Rcbif's MP-22 Charger Build (HK MP-5 look-alike) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:17 AM
rcbif

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rcbif's MP-22 Charger Build (HK MP-5 look-alike)

Could post this in the Charger forum, but figured some may be interested in a similar setup for SBR or rifle length....

I finished this one the other-day.

Bought a Charger, put 50rnds thru it, and stripped it and sold the stock and barrel.

Bought a 12" Bull Barrel. Cut down to around 6", and turned down with two diameter steps at the muzzle end. One step for a modified G3 front sight base, and the other for 1/2x28 threads. The G3 front sight base is pinned in place. The barrel assembly painted with Brownells Alumahyde semigloss.

The rear sight base is a G-3 sight base cut down lengthwise, and lowered and given a 3" radius. 2+ hours of dremel work and hand sanding to get the right profile. Two holes added to mount to existing scope mount rail holes in charger receiver.

Rear sight is modified. About .050 taken off the bottom of drum and the threaded disk had material removed top and bottom to get my elevation correct. Basically needed to be really low. No aftermaket railed sight gets low enough, though a williams ace-in-hole may work.

The stock is a Choate fixed 10-22 stock but down front and rear. Topped off with a Hera arms folding adapter with it's thread relief portion machined off and finally a Shockwave 2.0 brace.

It is a blast to shoot, and I had people trying to buy it off of me while it was still in WIP stage while testing at the range

Old 11-19-2018, 09:33 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Nicely done!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice!

I just installed a Hera SFU on my Charger, last night, and like it. I'm also using the Blade 2.0. I'll have to get some new photos and update my thread in the "Anything 10/22" forum.

I like what you did with the sights. But with my eyes I decided to go with a red dot. Really cool idea though.

And I have an old Choate fixed stock like that, left over from back in the day. I think it's in the back of a closet. I briefly considered pulling it out and seeing if I could modify it to accept a brace setup, but decided to go with a PMACA chassis instead since it was a simple bolt on affair. But, your solution looks good and could have saved some $$ since I already have the Choate. I'll have to keep that in mind if I do another. So, I guess you just bolted the SFU directly to the stock after cutting off the rear?

These are FUN little guns!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 07:56 PM
rcbif

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaposer View Post
Nice!

So, I guess you just bolted the SFU directly to the stock after cutting off the rear?

These are FUN little guns!
Thanks, and yep, though I did machine off part of the Hera, or else there would be a gap. If you have one, you'll see what I mean. There is a reduced ring area that provides a form of thread relief.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Thanks, and yep, though I did machine off part of the Hera, or else there would be a gap. If you have one, you'll see what I mean. There is a reduced ring area that provides a form of thread relief.
Yes, I have one. In a more traditional installation, that area provides the notch for the end plate tang to engage to prevent rotation. But, in your application I can see where that area would create a gap.