Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:29 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying to get back into the game.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a not-quite-old fart who wants to get back to shooting. It has been decades, so I figured I would relearn the basics, and to me, that means a .22 rifle.

Can the gurus out there help in recommending one? I like a light trigger, a synthetic stock, carbine if possible as there is a small but hopeful chance of me taking it out into the field, acceptable accuracy with basic ammo, and by that I mean stuff like Blazer and Federal. It is going to be a good while before I try some of that costly stuff to get real performance, right now it is just basic plinking/learning/hopefully improving.

Good customer service is a must, as I'm out in the boonies, a long way from any kind of local help if issues arise.

I'll need good glass, and am thinking an investment so I can use a future rifle out to 100 yards and paper punch. So even if it is overkill for the moment, higher magnification is better.

I'm not a brand snob, I don't know enough to be one. I have had my eye on Ruger's offerings, based on luck with past purchases.

Noticing the RAR, I liked the idea of the compact, 8306 (the threaded barrel made me think dipping my toe in the suppressor waters could be fun at a later date) and wondered why it is so much more expensive than the regular rifle? The compact also comes in a nice green as an exclusive version, 08334, bringing me to yet another question: how does one know if vendors are reputable or not? Is Carolina Firearms ok? I've used SMGA before with wonderful results, and of course there is Bud's.

So what is the consensus? Honestly, anything you can think of that I haven't said could help.

Any and all help is appreciated, as are all snarky and fun comments.

Thanks muchly,
the new guy
Old 11-02-2019, 10:35 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing wrong with a RAR for what you want. Unless a suppressor is definitely in the cards, quite honestly I'd go with the standard version. Between myself, my wife, and my son we've had 5 here, 2 compacts and 3 standards, and it seems that the standards just seem to be less ammo picky. With their favorite ammo all are about the same for accuracy, a little over 1/2" at 50 yards with regular grade ammo like CCI SV, minimags, and Aguila SE. Also the longer barrel is much quieter.
Another rifle you may want to take a look at is the Tikka T1x. Much, much better accuracy, really sweet trigger, and threaded for suppressor stock. After buying my first one I sold both of our RAR compacts and just ordered another!
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the basic RAR compact model 8303 in 22LR, based on my experience with the RAR standard model in 22 WMR. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed. The 22WMR rifle shot very well right out of the box, but the 22LR compact didn't. It shot OK, just not as good as I expected. I like all the features of the RAR, and bought a standard length high comb stock insert ($20 from Ruger) for the compact model to lengthen the trigger pull length a bit, since the Compact models come with the "short" version of the stock inserts. In retrospect, I probably should have purchased the Standard length model 8301 in 22LR rather than the Compact version, but maybe I just got one of those guns that isn't as accurate as the one made the next day or the day before - luck of the draw.

I recently bought a Tikka T1x and second John the Plinker's comments on it. It shot great out of the box, and I much prefer it over the RAR Compact rifle.

That being said, if customer service is important to you, I have nothing but good things to say about my limited experience with Ruger. The only time I had to send a gun back for warranty work, they handled it easily, quickly, professionally, and the gun was back within 10 days in perfect working order. I'm not sure Tikka/Beretta, with its smaller footprint in the US, would be as good, but that's conjecture on my part.

For scopes, I'd suggest at least a 3-9 scope with AO. If you're going to get more serious about target shooting at 100 yards, you should go a bit higher. Most of my informal 22LR target shooting is done at 50 yards, and the 3-9 is perfectly adequate for that. Weaver RV9 3-9x32 AO (849398), Nikon P3 3-9x40 Target EFR (16606) or its earlier version (6734), Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 (175075), or the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO (14122) would all work fine. The Hawke would be the cheapest, then the Nikon, the Weaver, and the Leupold going up in price. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Welcome to RFC!!! We'll gladly help you spend money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 10:13 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Came to my RAR's similar to the OP. First new 22 in decades a 22 inch standard 22LR RAR. 1/2 inch 50 yard is common and has been bettered with some tweak which are not too difficult on the RAR platform. I have a 1.5 lb crisp trigger with minimal work. Just spring, bushing, and polish. Had it in a Provarmint stock for some time then bought a target RAR heavy barrel and swapped stocks. Now a fun bench gun with a 40x and a squirrel shooter sporting a 2-7 Vortex. I do like em!

KM
Old 11-05-2019, 04:56 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First off, thanks to everyone who answered!

While I like the idea of the longer barrel being quieter, I think I have to head to a bigger gun shop than in my immediate area to see what it hefts like vs a shorter rifle. While there I will try to check out the Tikka, a name I remember for having an extremely accurate .308 many years back.

Those pictures in that last post, just wow. Beautiful rifles indeed.

Thanks again,
the new guy

p.s. Where can I find a list of vendors with good reps?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:00 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG2019 View Post
p.s. Where can I find a list of vendors with good reps?
Vendors for...what?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Vendors for...what?
.22 rifles

When I run a search on gun deals, for example, you get a long list of places that sell it. However I know some of them are not too great, so I was hoping one of the resources would be a list of vendors with good reputations. Sorry if that was not clear.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Almost all of my purchases have been in local gun shops. I've only bought a few online, from Whitakker's and Brownell's. Both handled the transactions smoothly and efficiently, with no problems whatsoever. Good prices at time of purchase, good service.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM
FNG2019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Almost all of my purchases have been in local gun shops. I've only bought a few online, from Whitakker's and Brownell's. Both handled the transactions smoothly and efficiently, with no problems whatsoever. Good prices at time of purchase, good service.
Thanks for the info. I would certainly rather buy local, but there is nothing nearby that would qualify.

Anyone else want to chime in with opinions? All are welcome.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 AM
TimberToes

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
FWIW, I have once found a cool .22 at a pawn shop (Savage-Annie). Of course used can be taking a chance.

A few - three hundred in your pawn shop-pocket book is a good idea lol
Old 11-15-2019, 10:42 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Other that the scopes and mounts only vendors involve in my photos are DIP and Boyds. Oh the Pink mag is a Mall Rat SS adapter from 47 Products LLC. KM