Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:24 PM
8905c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Model Bearcat Problem

I have a new model Bearcat that I purchased new a few years ago, but have only shot a little over 50 rounds in it. Today, I had a chance to get out and shoot my Bearcat, along with a couple of my Single Sixes. I shot one cylinder of 5 rounds in the Bearcat. All of the rounds fired fine. Before opening the loading gate to remove the empty cases, I noticed the cylinder was not locked in position. Upon closer inspection, the cylinder latch, located in the bottom of the frame, is not coming up and locking the cylinder in position. As I stated earlier, this gun has been shot very little. Is this a common problem with the new model Bearcat? I assume I will need to send the gun to Ruger. Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:42 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not a common problem but does happen once in a great while. Easy way to correct this would send it to Ruger and let them get it corrected.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Larry in Bend

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure how common it is, but my new stainless BearCat did the same thing --- they called it freewheeling when it failed to index correctly.

I sent it back to Ruger and they didn't fix it. I sent it back again and they sent a new gun.. This one indexes correctly.

By the way --- are you SURE that the hammer was in the fired position when the cylinder was unlocked. The BearCat does NOT unload empties like your single six. You must cock to halfcock to remove empties which unlocks the cylinder.

Last edited by Larry in Bend; 04-23-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM
8905c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Larry -
Thanks for the response. Yes, unfortunately, the hammer is in the fired position and the cylinder is freewheeling. Thank you for checking. I called Ruger yesterday and will follow their instructions and send it out to them today.
8905c
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM
shootbrownelk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure seems to be a lot of complaints about Ruger's quality control on this and other forums. Ruger needs to get it together and perhaps slow down some.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought my Husqvarna 1887 revolver had this problem, but apparently until the 1893 models it was a "feature" of the type. Locks up nicely when at full cock - and dates the gun to 1892 at the latest.

I hope you can get yours fixed soon - that could prove painful and expensive.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 PM
8905c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I took the Bearcat to UPS this afternoon to be shipped to Ruger. What an experience!!! The lady working at UPS was obviously horrified at the thought of the box containing a handgun. She ask me how I wanted to ship it. I said, "I believe it has to be shipped next day air, doesn't it?" She replied, "I don't know the rules for shipping guns." I ask if she could look up the regulations relating to shipping handguns for repair, or if she could check with someone there at the facility. She said there was no body there to check with and it would take her too long to check the regulations. Then, as she was looking at a computer screen, she jumped back away from the counter where the box containing the gun was, and said, "Is this gun loaded, or is there ammunition in the box?" I told her the gun was not loaded and there was no ammunition in the box. She then questioned the value of the gun. I told her the value of the gun. She informed me of the shipping charges, including insurance for the value of the gun. I ask her if the charges were for next day air. She said "yes." I said, "So, shipping next day air is the regulation for a handgun?" She replied, "I don't know if shipping next day air is the regulation, but the sooner they get it, the sooner you will get it back!"
I paid the charges and left. How ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Surprised Ruger didn't send you a shipping able for a almost new gun.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Larry in Bend

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem33 View Post
Surprised Ruger didn't send you a shipping able for a almost new gun.
Exactly. When you said you called Ruger, I assumed they were providing you with a shipping label.

I'd call them again.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 PM
8905c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my Bearcat back from Ruger about an hour ago, and the saga continues. The packing slip states; "Replaced cylinder latch, trigger repair, safety function check and test firing have been completed. Released for shipping. However, there is a yellow plastic device seated in the throats of 2 chambers in the cylinder. I tried to remove the cylinder to remove this piece of plastic, but I am unable to remove the cylinder with the plastic device in place. What is going on with Ruger?? I tried to include a picture with this post, but am not able to attach the photo.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You should be able to pull the cylinder pin, half cock the hammer and remove the cylinder. Ruger ships all of their Single Sixes and Bearcats with those little two-chamber plugs these days.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 PM
mythotto

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes all new Bearcat's have the safety caps - Pull the cylinder pin - Half cock - then open the gate and the cylinder should roll out.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:36 PM
mythotto

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sorry for repeating what SS just wrote... I need to learn to read all the posts
Old 05-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Not a common problem but does happen once in a great while. Easy way to correct this would send it to Ruger and let them get it corrected.
Probably the cheapest, too. Shipping a handgun is prohibitively expensive for we ordinary mortals. If you don't have an FFL or can't get an FFL to ship USPS for you (for a fee, of course), you'll have to go with UPS or FedEx overnight air, which last time I did it cost about $40--and that was several years ago. Take it back to the dealer and get him to return it or call Ruger yourself. they'll most likely send you a mailing label that'll allow you to return it free.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM
ftr53
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The easiest way for me to get the base pin out is to bring the hammer to half-cock first, releasing the bolt from the stop notch, and then pull the base pin out. Without the locking bolt in the notch, the pin removal is much easier. At least is is for me.