinda painful to shoot though. My hands would fly off when shot, ala GI Joe and the Kung Fu grip . . .

Slowpoke, that is a very hip looking pistol. I thought a scope on a pistol that short would look strange, but I was wrong - it looks okay. Those old Phantoms are nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 AM
alukban
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fooling around

These are from slowpoke's pics...

The entire visual balance of the pistol changes when you remove the "visually massive" forend stock. The trigger guard and extension still clearly defines it as a Contender and it cannot be confused with a lowly Stevens Model 35. It already looks mighty handy

Last edited by alukban; 08-18-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Slowpoke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ya'know, TC makes a locking hinge pin, so you don't have to come up with anything special. The more stock parts you use, the easier it will be to duplicate.
BTW, I put the pegboard background there so it would be easy to dimension.
I was comparing the old contender with the G2 this morning. The G2 is a LOT easier to open with a short grip.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Okay, 'bout that grip . . .

. . . it is the large frame Dan Wesson which comes in round tang form. Hogue (among others) makes a grip with a similar profile you have above.

http://www.wholesalehunter.net/outdo...000-Grips.html

The small frame Dan Wesson comes with a square tang, so it pays to make sure its the right one. Well, that or use putty to fill in the difference.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM
alukban
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel chop

How does the pistol shoot after the barrel chop Slowpoke? I'm thinking of getting a bull barrel and chopping it also. Did you do the chop and crowning yourself?

I plan on getting a dovetail fixture and putting in a tall front sight after the chop. I'm kinda concered I'll lose some accuracy. These barrels aren't choked, are they?

I found the E. Arthur Brown locking pin for the G2 but I can't seem to find the one for the old Contenders. I'll try the T/C home page later tonight.

I like that Hogue grip BTW I figure I'll actually use an old walnut grip without finger grooves and modify that. Othewise, I'll start from a walnut blank from scratch. I planning on some stippled panels...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Slowpoke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How does the pistol shoot after the barrel chop Slowpoke?
...Better than I can hold offhand. They don't call me the shakiest gun in the West for nothing...

I'm thinking of getting a bull barrel and chopping it also. Did you do the chop and crowning yourself?
...Yes. I used one of those adjustable squares and probably set it to 89 deg or so. Used Dykem on the face and took down high spots with a file. Finished up with the round head brass screw and fine grit abrasive method. I got a small amount of abrasive by soaking some non-waterproof carborundum cloth in water. The glue disolved and the abrasive wiped off. I probably just gave a heart attack to those guys who use the lathe for this. I wish I had one, and a place to put it.

I plan on getting a dovetail fixture and putting in a tall front sight after the chop. I'm kinda concered I'll lose some accuracy. These barrels aren't choked, are they?
...I don't know about that, but I have never heard they were. I also think that shortening a pistol barrel has no negative effect on the accuracy of that particular barrel, assuming the new crown is good.

I found the E. Arthur Brown locking pin for the G2 but I can't seem to find the one for the old Contenders. I'll try the T/C home page later tonight.
...As far as I know, the hinge pins are identical for all contenders.

I like that Hogue grip BTW I figure I'll actually use an old walnut grip without finger grooves and modify that. Othewise, I'll start from a walnut blank from scratch. I planning on some stippled panels...
...Making grips is the one area of guns/shooting where you can really have fun, cheaply. If it doesn't turn out right, you call it a "prototype" and make another.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Knifemaker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's pretty cool, I have a 357 Max barrel I may end up doing that with and then getting it cromed.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 PM
murray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I sure wish Pachmayr would make some grips for the G2
Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
I sure wish Pachmayr would make some grips for the G2
They do now - Christmas in August!

http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/specialty.htm

Mid South Shooters Supply has them on sale at this time - got a flyer from them two days ago.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...0SummerTab.pdf

Last edited by j.r. guerra in s. texas; 08-21-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:47 PM
murray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Talk about wishful thinking!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
PO2Hammer
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I need to get a photo bucket account.

I had nearly the same idea as yours.

I started with a bare G2 frame, had a custom 7" .357 mag barrel built by MGM ($230) with open sights. A .22lr is next.

I consider .357 mag and .22lr as the primary camp and field rounds.

I took the grip and ground it down to a 'round butt' style, similar to the drawings above, the fore end was ground down to the bare minimum, about 4" long so the barrel wouldn't look odd. Then oiled all the wood.

A set of Bellm springs brought the trigger down to about 3 or 4 pounds, I didn't want a light trigger on a field gun.

Next up I plan on parkerizing the frame exept for the polished flats and the polished area of the trigger guard. This should help give it an old time feel.

The result is a compact single shot that looks like it was designed that way. It's only an inch longer than my 4.25" single action revolver.

Now I need to start looking at ways to make a holster.

I'll try to get some pics posted.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
alukban
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That sounds like agreat pistol!

Please post pics as soon as you can! I'd love to see 'em...
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
PO2Hammer
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, my first attempt at posting pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

The barrel is a 7" .357 Magnum from MGM with a Shilen .358" 1:14 twist bore.

The grip is a modified stock G2 grip, I tried to reduce the overall apparent size of the grip by roundbutting it and reducing the area that covers the pins. The oil finish is perfect with wet or dry hands, always giving a little slip with recoil, but never feels slippery. I find polyurethane can be too 'grippy' under recoil.

The forend was a competitor style forend from a 10" barrel ground down to match the frame lines and shortened.

The rear sight is an older style that is shorter. The adjustment screw slots are a perfect match for a cartidge rim, which is a nice feature outdoors.

Last edited by PO2Hammer; 09-06-2008 at 11:58 AM.