Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
kchap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
R-55 vs. 'classic'

New member, here. Have been enjoying the site.

Am about to purchase a TC .22; can anyone tell me when the R-55 series began? What changes were made from the original 'classic' to the new R-55? Which NIB would you buy for the same $? Local gun store has a 'classic' in stock, would have to order the R-55 (which is fine).

Anxious to shoot.

kchap

side note: is the 17mach2 gaining or losing popularity?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 PM
1960swede

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an early classic. It was my favorite .22 for about the 1st 100 rounds, then it started jamming. A good cleaning helped a few times then nothing helped. It would not shoot any kind of ammo without some malfunction. I finally traded it. I've heard the r55s don't have this problem.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 AM
kchap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
scope?

Thanks for the reply. I have a new R-55 Classic ordered.

Have now begun research on scopes. Anyone want to chime in with their recommendations in the $100-$200 range? Currently leaning toward a Mueller APV, Bushnell Trophy or possibly a Nikon Prostaff. Gun will be used for target shooting (informal) and occasional hunting. Would like 4 power or better. Can't yet decide on AO or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Old No7
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope for T/C

My T/C Classic Benchmark wears a Simmons 10-22 scope, which is 3-9X with an adjustable objective (needed for our winter Fun Shoots indoors at 50 feet) and a duplex reticle. I know what others say about the Simmons line, and I own a nice Weaver and top-of-the-line Leopold as well, but this scope is the right size & weight and has the features I wanted for a decent .22 scope.

Regarding jams and all with the original Classic, one could write a book if we compiled all the pro & con from this forum... From what I've heard and experienced, these typically need a break-in period of 300 to 600 rounds of HIGH speed ammo. Then, regular match ammo (standard velocity) can be used well, as long as the chamber is kept clean.

One other tip, a poster suggested I use a dry Teflon Lube on the bolt, and that's also helped quite a bit. Makes sense, if you've seen how quickly liquid-based lubes will attract dirt. And we all know how dirty .22's are...There are other decent rimfire scopes out there too, but I've had great luck with the one noted above.

Tight groups!

Old No7

Last edited by Old No7; 11-21-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM
tdart67

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
My R-55 Benchmark wears a Mueller APV. Ive been very happy with it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My T/C Classic wears a Weaver RV-7 2.5-7X. Wonderful little scope.

Both my Ruger SuperStock DSP's wear Mueller APV......The best scope for the money, period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
kchap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face oops

found the archives since posting this thread; sorry

thanks, guys for the feedback
hadn't really looked past the Simmons 22mag
not sure I want to part with the coin for a Weaver, though certainly the R-55 deserves it
Nikon continues to be a frontrunner in my mind, for some reason
got to make up my mind re: AO
the APV interests me: the polarity of opinion is not unlike that of the T/C Classic itself! What, would you say, would one have to spend to match the APV in another brand (separate thread?)

Is it me, or does it seem that the T/C Classic is the Jaguar of rimfire?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchap View Post
found the archives since posting this thread; sorry

thanks, guys for the feedback
hadn't really looked past the Simmons 22mag
not sure I want to part with the coin for a Weaver, though certainly the R-55 deserves it
Nikon continues to be a frontrunner in my mind, for some reason
got to make up my mind re: AO
the APV interests me: the polarity of opinion is not unlike that of the T/C Classic itself! What, would you say, would one have to spend to match the APV in another brand (separate thread?)

Is it me, or does it seem that the T/C Classic is the Jaguar of rimfire?[/quote]
That is an interesting way of looking at it. While 10's of thousands are out there running just great the ones that DID fail failed badly. Mine is the most accurate out of the box 22 I have ever owned and will stay right with a good CZ bolt actio shot for shot and will beat many of them. After break in it has never given me any trouble other than needing cleaning ever 800 or so rounds.

Last I looked the Weaver was $135. Not too bad.

Mueller APV is larger, has AO, has twice the magnification (14X) and come with a sun shade shipped right to your front door for $115. If you read the threads carefully you would find at least 10 positives on the APV for every Negative. Many of the negatives in the archives had never even looked thru or held one in their hand. When they did most of THEM became converts. There is a certain bunch here at RFC that will NEVER be satisfied with any scope whoose name does not start with an "L" or a "Z" That bunch refuses to even try an APV.

I was shooting with a friend yesterday who will go unnamed to protect him from the scope Nazis. He just sold a Weaver V24. The scope that he is replacing it with? Mueller APV

When I first got mine I was shooting with a bunch of older gents that can afford anything they like. They had a PILE of CZ 527s and Sako Vixens. All had "W" or "L" scope. We compared them, one at a time with my new APV. None of us could tell any difference in brightness or clarity with the "L" scopes and the big "W" scopes were actually slightly less bright. These were T and V series "W" scopes.

I have two APV's now but it is looking like I need at least one more and a Mueller Tac scope....6X-24AO.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Corsica Coatings
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am considering getting a Silver Lynx and am wondering if they seem to work out their problems with a few hundred rounds break-in? I've read some raving reviews and some that hated the gun from the start.

One of the reasons I want to get one is to use it with a suppressor which sometimes causes problems due to the "blow back" from the can. Can anyone speak from experience about the Silver Lynx with a can?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not with a can.

You just have to have paitience with these rifle for 500-700 round breakin .....it is well worth it.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM
22Freak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the silver lynx... I think it was the first year made 2004? I got it used but so far no problems at all. It's balanced well and very accurate and I like how the bolt stays open after the last shot.

Oh and thats a Nikon pro-staff 3x9 on top... perfect scope

Last edited by 22Freak; 12-18-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 PM
kchap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have received new R-55 .22. Gorgeous little rifle. Two small imperfections in the stock (a ding and a black 'bruise'). Yucky weather and Christmas deliveries have precluded that first shot (grrrrrrrrr).

Attempted to break down to clean. Got as far as the four screws to get at the action. Broke my screwdriver blade on the second screw. Ran bore snake thru, gun scrubber and lube what I could reach, then back in the box for now.

Insert large 'sigh' here.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
22Freak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same thing happened to me except I broke 2 screwdrivers. They must have a gorilla at the factory putting these things together.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those screws are loctited. Heat will help. After you do loosen them you have to go back from time to time and make sure they are tight.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Tbag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nikons are one of the most under rated scopes on the market. Lest we forget they have been making their own glass for decades, unlike many other outsourcing company's, W and L included. I have put Nikons next to the L's to compare and what a difference I see and I'm talking about more expensive L's to much cheaper Nikons. As for the Mueller while it is probably a fine scope, no experience with them so I will withhold judgement, if Vincent say's so, that is a good enough reason to check one out, they sure have a good price point. Just don't jump on the band wagon without visually seeing the difference.