New to me 455 FS 17HMR on the way... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:18 AM
msp2640
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me 455 FS 17HMR on the way...

Gents - My first 455 is on the way! I do have a NIB 513 that was too good of a deal to pass up, but it has never left the safe. So I'm pretty much of a newbie to the CZ rimfire family. As I've grown a bit fond of full stock rimfires lately, I thought this would be a nice find, as I don't currently have a 17 in a FS version. It was posted on the CB site as near NIB, 100 rds fired, original owner, with a Timney trigger installed. Currently on it's way East to my FFL. Thought I'd ask here, anything to look for, inspect, be wary of, etc. My plans for this rifle are for range use, maybe nice day in the woods, probably keep it unscoped for now, maybe a receiver sight in the future. Done a bit of looking around, does CZ actually make a 5 rd steel mag for the 455 in 17HMR? Not much of a fan of the 10 rd mags or plastic for the matter. Appreciate any insight, thoughts or recommendations. Bill in MA
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I don't believe they make a steel one in .17hmr/.22wmr for the 455, the 455 magnums don't share magazines with the 452/453 as do the .22lr version. Their plastic magazines are very durable and I personally use more in all my CZ's other than my Brnos.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The polymer magazines are good. The hmr and wmr mags are the same/ interchangeable. The nose cap doesn't need to come off to pull the action. It is held in only by a little wood screw. Best to leave it alone or you will be glueing it in!

Have fun, they are great little rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 10:16 AM
msp2640

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks

Appreciate the info on the mags. I'm sure they're fine, but just an OCD thing about plastic for me. I don't plan on pulling the stock off unless necessary, no barrel changes in future plans. Like most here, probably have atleast 1 or 2 others to fire the same or similar caliber, just in a different style or maker. I guess this rifle is to fill what I perceived to be "hole" in the accumulation! Noticed the new 457 series, didn't have a FS version when it was announced. Thought at some point it would be nice to find a 452 or 455 FS in the HMR caliber. Plenty of places to buy a new 455 version still, so really have not been actively looking and then this one popped up at a good price. For the most part, will this be just a shoot it and enjoy it.....or shoot it and watch for this or keep an eye out for that. I do have a few HMRs in Ruger versions, so I'm up to speed on the ammo recalls for the stuff that was made years earlier. Just wondering about the rifle itself. Thanks for the info - Bill in MA
Old 11-19-2019, 05:36 PM
papatrout65

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You are going to enjoy the little clover leafs that it will produce. They are pure distruction on groundhogs but I am sure you already know that. Enjoy.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:05 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You got me thinking that i might have to convert my 455FS 22lr to 17 hmr, just to match the WMR one i also have. But then id be stuck with a 22 barrel, with iron sights, so i decided I ll just buy a FS in 17 hmr like you , maybe...

The closestt thing for thing for the magazines i could find is a metal floor plate

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail...65032&CAT=3600
Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have a 455 FS in 22 WMR & a 452 FS in 22 LR and love them both. I prefer steel over polymer as well, but I have to say I tend to use the polymer 5 round mags in all my CZ 45x rimfires. I have never had a problem with one and I feel they actually load into the mag well easier.

I find that CCI, Hornady, & Federal (all CCI made) 17 gr TNT and/or 20 gr JSP are a bit more consistent than the BT versions . . . at least that has been my experience. The Winchester 17 HMR ammo is not worth bringing home.

I think you will find the iron sights to be fairly accurate distance wise.

Enjoy.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:19 AM
msp2640

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks

Thanks for the insight on the mags and ammo. It's currently at my FFL's now, hope to pick it up in the next day or 2. I have a fairly good stash of 17 ammo built up, mostly Hornady and Federal, if I recall correctly. The idea of having a WMR barrel to add is convenient, but truthfully I don't need it, as I have a very nice 77/22 in a full stock version in 22 WMR, from a Lipsey run a few years ago to fill that "niche". Thanks again, Bill in MA